PDA

View Full Version : hey... does anyone own a MAC

Trickster
01-28-2003, 10:53 PM
ermm.... i'm new here but... enough about me... i'm wondering if there are any MAC users here because i've got an MAC and i need some help, inspiration, and any 3d packages and designer to know about/try. so... if possible could you please help me!! i've only got infini-d, and flash MX.

*Trickster looks in despair and sadness* :(

jscott
01-28-2003, 11:56 PM
If you are new to 3d check out the 3d Toolkit from dvGarage.

http://www.dvgarage.com

You can also check out it's big brother Universe 5 at http://www.electricimage.com.

You mentioned you have Flash. Electric Image Amorphium 3 can render Flash files.

You probably need to get Adobe Photoshop too.

BTW I'm not a Mac user, but to some degree I have an interest in software that runs on Mac and Windows.

later,
-jscott

Trickster
01-29-2003, 12:54 AM
yeah, i very new to this whole animation/CG stuff. thank you babes for your help! can i give you a virtual hug?? you helped me *Trickster bows for thanks to jscott*

i have photoshop but i need a serial number cos i lost mine! so... i'm in deep shit! :(

Chris
01-29-2003, 01:27 AM
i have photoshop but i need a serial number cos i lost mine! so... i'm in deep shit! :( [/B]

LOL - Just try that line with Adobe, I'm sure they will understand... :D I imagine 'loosing a serial number' is a quite common occurence. It certainly seems to be amongst the local students around here, anyway... ;)

DrEvils
01-29-2003, 03:04 AM
don't dispair or be sad, there are 3d programs out there for macs. Try lightwave or maya ( not a maya user but i do have lightwave ) . check out the lightwave forum here at cgtalk and check http://www.lightwave3d.com 's forum. As for design software... everyone's already mentioned adobe's stuff. What is it that your interested in ( print, 3d, ect. ? )

GregHess
01-29-2003, 03:27 AM
I'm a mac user!

Yay flatscreens!

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: <--(4x Faster on Mac's!)

http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/incoming/Photos/Work/lab9.jpg

singularity2006
01-29-2003, 05:04 AM
hahahah, yeah, their animations are hella fast on macs... i was using a mac on campus today and the animations were like totally flying!!!!!

overall, macs are much more stable and efficient for graphics because of their RISC technology.... but *shiverS*... . I just don't like the inflexbility of mac's... but then again, I've never used a mac long enough to really know how to tweak it like i know how to tweak a PC.... :shrug:

Vidar3d
01-29-2003, 07:06 AM
I'm a Mac Maya user and love it, no complaints! You can always practice with the learning addition of maya availible at their website.

Trickster
02-11-2003, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by Dr.Evil
everyone's already mentioned adobe's stuff. What is it that your interested in ( print, 3d, ect. ? )

well... i'm kind of in to most of the stuff like... animation, and trying my hands on 3D modelling and stuff but there are sooo much out there i really don't know what sort that i should try and use. which is a problem! :(

Trickster
02-11-2003, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by Chris
LOL - Just try that line with Adobe, I'm sure they will understand... :D I imagine 'loosing a serial number' is a quite common occurence. It certainly seems to be amongst the local students around here, anyway... ;)

well... i'm kind of scared of asking them... i really doubt that they would believe me! :annoyed:

elvis
02-11-2003, 01:44 AM
Originally posted by GregHess
I'm a mac user!
http://www.3dluvr.com/crossbow/incoming/Photos/Work/lab9.jpg

*chuckles at a mac with a microsoft mouse*. :)

Chris
02-11-2003, 01:44 AM
Don't worry about it, if you bought the software there must be some way of proving it to them... Ring your dealer (as in, software dealer :D ) & see if they have a record of you... I'd get onto it though, its a fair whack of money just to not bother about. :)

Bradf0rd010
02-11-2003, 02:08 AM
Do you have the box and manuals (and therefore a printed CD)?
I'd say that would serve as pretty solid proof.

Trickster
02-11-2003, 03:35 AM
i'm not sure my brother gave me a copy and that's it!

