PDA

View Full Version : Reverend Maynard

elGeneral
09-10-2006, 12:11 AM
http://dungvalley.com/sab/demo_large.mov

Let me know what you all think...im sick of lookin at it.
The audio is from a Tool song.

ivanisavich
09-10-2006, 01:19 AM
What the heck! Freaking first post and you think you can just come in here like you own the place?

...Well you DO own the place! That was some quality work!!! Lip sync was spot on, acting was brilliant......the only thing off that I noticed was some weird deformations in his cheek area (especially in the last shot, which I'm sure you're aware of).

GREAT work!

NickWhitmire
09-10-2006, 04:31 AM
That was awesome. Really amazing. Almost forgot it was animated. REally nice life acting there. keep it up and keep postin please.....

-n

elGeneral
09-10-2006, 07:41 AM
thanks for the kind words :)
Yes the deformations arent that great... I just wanted to animate though. As you can most likely tell its an altered Generick (http://shrtcww.com/journal/136/generick) rig.

ozy_g
09-10-2006, 09:19 AM
Awesome! I Love Tool! Saw Them Twice This Summer!

SheepFactory
09-10-2006, 06:00 PM
Awesome anim mate , the acting was spot on , I especially love the part when he says "they have a life".

If you post a still from the animation I will plug it on the front page.

KielFiggins
09-10-2006, 09:34 PM
Very nice man, diggin the camera cuts. Keep it up, looking forward to seeing more work from you.

RockinAkin
09-10-2006, 09:43 PM
Freaking awesome - some of the best lip sync / acting I've seen in a while!
Great source audio too! :buttrock:

BRUTICUS
09-10-2006, 09:47 PM
I always wanted to animate to this track (Disgustipated) when I was in college.

Not that I would go back and change this but a couple things I would like to see in this is the part where he says "These are the cries of the carrots" I would like to see followed by a small smirk and raising of the eyebrow as if he is enlightening you on a certin point. Also at the very end within the last second i'd like to see the character begin to take a deep breath to recover from his exuberating speach.

But all around looks great. I watched it over and over and really enjoyed it.

elGeneral
09-10-2006, 10:07 PM
The image (http://dungvalley.com/sab/render.jpg) for SheepFactory. Thanks for the linkage.;)

Bruticus. thanks for the suggestions.. I did have trouble trying to cram those sweet spots into the lipsync.. I found that the timing was always so tight in the track that he hardly ever has time to think or react to his sermon. I decided it would look to forced....?

ratatat
09-11-2006, 02:31 AM
sweet animation... i really enjoyed the close up shots and the conviction shown with the poses. 2 thumbs up :thumbsup:

CGmonkey
09-11-2006, 02:34 AM
... Man that was amazing! I have no words.. Top notch!

rblitz7
09-11-2006, 02:39 AM
wow! fantastic work man! that animation was so life like! Are you a working proffesional or what?

fiftyfive
09-11-2006, 02:46 AM
It was very fun to see that little track by tool animated to. Well done. A pleasure to watch

TogaMario
09-11-2006, 02:59 AM
Love Tool :D Saw the title and immediately knew what it was from, so I had to watch it. It looks great! Very cool and well done. <claps>

Jadetiger
09-11-2006, 03:08 AM
Read my lips... "You are awesome!!" That was one of the best lip syncs I've ever seen on here. Rock on man! :buttrock:

EyeAmYou
09-11-2006, 03:20 AM
absolutely amazing! just amazing. great work. keep it up!

JulianoCastro
09-11-2006, 04:29 AM
Awsome Acting Man! Awsome!

sachin3d
09-11-2006, 05:01 AM
amazing, its an awsome work man. i don't have word to say. amazing work, keep it up man. really loved it.

scroll-lock
09-11-2006, 06:08 AM
Great piece! Keep it up!:thumbsup:

Joeranimo
09-11-2006, 06:11 AM
ahh, Brilliant!!

Loved this piece and the track!
Beautful animation and shot direction.

As for fine tweaking...after he says "here me now" there seems to be a bit of a jerk.
I also gave thought to the fist slamming down at the "damn you" a split second too late...very minor.

Great Job.

PenguinVisuals
09-11-2006, 06:27 AM
very natural and timing are right on. excellent animation.
you should put your contact/credit in it!

c81
09-11-2006, 06:40 AM
loved the sheep noises in the crowd. funny stuff.

caniky
09-11-2006, 07:00 AM
Great animation! Can you please tell us what compressor did you use. I can't hear the sound.
Looking forward to see the next animation.

