PDA

View Full Version : LAZ0RS FROM SPACE!!one1

ivanisavich
09-10-2006, 11:12 AM
Hey everyone,

Sorry for the lousy thread title....couldn't think of anything better for this little ditty.

The idea was to create some sort of animation involving dirt/earth.....so of course I went with explosions :D...and I also wanted to take a break from the usual acting/character animation, although I did make some tiny cg birds for this.

Anywho....Enjoy!

********UPDATE.......below link from my site now works

********UPDATE 2....I updated the link (the one from my site, not the mirro) with a tweaked version of the animation based on the comments recieved from people in this thread :) Hope you like it better! (you can still see the old version from the mirror)

http://www.tysonibele.com/Main/Animations/Earth/earth_anim2.mov (http://www.tysonibele.com/Main/Animations/Earth/earth_anim1.mov) (4.5mb)

MIRROR: http://www.cggallery.com/temp/earth_anim1.mov (http://www.cggallery.com/temp/earth_anim1.mov)

http://www.tysonibele.com/Main/Animations/Earth/earth_anim.jpg

*edit.....guess I should mention some specs:

-everything scanline rendered (pretty obvious)
-bit of afterburn in there
-make time was about a day and a half

marciowski
09-10-2006, 04:53 PM
Wow...
pretty cool.
The sound is very nice too. Where did you get it?

Congratulations once again.

SheepFactory
09-10-2006, 06:03 PM
Wow man! I love the explosion part! How did you go about making the earth all cracked? Is that a animated displacement map?

*plugged.

PS: man spend the $20 already and get a better damn webhost. :)

Nelis
09-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Thats incredible......i like it very much. The power it gives is so nice and strong.

Would love to see some buildup on how you made it....

great work ...

greets,

Nelis

RockinAkin
09-10-2006, 06:20 PM
Trying to DL it now... still have a while to go, but if I can get it all, i'll throw up a mirror for it.

:thumbsup:

Edit: Great work, simple, cool vfx shot.

PhilOsirus
09-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Downloading it now, but one thing I can tell is that there seems to be a proportion issue with the house, it should be bigger or the car smaller. Just a little nitpick:)

eodmpink
09-10-2006, 06:36 PM
those poor birds...

Wayner
09-10-2006, 06:37 PM
looks good the only thing to me is that the broken ground is only towards the camera, its not in a circular fashion as one would think it should be. Great Work! :thumbsup:

Simon
09-10-2006, 06:48 PM
Nice work man.

for a split second the edges of the lazer look weird above the house just before the beam ends. Maybe thats just me...

Great work though. The effect on the ground is great.

Pyke
09-10-2006, 06:51 PM
I hate you. :(

Your work NEVER fails to impress! Amazing as always!

EDIT:

Downloading it now, but one thing I can tell is that there seems to be a proportion issue with the house, it should be bigger or the car smaller. Just a little nitpick:)

On Tysons website, he mentions that the still elements (shanty, car etc), are photographic.
It does look strange (smaller), but its no fault of his.

Katachi
09-10-2006, 07:15 PM
Overall fantastic work. It looks very cool. But that poor little bird. :D Anyway, what made me wonder from the very first time I´ve seen it is the zero-motion ground after the blast. After such a blast lots of stones (when I see these cracks) should still be rolling here and there.

Otherwise very good work. :)

Jelmer
09-10-2006, 07:17 PM
impressive! could you explain a bit more in depth on how it was done and post some wires maybe??

mttjss
09-10-2006, 07:26 PM
sick of it Tyson. sick of it.

Matt -

PeterSanitra
09-10-2006, 07:27 PM
Generaly looks cool. But at the end the is one chunk of wood which will stop in the air and levitate, just over the house bit to the right :banghead:

warpy
09-10-2006, 07:40 PM
heh funny stuff, 5 stars.

Kurosaki Ichigo
09-10-2006, 07:44 PM
This is awesome! Though, wouldn't the birds woould have flew away before the impact? Since most animals have that "sense".

edit : also, that beam was extrem, but shouldn't the beam cause the whole houst to come flame and leave a crater in the ground? Especially since the earths spot where it hit is natural crust.

mackdadd
09-10-2006, 07:45 PM
wow, plugged, like, super quick.

deseverdly so.