Bradf0rd010
02-11-2003, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Trickster
i'm not sure my brother gave me a copy and that's it!

aahhh. I see...... :curious:

danylyon
02-11-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Chris
Don't worry about it, if you bought the software there must be some way of proving it to them... Ring your dealer (as in, software dealer :D ) & see if they have a record of you... I'd get onto it though, its a fair whack of money just to not bother about. :)

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Some time ago we brought a Win2K (OEM) and when it got here our secretary threw the wrapping away (with the serial # on).. There was absolutly nothing we could do about. I don't think dealers have you serial # noted down (it would be risky too) and giving a new one.. forget it!

just a sidenote.

Grgeon
02-11-2003, 04:01 PM
I'm both a Mac and PC user.

For 3d apps on Mac, I've used

Animation Master www.hash.com

and

Electricimage www.electricimage.com

And now I use Maya. I would recommend that you start on one of the higher end packages if you're serious about this industry. Talent and skill will get you there, but if you''re gonna use a 3d app, might as well use one the industry uses alot.
For that, I recommend Maya. www.aliaswavefront.com

Hope this helps,
George

betelgeuse
02-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Get the best subd modeler around - it's free!! For Mac, Win, and Linux.

Wings3d (www.wings3d.com)

Rabid pitbull
02-13-2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by betelgeuse
Get the best subd modeler around - it's free!! For Mac, Win, and Linux.

Wings3d (www.wings3d.com)

i was under the impression wings was only a poly modeler... did they really add subdivided surfaces?

skigil
02-14-2003, 04:56 AM
I had the chance to run Lightwave, and Maya on my 800mHz 15" Powerbook G4. It's freakin awesome. Lightwave on the Mac is the same as it is on the PC, but I know that Maya has some more features on the Mac. For instance, it can output directly as a quicktime movie. Plus there are some smaller differences. Anyhoo, 3D on the Mac is awesome, and is getting only better.

-skigil

cuse
02-14-2003, 10:55 AM
hey fellow mac users :)

ahh finally feel at home, RE the adobe problem. if you really did buy it, or your brother did or whatever, just contact their tech support, theyre the best to give advice on this kinda thing.

Im running lightwave 7.5 at the mo, i guess its all how deeo you expect to get into it and if your planning on paying for online courses or something simular.\

hey greghess, nice setup, i gotta get a snap of my 23's, just love these apple flatscreens.

cuse

GregHess
02-14-2003, 12:20 PM
I've just about finished the Dual G4 (Gigahertz, 166 FSB, DDR) Lightwave benchmarks. I'll share them later today. I had to rerun them cause I forgot to do the 8 threads for the dual.

(Newtek recommends 8 threads if your running a dual, instead of 2...go figure).

It actually turned out to be faster with 8, so I reran all the tests. Pretty impressive actually, around 40% the speed of the xeon. (1.8 ghz difference)

cuse
02-14-2003, 12:26 PM
yea all i heard from them was if you have a dual run 2 threads, but it may be more beneficial to run 8?

cuse

GregHess
02-14-2003, 12:45 PM
Aye,

Try the same scene with 2 and 8 threads. Depending on whats being renderer, 8 seems to actually be faster. At least on the mac. I shaved about 10-15% off some scene times going from 2-8 threads. (Using default benchmark scenes).

Looks like it might slow down HDRI/heavy radiosity scenes though.

cuse
02-14-2003, 12:54 PM
but for heavy radiosity scenes isnt it recommended switching back to single thread anyway for dual macs?

cuse

GregHess
02-14-2003, 12:57 PM
I don't know cuse. I'm new at this, I just have Lw for testing, I'm not a lightwave user.

I would assume single thread would be slower...wouldn't that just keep the second cpu idle?

cuse
02-14-2003, 01:02 PM
oh sorry i just got mixed up for a sec, its drop back to 2threads unless your on OS9. anyway, not sure if you apple people got this thread but i posted the other day...

redlightrunner (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=402728#post402728)

cuse

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.