PDA

View Full Version : A simple realtime scene in Doom3 engine.

Zgon
09-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Hi.As a big fan of Silent Hill games I always wanted to do some simple scene which will have a similar atmosphere. The whole scene is rendered with Doom3 engine with diffuse, specular and normal maps. I wanted to keep the polycount as low as possible trying to make many details using only normal maps. I'm going to do a short movie showing the scene in motion.
For better quality and bigger screenshots go here: http://zgon.cgsociety.org/gallery/403299

Cheers.

albynism
09-10-2006, 05:34 PM
The textures are very well done. I'm also a big fan of silent hill and resident evil series. How long did it take you to create that room?

ChimpanG
09-10-2006, 05:48 PM
thats great, fantastic textures!
i never could grasp the doom3 engine :/

could you break down how you textured it? did you use decals to make it less tiled? is it tiled at all- is it unwrapped? etc.

Zgon
09-10-2006, 06:00 PM
1. Actually I was forced to make a unique textures for everything because I wanted to put lightmaps on everything which was a little tricky beacuse doom3 engine doesn't support lightmaps. So there was no need for any additional decals or anything like that.

2. I did that scene after my work hours so it is really hard to tell how much time did it take. There was no rush so I took my time :)

Rambiert
09-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Looks nice. But, there is better solution than Doom Engine, technology that can kick Final Fanthasy The Spires Within - cinematic quality in the real time scenes/games in 130~180 fps on average equippment. Everything is a matter of preprocessing.

Zgon
09-10-2006, 06:31 PM
Actually I'm working with the Doom3 engine so I tried to do such scene in this engine. I'm sure that there are better solutions :)

B.T.
09-10-2006, 07:28 PM
looking great! I'm really curious about your methods, since I'm planning to use lightmaps for the outdoor area as well (D3 total conversion). Did you duplicate the geometry for a lightmap applied ontop of the actual level geometry (since D3 doesn't support proper lightmapping) or did you just bake it into the diffusemap? (hope you understand what I mean, it's kinda hard to explain what I mean)

And how did you do the lighting of the scene in radiant? Bright ambient lights ususally make the normalmaps look quite bad, so did you simply put a normal light source into the room that illuminates everything evenly?

Zgon
09-10-2006, 09:36 PM
At the begining I wanted to use a duplicated geometry but it came out not very useful way because it's really hard to see decals which are very bright (the brighter they are the less visible they are - it works ok for shadows bit not good for places where light is quite bright) due to the way doom3 engine renders them. Vertex colouring also wasn't very convincing and flexible so I decided to bake lightmaps using Mental Ray in Maya and then put them on the texture in Photoshop.
As for the lighting in Radiant that was also kinda tricky - I had to use directional light (normal point light didn't do the job) and then tweak ambients lights so they wouldn't kill normal maps totaly. I know that on the screenshots normal maps are not very visible as I wanted them to be rather subtle bot it looks quite ok when you move around the scene.
The problem with using lightmaps for Doom3 is that every texture has to be unique in order to put baked lightmaps on it. So I'm not sure if using this method for outdoors will be very flexible as it can end with rather large amont of textures :(

B.T.
09-11-2006, 04:57 PM
alright thanks a lot for your reply. I guess I'll have to take a different approach for the outdoor parts of my map - it'd be impossible to do that without tiling textures.
Jim Houx wrote a quite interesting tutorial on lightmapping in D3 a while ago:
http://www.fuzzpopfx.com/tutorials/doom3/ there're some issues with player/AI shadows etc. but I guess I'll have to do it somehow like that.

(btw I'm really looking forward to ET:QW and its modding tools :) )

Zgon
09-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Hey thanks for the intresting link. However it is a half-way solution as the lightmaps should be multiplied 2x in order to get the proper brightness which is not possible in doom3 engine using only decals I think.

CGTalk Moderation
09-11-2006, 09:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.