PDA

View Full Version : A modeling reel: Andreas Loebenstein

Loewi
09-11-2006, 03:27 PM
Hey there!

My name is Andreas Loebenstein and I'm from Vienna, Austria. I recently graduated from Vancouver Film School, and think it is time to put my reel out here.
I am currently looking for work as a 3d modeller (hardbody/softbody, characters, enviroments bring it on!) and do not mind relocating; in fact i kinda like it. I have lived in Vancouver, Canada for the last 16 months and have now returned home for a short while.

You can find all my work on my homepage www.andreas3d.com (http://www.andreas3d.com), if you have any questions please send them to logan2@teleweb.at (http://forums.cgsociety.org/logan2@teleweb.at).

Thanks in advance!!

Quicktime mov (http://www.andreas3d.com/movies/reel.mov), rightclick 'save target as'
(needs Quicktime 7 to play)

Disclaimer: The original concept of the Hydra creature is based on a painting by Adrian Smith named 'The sisters of tiamat'

http://www.andreas3d.com/images/wolf_tb.jpg

http://www.andreas3d.com/images/hydra_tb.jpg

Software used:
Softimage XSI
Alias Maya
UVlayout
Zbrush
Deeppaint 3D
Adobe Photoshop
Adobe After effect
Sonicfoundry Soundforge

ilusiondigital
09-11-2006, 09:19 PM
My european friend, only 2 creatures but i really like, great.

My congrats

Victor Marin

Loewi
09-11-2006, 10:40 PM
i gotta admit finding out the right way to do the fur so i could still work with the scene properly and compositing it properly took up a long time the first time around and prevented me from doing a 3rd model until the deadline, but i have been busy ever since :)

fx81
09-12-2006, 12:52 AM
hey nice modeling reel. decent anatomy.
one thing that helps is a simple grey shaded render with some specular of the turntables. that helps people better judge the muscle/skin and the overall anatomy.
you had a AO render of the hydra, but that same thing without AO texture and some specular added helps better demonstrate the modeling.

fiftyfive
09-13-2006, 12:45 AM
Andy! Mr. Austria, glad to see your posting your reel too! Man that wearwolf is sweet, the next time i do hair im going to have to talk to you. Cant wait to see that enviroment all finished up. should be pretty sweet. so you dont plan on staying in austria then? Bored of it allready? hehe. Anyways.

Good luck on the job hunt, may everything go well.

chiquiflita
09-13-2006, 04:31 PM
ooooh mr andy garciaa.......?? looks really nice the hair looks sweet and the detail on the hydra looks very very nice. Good luck on the job hunt and hope to see you son, awsome work keep it up my austrian friend.

NickWhitmire
09-13-2006, 04:41 PM
I loved the reel. One thing I must say about all of these fantastic modeling reels is that i would love to actually see the models animated. Even just slightly. But animated well, cause i 've seen some bad animation on people's modeling reels. But it'd be awesome to see the multi-headed creature snapping at eachother or something. That'd be sweet. But I loved it.....great concept for the last creature.

-n

Loewi
09-13-2006, 06:11 PM
Mashru: Good idea and should be renderable in no time, i'll get to it and see if i can post an update soon, thanks :)

Fiftyfive: Pokerface! I got your mail that you put your's up and was like 'you bastard, you're gonna steal all the views!' I kept the enviroment shaded for now and moved on to a few characters since i want to get more human pieces out there to show i can do it :P
Yeah i'm still in austria the world's hub of CG... NOT! We'll see how long :)

Chiquiflita: Thanks Stabby :) Lighting TD, eh? JEALOUS!!!

Mayazeus: Appreciate it really :) And yeah since i enjoy animation just as much as modeling, i really some day want to animate the hydra, have it bite the camera actually , we shall see! vbmenu_register("postmenu_3849299", t

J.Gaeta
09-13-2006, 09:47 PM
Andy, I love the werewolf! You really have talent with fur, my friend. I think mashru has a point. Add a shot or still of the grey shaded version, with light shaping the muscles and contours. Otherwise great feel and solid models! Good luck and I hope all is well....

Jeff

ratatat
09-14-2006, 01:38 AM
solid reel Andreas. I really liked the hydra creature. All I can imagine is how intimidating it would be to find one of those things in a dark evil place. Really cool concepts. 2 thumbs up fellow vfs'er. best of luck in the job hunt!
ciao. :thumbsup:

shivesh
09-14-2006, 06:12 AM
nice work man , really impressed. keep it up .

Gkaine
09-14-2006, 07:43 AM
nice job andre. gluck with the job search!

PHO 75
09-17-2006, 02:59 AM
yo austria,
about time you posted your stuff buddy. it looks great man, if you can't get a job as a groomer somewhere then there is something wrong with this industry. afterall you were known as the hair guy at school. not taking anything away from your modelin and texturin cause that's all solid too. you worked hard bro and it shows. just one thing i wish you had done which was bust out a killer hard body character. that was your strength and i think you could have really showed that off. but i know you're working on your set now so def add that when you're done.
best of luck with the job search man, i know you'll do fine. don't forget our plan of meeting at siggraph sometime in the future. if not, just come to the states and visit me wherever i end up. take care buddy.