5 stars!

mrtprodz
09-11-2006, 08:12 AM
incredible lipsynch and acting :thumbsup::applause:

onurbasaldi
09-11-2006, 08:34 AM
that was def great- beautiful acting.

IestynRoberts
09-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Seriously great animation man! The acting was spot on, and gret lip-synch too. Great stuff!

pixelpickle
09-11-2006, 09:52 AM
yeah that is very nice work mate. got the mouth shapes working very well and the expressions certainly worked for me...
...nice sample choice too :)

well done!

Scob
09-11-2006, 09:59 AM
Absolutely awesome, so huge stuff...:eek:
Congratulation , nothing to say ...:bowdown:
Cheers..
Keep it up....

steverage
09-11-2006, 11:07 AM
mate that was awesome, the acting was superb and the edit/shots were excellent.

hope to see much more from you!

MABB
09-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Aleluya!!, man. It is incredible, ou yeah.

loocas
09-11-2006, 11:57 AM
Cool! And demonic! I like it! :thumbsup:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/rating/rating_5.gif because the acting was really top-notch! and you already know about the problems, mainly of technical matter, so... no worries. :thumbsup:

squeezestudio
09-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Well done man ! tha acting looks great , and the lipsync too.. thats a really nice work ... really inspiring :)

Ciao !

Slurry
09-11-2006, 01:05 PM
Just wanted to add my voice to the praise...really well done man! Exquisite lip sync and facial poses.
Kudos on the FP plug.

Art ;)

meanlebh
09-11-2006, 01:13 PM
Not only was the lipsync spot on, but I would say that the acting was probably some of the most beleivable 3d animation that I have seen in quite a long time. Really awesome work, the best thing that I can say is that you really get sucked into the performance and almost forget that you are watching animation, that can't be said about a lot of work. Congrats.

-Brian M.

WesleyTack
09-11-2006, 01:40 PM
I was just about to ask the artist of the song, i thought it was TOOL.. guess i'm correct...
but whats the song title? anyone? Thanks!

Also, the emotions and guestures are perfectly in sync with the audio.. perfect job, great work!

lorez
09-11-2006, 02:13 PM
the song is disgustapated from undertow (track 69)

i was just listening to that album. looks great.
only problem is thats i all i see when i listen to the song.
i really loved it the acting was great..
keep up the great work

WMBrown
09-11-2006, 02:45 PM
wow, steller work there! i love the little subtle bits, you've nailed the preacher-man hand talk perfectly imo

elGeneral
09-11-2006, 03:16 PM
Nice to see some Tool fans out there;) Thanks for all the replies. I'm glad it works for most folks. The criticism that I got I also welcome, thanks for that too.
I'll probably post a quicktime version...some people cant view it I guess.

3dcga
09-11-2006, 03:34 PM
Great animation and acting mate :)

Just felt at times the acting is a bit too theatrical, but then again, it could just be me :p

Keep it up :D

jakiloblanco
09-11-2006, 04:02 PM
Whoa man!! totally great work!!

and like lorez said, I won't be able to listen to the song the same way again!!

:D

Cadinho
09-11-2006, 04:37 PM
I make Tyson's comments mine... awesome!

I specially loved the "Can I get an aleluia?" part... Also, the editing is very, very, very nice...

Congrats dude, looking forward to seeing more work from you! :thumbsup:

FIVE stars from me!

Global
09-11-2006, 04:55 PM
Damn! I'm really not the type to just drop in and offer nothing but unadulterated praise but...

That's Damn Amazing animation. The weight and timing and the subtle movements just really give this guy life! Well done man!

MrTrichomes
09-11-2006, 05:02 PM
haha yes that was freakin awesome! I want more though. I want to see the animal revolt

PureMoxi
09-11-2006, 05:05 PM
That is just sweet. Very dramatic...good use of camera and the timing is brilliant and varied well. The only thing on the lip sync is where he says "...they have a life. they have a soul." The shape for the "a" in "...a life" doesn't read well...or doesn't exist. I imagine you the shape is there and my monitor is a little dark as everything else is so very good and subtle but for some reason, i don't see it. Likely something that could be pushed a little bit(?). BUT SUCH A NITPICK because, frankly, that is some fresh animation.

Thanks for sharing and inspiring...

spats
09-11-2006, 05:16 PM
Top-notch work and perfect choice for a song :)

fbone
09-11-2006, 05:22 PM
that piece of work is just fantastic..... nothing to add... just fantastic.
Kudos

Djampa
09-11-2006, 06:08 PM
What can I say ?

well...