:thumbsup::bounce::applause:

note to Autodesk employees - please contact Tyson about writing a book, pronto!

hakanpersson
09-10-2006, 07:46 PM
Nice to see some good ol fashion destruction for a change:D!
This one looks great, the ground doesnt seem to crack especially realistic to me, but whata heck, it looks cool:)

pinkachu
09-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Excelent
Five (5) stars!

JDex
09-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Only 2 crits

The dust the last second or two seems to be static, I would think that the dust would have some motion to it as it begins to settle. The cloud backdrop is also static... if both of these elements had just the right amount of motion, it would totally sell the shot for me.

Otherwise. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ranimate
09-10-2006, 07:56 PM
Well Tyson,
The usual hands clap :applause: , Thumbs up :thumbsup: and of course - :drool: .

You rock! I love the birds :)

Ranimate

maxspider3000
09-10-2006, 08:06 PM
is ther any thing to say ??? :eek:

ya , there is ... awesome and fantastic work ... this is a greet idea Tyson , so original -at least for me- :D

congrats for the front page man :thumbsup:

- Yusuf

tobeythorn
09-10-2006, 08:18 PM
Very cool, but there are some things that make it unrealist. The ground appears to only scorch to the sides and toward the camera, but not behind the house/car. Also, you can see a very sharp edge that just doesn't look right from the laser beam from the sky where it penetrates the dust cloud. Also, the earth is torn appart and instantly burned, but somehow there isn't really any smoke and the remains of the house(it is questionable that there are any) are not burning either.

skello
09-10-2006, 08:47 PM
birds are a bit too large. and the ground behind the building does not seem to be affected in any way.... else cool stuff:thumbsup:

Cadinho
09-10-2006, 08:54 PM
Tyson, tyson, tyson... you are a bastard!!! I saw the plugged thumbnail and thought "Hum... that looks nice" and I ALMOST got surprised when I saw your name in it. :rolleyes:

I love EVERYTING but I have to agree with some guys observations...

The desctruction of the floor towards the camera only, freezed dust at the end and the look of the floor annoys me a little. But hey, 1 day and half?! Get outta here... I am sure if you worked like 3 more hours in it, it would be perfect!

This time, 4 stars from me!!! :thumbsup:

ivanisavich
09-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Oh wow! Here I come back expecting a couple comments and I see that I'm on the frontpage! Thanks guys! Glad you liked it!

I don't have time at the moment to go through and personally address each person...but I did read all of the comments and therefore have a few remarks...

Also...I *will* try to find the time to go back and fix up the issues that some of you mentioned. They won't go unnoticed!

-THANK you for the mirror! I seriously do need to get a new host. The fact that it's down 1 day after I post something is far from good

-I agree about the beam being too sharp at the one spot...finished this up LATE last night so I must have missed that

-The "house" is actually a small shack (look closely)...so the car is to scale :)....should have made that more clear though, because I can understand why it looks weird if you didn't see that it wasn't a regular 2 story house

-Darkone...thanks for the headsup mate! I tried to mask out all of the problem chunks...but I guess I missed that one!

-I agree that the smoke at the end is probably too static....I'll definitely go back and fix that....

Hopefully I'll have a tweaked version by tonight-ish. Thanks for the critiques everyone! Those are exactly the kinds of things I like to hear!!

Capn_Camo
09-10-2006, 10:47 PM
Nice one man!

Your work is always packed with neat little subtleties (like the birds and non-static camera in this case) that just give it that extra kick from awesome into freaking wicked!

