PDA

View Full Version : Low Poly to High

Michael5188
09-10-2006, 05:09 AM
Hey, I did a search, and found a post concerning this, but the posters were talking about Maya. I was wondering, in 3dsmax, I have the character's low poly model, that I meshsmooth for the final product. I was wondering, can I keep the model low poly and rig it that way, and then meshsmooth it and put the iterations up in the rendering and have the rig still effectivly work on the high poly model? Or will adding all of the new faces mess up the skinning and cause problems?

Simply put, can I rig a character low poly and then meshsmooth it, or do I need to meshsmooth, then rig.

-This is my first rigging experience, hence the probably dumb question.

eek
09-10-2006, 07:30 AM
Rig and skin a high poly version, thats either derived as a meshsmooth or a complete new mesh. Then generate a low poly mesh, chop it up and parent the parts to the respective bones. Now you can set the low poly not to render and the high to render. And on top have a bottom in a CA to turn on/off the respective high/low poly stuff in the viewport.

phoelix
09-10-2006, 02:34 PM
the meshsmooth (i prefer turbosmooth in max 7+) is the last modifier that you put in the stack, is the most optimized and the safest way.

so the answer is yes...you can rig the low and then smooth it, deactivating the smooth in the viewport for using only in render.

Michael5188
09-10-2006, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the replies. Two different methods though, which would be the best choice.

With the first method, once I've rigged and skinned the high poly, how do I generate a low poly? Am I simply using geometric shapes just so I can see the movement of the limbs while I animate, or am I actually using a chopped up low poly version of the model? Also, if I do it that way, how does that work with the facial animation?

CGTalk Moderation
09-10-2006, 07:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.