PDA

View Full Version : XSI on Vista?

Sbowling
09-10-2006, 10:14 AM
Hey everyone,

Just downloaded and installed Vista RC1 and it's actually fast enough to use (unlike beta2), unfortunately XSI has some interface issues with Vista, such as the render region is a bit spotty (sometimes it will stop showing the render, but acts as if it's finishing the render) and it also has some issues with yes/no prompts where you can't actually click on the yes or no, but you can use the y and n keys insteand.

I guess what I'm asking is:

1) has anyone else has tried XSI on vista and seen the same problems.

and

2) Does anyone know if softimage has been looking into running XSI on Vista.

I know this is early to be asking something like this since vista isn't finished and softimage hasn't announced their next version yet, but I'm planning on being an early adopter of Vista, because I love some of the new features in it and want to make sure XSI will work correctly with it. I thought about sending a bug report, but I'm not sure I should since vista is still under development. Maybe I should send a bug report to microsoft?

Asgorath
09-10-2006, 02:38 PM
I've also seen those issues with Vista. And I do know that Softimage is aware of it; which I believe means they are going to do something about it.

calmasacow
09-10-2006, 03:31 PM
by the time Vista comes out XSI will be at version 6 and I'm sure will be Vista Compatible

Bullit
09-10-2006, 10:05 PM
Seems graphic card drive issues. What kind of card do you have?

Sbowling
09-11-2006, 01:01 AM
Seems graphic card drive issues. What kind of card do you have?

I'm using an Nvidia 6800 GT and the default Microsoft drivers. I'll try downloading the vista drivers from nvidia and see if that makes a difference. I also just noticed that I can't delete anything using either the delete key or the right mouse menu :eek: , so I doubt it's all graphics card related. On a very positive note, there doesn't seem to be any noticeable OpenGl speed issues with the Aero interface, so everyone who was freaking out before can relax a bit. :)

EDIT: After setting program compatability to winXP SP2 I don't seem to have most of the problems I was having. The only thing that still remains is having to use keyboard shortcuts to answer the yes/no prompts. Also I notices that XSI seems to load MUCH faster than on windows XP, but this may be related to not having any 3rd party plugins installed under Vista.

So far, I've been very impressed with Vista and I'm glad Microsoft took their time on this one. The user friendliness is really improved without dumbing things down like some other "user friendly" operating systems I've used. And the new look is great, but doesn't get in the way like that other "user friendly" operating system. The new search features the sidebar gadgets are really useful and the updated media player is so nice that I doubt I'll be using winap in Vista. Despite it being popular to bash Microsoft, I think they have a winner on their hands with this one.:thumbsup:

dnuttall
09-11-2006, 01:10 PM
Does SPM and the USB dongle drivers work OK on RC1? I tried installing XSI on Beta 2 and couldn't even get it to load.

Bullit
09-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback Sam

I also just noticed that I can't delete anything using either the delete key or the right mouse menu

I agree , that points to keyboard and mouse drivers.

Did you tried with Nvidia drivers, doesnt seems clear from your post ? Maybe it would be wise to check if they are really diferent by date before wasting time.

Sbowling
09-12-2006, 12:47 AM
Does SPM and the USB dongle drivers work OK on RC1? I tried installing XSI on Beta 2 and couldn't even get it to load.

I loaded foundation, so I'm not sure about the SPM drivers. If I remember I try installing the essentials under vista over the weekend.

Sbowling
09-12-2006, 12:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback Sam

I agree , that points to keyboard and mouse drivers.

Did you tried with Nvidia drivers, doesnt seems clear from your post ? Maybe it would be wise to check if they are really diferent by date before wasting time.

I tried the nvidia drivers after my initial post and they didn't seem to make much difference, but setting program compatability to XPsp2 fixed the delete problem, but not the Yes/No problem. I wouldn't think this is a keyboard driver issue, because I'm using the default keyboard driver under vista and thats all I ever use under XP. I was assuming that this may be something related to the non-standard interface in XSI. I guess it could be a bug in the keyboard drivers too, but nothing else seems to have this kind of issue.

calmasacow
09-17-2006, 03:46 AM
Hmm what about the 3D interactivity? Becasue in Vist OpenGL is handled in a rapper type of situation where openGL is actually be done thru Direct 3D. At least that is the way that the Microsoft guy at a presentation I went to explained it to me.

Sbowling
09-17-2006, 10:34 PM
Hmm what about the 3D interactivity? Becasue in Vist OpenGL is handled in a rapper type of situation where openGL is actually be done thru Direct 3D. At least that is the way that the Microsoft guy at a presentation I went to explained it to me.

Already snswered above:

" On a very positive note, there doesn't seem to be any noticeable OpenGl speed issues with the Aero interface, so everyone who was freaking out before can relax a bit. :) "

CGTalk Moderation
09-17-2006, 10:34 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.