Top notch :buttrock:

Sherif.Nagib
09-10-2006, 11:10 PM
never fail to impress me man ! :thumbsup:
now here's my blather if you want some :wise: , I don't know if it's supposed to be shot from behind a really solid glass or what, but I would've added some dirt to the screen afterwards..maybe lots of dirt at the corners of the viewfinder if it's just the camera with no protective glass (I don't think that's possible tho ) . also the camera shake and extirpation noise might need to last a bit a longer , so you'd feel that the aftermath went past the camera and didn't stop right after it.

that's my 0.02$ , gr8 job tho :buttrock:

erilaz
09-10-2006, 11:43 PM
The fact that it's down 1 day after I post something is far from good

I would say that's indicative of a good thing. It means it's getting downloaded heaps! :)

Downloading now... can't wait! Everything you do brings a big grin to my face!

grafi
09-10-2006, 11:49 PM
Hey Tyson, long time no see, Another great one, I'm never disapointed by your work. :thumbsup:

General Midi
09-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Fantastic!

Looks like the GDI's Ion Cannon to me...:D

What is this for?

(and who made the audio?!)

kevinw
09-11-2006, 12:05 AM
B.A. as usual...would have been cool to see a majority of the car get thrown to the left and roll out of frame. but either way... nice:thumbsup:
-kEViN

IllustriousWarriors
09-11-2006, 02:02 AM
Str8 up awesome.

Jadetiger
09-11-2006, 03:11 AM
Nothing makes me grin like a death ray in outer space does. That was an awesome explosion. Great job!

jigu
09-11-2006, 03:15 AM
congrates tysone!!!

i agree that dirt/smoke shouldn't be that static.
ur composition and sounds work is always gr8!!:thumbsup:

anyway it's reminded me my UFO crash video!!
and also a independence day film!!

gr8 job!!

-Jigu.

ExKArt
09-11-2006, 03:16 AM
That's some way to get insurance

killamill
09-11-2006, 03:28 AM
congratulations man...! i think is very impressive what you´ve done with that little house

your work on your site it´s amazing 2! you´re very talented, keep it up!

saludos!

gaiXyn
09-11-2006, 03:43 AM
those poor birds...

my thoughts exactly!!....lol

.....if I gotta watch a clip more than 4 - 5Xs in a row...that's when you know it's good work!!...5tars man !!

tide78
09-11-2006, 04:50 AM
wow man, not bad for how fast you did it! I thnk that's the quickest front page i've ever seen. Good job and congrats.

-Z

Stefan-Morrell
09-11-2006, 05:05 AM
there's nothing quite like the joy of blowing stuff up!

nice work:thumbsup:

Millionder
09-11-2006, 05:07 AM
Very nice camera work you've done there man, nicely look in Graph Editor as I can see.I'll remember this idea. I like simple and clear concept of just "hit and cracks".
(I'd add a few frames of glow through at the beginning of explosion)

ivanisavich
09-11-2006, 06:19 AM
Hey everyone,

I tweaked the animation based on many of your comments. You can grab it here:

http://www.tysonibele.com/Main/Animations/Earth/earth_anim2.mov (4.5mb)

exigolight
09-11-2006, 08:17 AM
hey, cool man. Simple and sween !! keep it up.

SergeAstahov
09-11-2006, 08:26 AM
Great work mate, :thumbsup: . Birds are cool. Looks like they were trying to escape from coming tradegy, well the one on the right possibly even made it hahaha.

Surrealix
09-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Amazing work, as usual.

The fact that the car alarm started to go off made me laugh.

Katachi
09-11-2006, 08:43 AM
Hmm, I would still crit the zero motion on the floor in the new one.

riri284
09-11-2006, 08:47 AM
i think CG talk has an auto front page plug as soon as tyson posts, everybody said it all, nice work as usual...

paultheplumber
09-11-2006, 08:51 AM
Very nice. I love how the birds draw your eye in right before the explosion. Nice touch!

IestynRoberts
09-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Nice one Tyson, well deserved front page! Good job

egselent
09-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Fantastic!!!

aoisabaku
09-11-2006, 02:54 PM
Lol awesome!
I love your timing and camera work. Everything felt simple and clean, which makes it so beautiful. :)

AspiriN
09-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Great job man... :thumbsup:

3dcga
09-11-2006, 03:32 PM
What the hell is wrong wit you, man?!? You just can't stop can ya? :p

Love the fx. Well done! :D

yuta_vfx
09-11-2006, 03:44 PM
wow, nice work man. I really like it. The rock's cracking after explosion is kind of wierd if you follow reality but I think this is one style and this made your short cooler. I don't think you have to chenge it.

