PDA

View Full Version : global srt on rig

kidult one
09-11-2006, 10:02 PM
Noobie rigger question here! I have a simple cartoony character (no hands or feet) but i need it to do a lot of flips and twists. looking at some other rigs and the biped rig that comes with xsi they are all grouped under a global srt nul...can I animate this null for the flips? I.e. just the rotations? Coming from a 3D app that was a nightmare to rig in (any small mistake like animating a null the rig was in could cost you dearly later) im hestitant to just throw any rig on my character or to animate this null.
Would it be safe - if not, could someone point me to a flippable rig tut?
Or what about the biped guide? can u flip this rig cos then i can just adapt it for my character. (would prefer my own rig though need the rigging experience )

3DQUAKERS
09-12-2006, 06:03 AM
The best solution comes through experimentation. If I were you I would buid the rig in question, flip it, see what happens and deal with it.
Having said that, parenting the elements under one null is, of course, doable and recemmended. Just remember to Branch Select the hierarchies and place them under the null in the Explorer.
By rotating the null you would flip the character.

kidult one
09-12-2006, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the reply. I did a coulpe of tests with the biped rig that comes with xsi and a few tests on the biped guide and it seems to work good.
Now for one more question - would i be able to still mix tracks in the ani-mixer with null being animated? I did the official tuts where you make dr bunsen jump around and mix in differant movements and even line up offset movements (this was some jaw dropping stuff - really excited to give it a try!) and i want to be able to do the same with my character!

p.s. your rigging dvd looks really good - might need to invest in a copy soon!

3DQUAKERS
09-12-2006, 07:39 AM
Now for one more question - would i be able to still mix tracks in the ani-mixer with null being animated?
Any animated (or not) track can be mixed in the Animation Mixer.

p.s. your rigging dvd looks really good - might need to invest in a copy soon!
You might also consider Character Animation vol 1 (http://3dquakers1.com/webroot5/review.php?id=3) if you're new to animation in XSI.

CGTalk Moderation
09-12-2006, 07:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.