Welcome to CGSociety ! :D

Now.... WOW ! Just great ! Top notch animator.
The guy is alive....

Keep sharing great animation like this with us. Nothing to add by now.

5 Stars !

SkullboX
09-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Very, very sweet. I won't add anything to what's already been posted, but this is one of the best lipsync's I've seen here. Props! :D

JDex
09-11-2006, 08:53 PM
Hellzyeah!

I have been on an Opiate kick the last day or so (the album/song, not the drug classification thank you) and it is almost scary to me that you released this, almost prophetic. Great job on all accounts.

Paul B
09-11-2006, 09:36 PM
I was suprised that it held my interest so completely for the duration....that's the most impressive bit of lipsynce I've ever seen here. Brilliant!

Spc
09-11-2006, 10:07 PM
Awesome lip sync and awesome "movement".

5stars!

:eek:

shrtcww
09-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Nice work, loved the first shot and the overall feel of the lighting. Great to see people using Generick in such fine form aswell, hopefully it was a blast to work with. (If not email me!)

Ian

MisfitAnimator
09-11-2006, 11:06 PM
:buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock::buttrock:

5 headbangers from me - top notch stuff!

skurge13
09-11-2006, 11:32 PM
Wow, really nice work, you're one of these fellows who make it look easy! I hope you do make a quicktime of it so I can scrub the thing and study it 'till my eyes bleed. Fantastic character animation!

elGeneral
09-12-2006, 01:56 AM
Nice work, loved the first shot and the overall feel of the lighting. Great to see people using Generick in such fine form aswell, hopefully it was a blast to work with. (If not email me!)

Ian

You probably dont even know but you helped out on some issues I was having. I sent you emails and scene files. The animation is actually old. I've been trying to render it all cool with GI and Volumetric light fog...but that was taking months(literally) so I gave up and went for a more standard lighting rig.
Anyhow, Generick was great.

Global
09-12-2006, 02:44 AM
Wow, really nice work, you're one of these fellows who make it look easy! I hope you do make a quicktime of it so I can scrub the thing and study it 'till my eyes bleed. Fantastic character animation!

OOoh, I'll sign up to bleeding eyes too!

*patiently awaits QT version*

monkey-sage
09-12-2006, 04:21 AM
I believe I like the eyebrow animation the most. Very expressive, it adds a nice touch.

Purgpow
09-12-2006, 04:36 AM
i Was like Damn when i heard the Clip, because i too started an animation to that same sound cilp a few years back. But unlike you i didnt complete it. your vision was kinda close to mine.

you Did a great job.

Rock on

moush
09-12-2006, 05:34 AM
Super!!!It is just awesome!!!WOW!!! :buttrock:

elGeneral
09-12-2006, 05:41 AM
The quicktime is pretty big. It doesn't stream either. Sorry...and maybe the audio won't work ....who knows...

http://dungvalley.com/sab/rev_maynard.wmv 10.9M
http://dungvalley.com/sab/rev_maynard.mov (http://dungvalley.com/sab/rev_maynard.mov) 35.4M

HappyCalaveras
09-12-2006, 06:27 AM
haha, that's fantastic! Great poses and camera angles, not to mention great lip-sync and facial expressions. He's really got that insane manic-depressive televangelist/revival-tent preacher quality to him. Excellent work, congratulations.

notavailable
09-12-2006, 07:07 AM
i really dig this one

great job

waiting to see more

wtoddk
09-12-2006, 08:01 AM
Great work! The animation is fantastic... but what makes gives it even more energy are the camera cuts. Congrats! :scream:

DJ-Nicke
09-12-2006, 08:34 AM
Hey dude, very nice work. You even incorporated the slight "lisp" in the voicetrack.

I also like your use of subtle drifts and a perfectly subtle use of arcs, especially on the fingers. Very nice man. Everything feels very fleshy. The eyes are very well done also. It really feels like he's talking to a crowd.

I also like how you vary the speed of objects on their path. For instance his head tilting back on the line "and to them... it is the holocaust." Really beautiful.

I wish I could offer some constructive criticism about the animation but its all pretty much spot on and would only be a difference in interpretation. Besides, you'd be better off teaching me. I'll be saving this and also going through it frame-by-frame.