Phan

Loewi
09-17-2006, 01:07 PM
gaeta: shaded version is in the works as we speak, thanks a lot man, how's 61 doing? :)

ratatat: Thanks man, it's really nice to see that both characters are well received not just 1 of them!

gkaine: cheers man, how's the blizz art contest coming, gonna have to check your WIP thread more often!

PHO 75: Hey dude, woking on a character atm which will have a lot of hardbody aspects to it, combined with cloth and (naturally) organics. The set is on hiatus right now, since i'm changing the concept quite a bit maybe, and since i'm not sureyet i don't want to invest too much effort into something i might not use later.
Definetly hoping to find a way to get to next siggraph, miss you guys big time...

Lupin500
09-20-2006, 02:49 PM
Hey Andreas,

AMAZING job!:thumbsup: The werewolf is my favourite creature, the fur is excellent and the model is superb! You really showed a lot of talent, I'm sure you will find a job soon my friend!:deal:

Giorgio

Wongedan
09-23-2006, 10:14 PM
mr Andy, its a good reel!!!
UI like the wolve!!

KOKE
09-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Hey Andy, great to see your stuff posted here.

I think the reel looks great, and I specially like the werewolf.

Nice job man, and best of luck with the job hunt.

JK.

:D

twocik23
09-25-2006, 02:04 AM
Really impressive work, nice job!

gatorji
09-25-2006, 07:07 AM
great job andy! you did an unbeleivable job working on that fur and i know how much render time you spent on that. Good luck in finding a job and hopefully one day we'll meet up again and maybe work together.

SomeKindOfSorcerer
09-26-2006, 02:47 AM
Your models are amazing! I really have no crits. for you considering I didn't see anything i didn't like but I just thought I would let you know that I liked em' :D

JBoskma
09-26-2006, 07:22 AM
Dude, are you still alive? Mail me some time with updates on the jobhunt. Kickass work btw.

Loewi
10-01-2006, 04:07 PM
Sorry for the delay i was out for a bit, getting all giddy over the replies...

Xvampire: Hey man, stuff is looking good :) How's the set coming? Thanks for the comment!

KOKE: My favorite spaniard named Jorge!!! Thanks man, you guys were great feedback for it.

twocik23: Thanks a lot!

gatorj: dont ask about the rendertime, i did figure out ways to make it faster than most thought it would be but still it drove me bananas and you kniow it!!

Somekindofsorcerer: Wow..thanks for that, i always appreciate people inflating my precious ego :)

jboskma: still alive, just crying over your reel you bugger! Once there is an update i'll let you know!

dmc3d
10-02-2006, 03:01 AM
Andy Andy Andy, my friend

I am happy to know news from you. Your work is great and you are very techical guy. Thanks for everything dude, and keep up the good work.

Take care and keep in touch

Daniel

jamesbarnes
10-02-2006, 08:32 AM
This is a wicked reel mate.
Both modells are excellent. I wouldnt worry about animating them either. The only crit I have is the presentation of the warewolf, I just think the hydra looked awesome with the white background and ground plane as apposes to floating rotating with a background. The modells are both equally good i think but the presentation of the hydra i feel is better, mabey a personal thing though.
Good luck job hunting.

jlyapor
10-10-2006, 04:08 PM
awesome work Andreas. That wolf is tight, the hair looks right! definetly a strong model.
that song is cool too, it fits. what is it? PM me. Good luck man!

J.

christopr
10-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Nice fur Andy, I look forward to see your hardbody. Er, I mean your hard body models. Make a set and upload it dude.

Zyandric
10-29-2006, 10:10 PM
Hey Fur Master Andy awesome stuff dude.... It was a blast to have you as a
school-mate. I'm sure you're already working somewhere but if you are'nt keep on producing great work. Good luck

ZaN

Modeling/Texturing Reel
low-res
http://student.vfs.com/~3d56zyandric/Modeling/3d56Zyandric_Demo_Reel.mov (http://student.vfs.com/%7E3d56zyandric/Modeling/3d56Zyandric_Demo_Reel.mov)

SeanJM
01-10-2007, 03:15 PM
This is quite good, I think that you have a bright future. :-)

fanger
01-11-2007, 02:38 AM
Come On Now! you know you good! an' i'm not gonna blow sunshine on your ass to make you feel all warm an' fuzzy...LOL
Nice to see it out(ahhmm..... of the closet:scream: )....BEWARE FOLKS! the Moooooooon has risen an' the wolves are out to feed!

errrr..... on a side note....you do owe me a pack o' cigarettes...remember!:eek:

Gudluck an' all that jazz.....i know you don't need it! your talented an' tenacious! the two most important requisites for "awesomeness", just stop beatin' your self down though.... remember " your awesome....."...now reapeat it.
cheers,
your smitten Vampire:love:

jussing
01-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Super modeling and rendering. Love the backlit fur on the wolf, and the modeling of the hydra.

Hoping to see more monsters from you in the near future!

Cheers,
- Jonas

CGTalk Moderation
01-11-2007, 11:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.