The only thing I felt wierd was your broken pices are disapperling...I wanted see some bouncing on the ground or rolloing. If you don't wanna show thoes, then I think the timing of fade is bit late. I think thta's why I feel loosing something.

but yeah over all, really nice work man !! Makes me wanna work on some explosion man !!

Djampa
09-11-2006, 03:44 PM
You always blow up things nicely ! *lol* :D

Very cool !

Congratulations !

jigu
09-11-2006, 03:50 PM
now that looks coool...:thumbsup:

JDex
09-11-2006, 05:50 PM
Great update. Still static clouds, but otherwise... :D

Amazing work. Was this done with multi-pass renders? Any chance of a making of?

ivanisavich
09-11-2006, 06:14 PM
Hmm....clouds are still too static eh

*adds wind spacewarp with multiplier of 200*

WHAT DO YOU THINK NOW PUNK????

hahah......kidding just kidding.....hmm.....maybe I'll bump up their movement a bit more ?

As for multipass rendering......oh yes. I think there's about 20-25 layers in my comp, and about 15 of those are actual rendered passes (the others are solids, adjustment layers etc).

I was thinking of doing a making of......but we'll see ;).....my comp is kind of messy :P

pearson
09-11-2006, 06:52 PM
Very nice! I wouldn't worry about the clouds, as they are very high up and far from the viewer they shouldn't move much in just a few seconds. My only crit is that the beam's core occludes the flying debris and dust, which looked like compression artifacting at first. Perhaps you could fade out the bottom of the beam a bit to minimize the hard edges.

I really like the broken ground after the explosion. How did you make it?

truedreamzz
09-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Awesome stuff!!

grafi
09-11-2006, 08:17 PM
Update looks good, It reminds me a lot of the Ion Cannons in Command & Conquer: Renegade. GJ tyson! :D

azshall
09-11-2006, 08:19 PM
Haven't read every post.. So my comments may have been said..

Effect is well done, but the pieces that pop off or just fade out feel wierd, would assume that those chunks would impact the ground..

The matte line at the end of your crusted earth (not in front of the camera.. out past the house) is very hard and doesn't look married to the ground as well ... Would think there would be a bit of DOF play or something in there to help blend the original ground with the cracked earth?

What about having some bits of the car fly toward the camera of sorts? A tire, seat, bumper or something? ...

Anyhow, sound is nice.. overall nice work :) ...

Seth

ivanisavich
09-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Continued thanks for all of your comments folks!

***edit: ....it's pretty late and I know I said I'd post an update.....but the changes I made (which I thought would make a noticeable difference) in the end are hardly noticeable so I'm just going to leave the anim where it is (because there are a bunch of passes I don't feel like rendering out again) ;)

ParamountCell
09-11-2006, 08:59 PM
EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT!!, man what can I say, great work man, I would have liked to see the clouds moving to or away from the point the beam hits the atmosphere, although that isnt needed , because this clip is beautiful! oh yea and its EXCELLENT!!

markorapaic
09-12-2006, 01:05 AM
Very nice short, the laser impact has a good feel to it, and its good to see the laser wasn't red or green or one of those commonly used colours! You realise of course i'm expecting a sequel to this titled "pew pew pew!!11one!leleven!".

Keep it up! ;)

PhuongDPh
09-12-2006, 02:10 AM
very nice fx and sound
maybe there would be fire if there was fuel in the car http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon10.gif

monkey-sage
09-12-2006, 04:26 AM
This made me laugh. Thanks for posting it. My husband didn't "get it". What is there not to get?! lazers... crispy.

