PDA

View Full Version : How many of you need Multi-threading?

PJC
01-29-2003, 04:42 AM
AM used to have Multi-threading (using more than one CPU) but it needed a little bit of work. Hash took it out in v9 and above. Now, all of my PC's at work are Dual Xeons (and one quad Xeon) and I sure do miss having Multi-threading. How many of you have duals (or even Hyper-Threaded P4s?)

And do you think it should be added again to the program?

Wegg
01-29-2003, 07:07 AM
I really love my Dual. Lightwave eats it up. Playing Battlefield while rendering in the background is kinda nice too. . . :thumbsup:

JTalbotski
01-29-2003, 11:26 AM
My Mac is a dual G4. We've not had the ability to be multithreaded until OSX. I wonder if A:M will take advantage of that when the OSX version comes out. Maybe I'll add this to the wish list thread.

pdaley
01-29-2003, 12:45 PM
Many of the machines we have at work are duals (ranging upward from my dual 866). It would be sweet to have that other processor working.

ragtag
01-29-2003, 02:40 PM
I think the average user does not have a Dual processor machine, but for those of us that do it would be great....as long as it does not mess up stability.

Just out of curiosity (an if it's not against the license agreement), couldn't you start two instances of AM on the same dual machine and render one half of a shot on each. It would take twice the RAM, of course, but only half the time (did renders like this in early versions of Maya).

Ragnar

Ran13
01-29-2003, 03:08 PM
I, too, have a dual CPU machine.

I'm using 8.5L on Win2k. There was info on the mailing list about a registry entry that would alleviate problems A:M had with dualies, but it never worked for me.

Every time I start A:M I have to cal up the task manager and set the affinity of both Master.exe and master.icd to a single CPU or A:M will crash almost immediately upon doing anything in shaded mode. Once I do that, A:M is reasonably stable. It really is a pain in the behind, though.

When rendering animation, I use 2 instances of A:M, with the frame ranges set such that one instance renders even# frames, the other renders odd# frames. This works quite well, as long as I remember to set the affinities of each instance to separate CPU's, of course. Otherwise...CRASH...BOOM...BANG!!!

pdaley
01-29-2003, 04:23 PM
Hey Ran,
That registry trick didn't alleviate so much as it completely disabled multi-proc support. Nice 'fix'.

PJC
01-29-2003, 04:33 PM
You can start up multiple copies of AM, but we use NetRender and you can't have two instances of that running, so you're kinda screwed. For big projects I love NetRender.

I am running 8.5p++ on a WIN NT 4.0 and I have gone into the reg and changed the "Threads" to equal 1 and it runs just fine.

I think it should be re-implemented, especially with the new P4's that are HyperThreaded. 3D programs love it!

- pjc

Ran13
01-29-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by pdaley
Hey Ran,
That registry trick didn't alleviate so much as it completely disabled multi-proc support. Nice 'fix'.

Yea...I realized that, but it did nothing for me. I have the proper entry in the registry, but I still get an almost instant lock-up if I don't manually set the CPU affinity to a single CPU before I so much as breathe on the app. :(

Machine is Dual AMD 1.2GHz Palamino's on a Tyan Thunder K7 Mobo with 512Mb of 266MHz DDR RAM. The system is rock solid. I use a separate user profile which only loads the necessities (no networking services, no virus scanner, no extranneous BS that I don't need when working) to help with stability issues with A:M.

gMax, Maya PLE, XSI demo, LW Discovery are all relatively crash free in my normal environment (I've managed to crash 'em all but only under the extreme duress..."Cripes...did I actually MEAN to hit both mouse buttons and roll the scroll wheel while hitting the Enter key with my elbow all at the same time!!!"). Only A:M requires that I jump thru the extra hoops in order to achieve an semblance of stability. And we're talking 8.5 here...not the v9.x bugfest.

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.