PDA

View Full Version : Constant need to reinstall Vue

BoBoZoBo
09-11-2006, 08:36 PM
I have had to reinstall Vue from scratch atleast 3 times in the past months due to constant crashes.

I try to reboot, but then I can open vue, but not any files, Vue files, custom texture files. This open dialogue box opens and then closes right away. I cannot select anything.

Any9one have any clue what the problem is?

AMD DualCore 4000
4GB RAM
nVidia 7900

The-G-Man
09-12-2006, 10:11 AM
I'd suggest going to www.memtest.org (http://www.memtest.org) and creating a boot disk from which to test your memory. Leave it on soak test overnight.

If your memory does show problems, try using your bios to increase the memory voltage a tad (don't overdo it) and then re-test to see if that helps.

I just replaced my motherboard because my memory was poorly served by it.

Check you driver/irq conflicts also. Are you using the latest video driver?

Good luck!

BoBoZoBo
09-15-2006, 12:45 AM
Hmmm, good idea.

I just havent thought of it because all my other apps seem to run fine.
Thanks

IvanB
09-15-2006, 10:03 AM
Just a thought...Have you cosidered formatting and reinstalling all your apps..From my experience, when uninstalling software with problems, a lot of the files are still present in the registry..so when you reinstall, the app refers to the existing files in the registry..if those files are corrupt the installation could also be corrupt causing problems..You could try uninstalling and then going into the regestry and removing all signs of vue, then reinstall.

EG: I had problems with lightwaves hubb..it wouldnt kick in when the app launched (as it should have..(Changing of faulty dongle issues))..I tried everything possible..went to forums etc...nothing worked...Formatted, installed all my apps...BANG everything works fine.
IvanB.

fishfood
09-15-2006, 06:43 PM
I know it's an obvious one but have you downloaded the latest version of Vue from E-on? And likewise with your hardware (motherboard and graphics card especially). I got around constant crashes by updating my motherboard's firmware, and getting the latest update from E-on. Works fine now.

BoBoZoBo
09-15-2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah, all drivers are up to date as well the latest version of Vue.

And I have thought about installing everything.. but you know how that is. Especially if Vue is the only software I have that is having issues. Looking at the kays is a good idea.

Considering the replys i guess not may of you are having a similar probrlem so it IS probably something with my system, drivers, or a trojan I have not found yet.

If any of you have other suggestions or have had similar issues givre a heads up.. thank you.

fishfood
09-16-2006, 10:55 AM
If I have a persistent problem like this, which using the latest updates won't solve, then I start playing about in msconfig.

Goto Start > Run and type msconfig

You should then get the msconfig dialogue come up. You can choose which services are run at startup. What I do is turn off as much as I think I can get away with, anything which doesn't look essential. then reboot, try the software again and see if it works or not basically.

If you do get it working like this, then you need to start turning on the items in msconfig one by one until you identify the one which causes it to crash. There are loads of sites out there in googleland which explain in much more detail the ins and outs of msconfig.

fishfood
09-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Also, I've just found this rather helpful website: http://www.art-head-start.com/escpro11/vue-crashing/

Etopia
10-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Hi BoBoZoBo,

I would have to say that reinstalling everything is a last resort especially if your other apps are running ok. I would suggest that registry and pc maintenance is key here. I use Tuneup Utilities but there is a program called ccleaner which is free and works great. I use both of these programs to clean my pc's registry before and after reinstalling any software and it seems to be working for me so far. http://www.ccleaner.com/

I would say, uninstall Vue, then clean your registry with ccleaner and Tuneup if you want to buy it. Maybe also check for spyware and viruses. Spyware Doctor and Nod32 are great programs which work well for me. Like suggested earlier you could also look at what programs are loading at startup and which are running in the background. I find that with any problem it is always a good idea to simplify the equation. Once you machine is junk free then reinstall Vue and see if it is running better. From experience I can tell you that you will still have the odd crash so save often. Hope this helps...

anevsky
10-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi - bobozo

Im having the same problem as you. Vue needs to be reinstalled all the time - after exhibiting same issues u describe. Everything else works perfectly and this is a pretty new machine - So its probably a bug in Vue - perhaps a conflict with specific hardware... though i dont think so.

I have found that certain actions i do in vue cause this and not doing them - makes for less trouble. As i recall one of these is switching between procedural and non procedural terrains - which usually i do in the beginning of a project while deciding which type to use (hh).

Im using a Tyan s2895 with 2X252's and 4gb corsair and a quadro 3450 - for your reference.

IF you got a solution let me knnow
thx

CGTalk Moderation
10-11-2006, 10:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.