Mio
09-12-2006, 07:01 AM
:thumbsup: i love this one.....!

flashgordy
09-12-2006, 07:56 AM
amazing...
I feel myself so small

woadiestyol
09-12-2006, 01:52 PM
Nice work man, this made me laugh. I like timing of the birds evacuating right before the explosion. The tweaked version looks great IMO.

psyop63b
09-12-2006, 02:50 PM
Scanline??? Wow! Excellent work! My only crit is that there seems to be some strange layering in those few frames where the laser and the debris don't seem to mesh well. The timing of the camera shake may benefit from a 1-2 frame delay. I know the camera is very close to the action, but it seems to shake the instant the beam touches the ground (a few hundred feet away).

monovich
09-12-2006, 04:41 PM
cool! Love the touch of the birds fleeing at the last moment. They are so doomed!

I have no idea how you made this, so I won't try to ask any intelligent questions.

michael-olszak
09-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Awesome dude. any chance of seeing a tutorial on how you did that?

Winner
09-12-2006, 05:59 PM
this is great work Tyson ! ... but i cant help feeling a particular way about what I`m seeing here...

Just from your previous posts, its clear you're obviously one of the lucky few amongst us creative types who can truly dedicate yourself to a task and produce something that is actually pretty good in a short space of time ( like were talking 1 day, or 2 to 3 days ... ) .. this is especially unique if youre doing this in your own time at home after work...In my opinion this kind of work is great - it really lends itself to that creative spontaneity that you might see in a quick sketch or painting - the kind of process that gets lost in 3D just because of the pure `mechanics` of the medium... you're very good at this.

but .. having said that - i would really love to see you take your time over something. If you can create nice quality work in a short period, I would love to see what you can do if you take a bit of extra time to craft and nurture something special.
For example - your lipsync animation ( the shining one - i forget what you called it ) ... i thought it really had potential to be very good - but it felt a little rushed - a little unplanned and unfocused.. which ultimatley distracted from the story and the impact of the final piece. I feel the same about the other shot you did with the old man in the tomb .. it felt `rushed`. Dont get me wrong Tyson - these are good pieces of work, but I cant help feeling how much better they would be with a little more `love`...

Maybe the `quick` stuff is what you enjoy.. you like the pressure and thats what makes you work well, or you just dont like spending too long on something because the passion gets diluted... every artist has their flow and thats a personal thing on many levels. But come on man ... i would love to see what you can REALLY do !! ( because its obvious you can do it )

ivanisavich
09-12-2006, 06:07 PM
Hey winner,

Thanks for your comments :)....the reason most of my stuff gets done in under 3 days is because...well...the weekend is only 3 days! (including Friday night)......and because I'm usually busy all week and I don't like having long WIP projects that last over several weekends (because it's easy to lose focus when you have 5 day breaks in between each work session)....I try to get these smaller projects done in 1 weekend only.

That also gives me a strict deadline. You're right that certainly any project by anyone can be improved with "more time"....but so many artists get caught up in fleeting perfection that they never get anything done.

And don't get me wrong. I NEVER post anything if I see any major areas that need work still. I guess the reason you feel that the stuff I post isn't up to par is because you're seeing things that I've overlooked! That is why I appreciate the critiques of this forum (and others) so much.

Anywho.....ironically, even after all that's been said....I'm currently in the process of producing a short animated film which will hopefully be done around Christmas time.....so I've definitely got things on the backburner whose creation schedule will be a little more long term :)

living_for_cg
09-12-2006, 06:12 PM
superb work... .Thats so detailed.:bounce:

Winner
09-12-2006, 06:16 PM
hey, I cant wait to see the film ! .. thats exactly the kind of thing i think it would be great to see from someone with your passion.

Winner
09-12-2006, 06:30 PM
Tyson i just noticed your reply edit...

mate, i dont think at all that the stuff you post isnt `up to par`... not all all buddy.... Its well amongst the stronger stuff that gets posted on this forum. Its work like yours that makes me bother to even visit this site in the first place. I just wanna see something where it REALLY blows me away ( im just saying all this because i can see so clearly are able to create such work ) ... i cant wait for your short man...

ivanisavich
09-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Hehe ok bro I guess I misunderstood your post ;) Thanks for the encouragement!

TraceR
09-12-2006, 07:06 PM
Very nice.

I love the subtle affect with the birds. They fly away from the house at the last second, making it seem quite real. :thumbsup:

peekoot
09-12-2006, 07:37 PM
very effective! and amazingly well done especially when time involved is considered!

all your mini projects amaze me! i still remember the little sparrow you did around year and a half ago (must have watched it 20 times)!

also looking fwd to seeing your short!

MindTraveler
09-12-2006, 11:23 PM
I am at work and I dont have sound on my comp right now ... but I think I have a peice of rock stuck in my eye and it hurts. What an explosion! WHOooo! good job man.

-Mind Traveler

nethus
09-12-2006, 11:26 PM
Really impressive work :) I think the update is definately an improvement.

There are still a few things, one of which I noticed is that the last few bits of debris at the end fall down and disapear just below the horizon line. But really, it was only noticed after maybe my 10th viewing... I probably watched it about 20 times over :P

Love it, keep it up.

blastzone
09-13-2006, 12:02 AM
now timmy... this is why we dont put forks in the microwave

MohannadGO
09-13-2006, 11:46 AM
I liked the mood, camera, details and the whole ditrecting of the shot very much.

May be I was expecting some soft, wide range, slowly comming, light shadow on the scene befofe the birds fly away, but it still Terrific ****

Rivendale
09-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Haha, that was sweet. It would be cool if one of the birds got blasted towards the camera and layed twisted in the foreground afterwards, twitching a bit heh.:D Maybe the birds were not that detailed though...

Good work!
CML

kattkieru
09-13-2006, 03:36 PM
Hehe, I don't know why, but I found it hilariously funny.

Mostly it looks like something that'd belong on a TV show or in a movie -- the quality is great -- but the fact that the clouds don't move away from the beam bothered me. I don't know if such movement is physically probable, but the sky before and after is exactly the same and I noticed it right off the bat.

Excellent effect, though!

LOTK
09-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Nice concept, I liked the blast. As a first impact it looks good for a short animation, as if it were in a movie.

The only crit I have to make, I mean the one that hits most in the eye is that the formation of the cracked ground (cracks look really cool) comes only towards the camera and it would look better if it was in a circular formation around the impact point. I can see that the part behind is more sandy so maybe cracks wouldn't apply, but it needs something to show the impact affected that part as well.

Of course, it is up to you to make it look the way you want;)
Keep up the good work

LOTK

t1z10
09-13-2006, 06:31 PM
Great techniques man.
Excellent work ;)

Global
09-14-2006, 03:00 AM
but .. having said that - i would really love to see you take your time over something. If you can create nice quality work in a short period, I would love to see what you can do if you take a bit of extra time to craft and nurture something special.

I've kinda been saying this for a while, glad I'm not the only one that thinks like this! T, you are an inspiration to us all and regularly come up with mindblowing work, so don't take this sort of crit as a negative thing or a knock to your achievements. But I gotta say I'm glad to hear you are really spending your time on something! (:arteest:= :drool: + :deal: )

...yeah... the guy needs some more time to hone the skills... poor chap was kicked off of his own forum for not being good enough... :rolleyes:

garphik
09-14-2006, 04:42 AM
too good !
watched it atleast a 20 times. Every time I see some new details... cool work
deserves 5 stars
:thumbsup:

sachin3d
09-14-2006, 07:56 AM
awesome work man. saw your other work on your site and liked it very much. keep it up man.

LittleDragonsTao
09-14-2006, 04:57 PM
Please post more on how you did it and what you used! Thanks!

Morganhahaha
09-15-2006, 11:24 AM
Reminds me of C&C, good work!

Only suggestion, there should be one hell of a dust cloud if that much dry dirt was moved

akin
09-15-2006, 01:13 PM
you are always damn strange fella, keep goin with awesome stuffs

veljko-lemonade
09-16-2006, 09:45 AM
Hi, great work! and in souch a small window of time !
excellent!
but could you PLEASE tell me how did you make the ground?
its really buging me cos i cant figure it out
thx!:)

Kristofferic
09-17-2006, 05:23 AM
that was very exciting, the sound was great too!

CGTalk Moderation
09-17-2006, 05:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.