Keep up the good work! Any tips or pointers you'd like to share? How do you plan the weight and "randomness" that gives it the life? Do you plan it or is it a straight ahead pass (or series of) animated to gut feelings?

michael-olszak
09-12-2006, 05:21 PM
Cool man. nicely done

MartinRomero
09-12-2006, 05:22 PM
I'lll tell ya what, do not be sick of watching it because is a very nice piece. I wish I would it done something like this for animation class. The animation is very smooth, the facial expressions are just right on. It's very dynamic and I just love it. If you post a tutorial in character animation that would be great!, just kidding, but if you do please let us know. Good work and keep it up

Gato3d

elGeneral
09-12-2006, 05:38 PM
Hey dude, very nice work. You even incorporated the slight "lisp" in the voicetrack.

I also like your use of subtle drifts and a perfectly subtle use of arcs, especially on the fingers. Very nice man. Everything feels very fleshy. The eyes are very well done also. It really feels like he's talking to a crowd.

I also like how you vary the speed of objects on their path. For instance his head tilting back on the line "and to them... it is the holocaust." Really beautiful.

I wish I could offer some constructive criticism about the animation but its all pretty much spot on and would only be a difference in interpretation. Besides, you'd be better off teaching me. I'll be saving this and also going through it frame-by-frame.

Keep up the good work! Any tips or pointers you'd like to share? How do you plan the weight and "randomness" that gives it the life? Do you plan it or is it a straight ahead pass (or series of) animated to gut feelings?

Nothing breakthrough here. I use character sets. The workflow is like it is in 2D. Key poses, breakdowns...work out timing. I use spline, no weights . No linear or stepped. I break a tangent here and there. I dont move keys sideways to get delay/offset timing. I do that using tangents or a breakdown pose. Usually keeping a pose on one frame(as opposed to offsets) makes it easier to edit.
I did a lot of acting out...much to my gitrlfriends amusement.

Chris Buckley
09-12-2006, 06:17 PM
Hey, people are pretty stoked on your animation and rightfully so. Can you go over your procedure of how you did this?

-Did you rough the animation out before setting cameras, or did you pick each camera according to what he was saying and animated each shot as a separate scene? Or was it one long scene and you slapped cameras on after the fact.
-Also, what kind of reference did you use, were you up Sunday mornings watching tv a lot, or did you act it out on video?
-Any little tips you can pass on to newer animators to how you came up with the acting, posing and lip-sync?

Again, great work!!

elGeneral
09-12-2006, 06:44 PM
Hey, people are pretty stoked on your animation and rightfully so. Can you go over your procedure of how you did this?

-Did you rough the animation out before setting cameras, or did you pick each camera according to what he was saying and animated each shot as a separate scene? Or was it one long scene and you slapped cameras on after the fact.
-Also, what kind of reference did you use, were you up Sunday mornings watching tv a lot, or did you act it out on video?
-Any little tips you can pass on to newer animators to how you came up with the acting, posing and lip-sync?

Again, great work!!

thanks!
It was a pretty organic process at the start. Kind of like previz or storyboarding. I posed the character, blocked in the camera, tweeked until the cuts worked...then animated. later I did minor changes to the camera.
As far as references go, I did watch some early Sunday tv, there was also some video references of myself.
Great book PaulEkman (http://www.amazon.ca/Unmasking-Face-Recognizing-Emotions-Expressions/dp/1883536367/sr=8-1/qid=1158091832/ref=sr_1_1/701-8925677-1370746?ie=UTF8&s=gateway)

simple_minded
09-12-2006, 06:48 PM
AMEN!This is great! I just saw TOOL Last week in Las Vegas, This is a great piece of work! I always thought someone should do an animaton of that of that track! Keep it up!

!BAMF!

Let the rabbits wear glasses!

!BAMF!

elGeneral
09-12-2006, 07:13 PM
AMEN!This is great! I just saw TOOL Last week in Las Vegas, This is a great piece of work! I always thought someone should do an animaton of that of that track! Keep it up!

!BAMF!

:)Im seeing them on the 23rd. 5th time. Should be awesome.

Grayscale
09-12-2006, 08:14 PM
Great Anim man! And definately a cool choice of sound clip. It's different, long, and works SO well. Good stuff. Just read how you went through the process on this one. Interesting with no offsets, I'll have to try that sometime. Top Notch work man!

Now.. get working on the next one. I need more to look at.

og_reborn
09-12-2006, 08:50 PM
really really really really really really awesome.

I love the way you animated most of the words that end in S sounds...The lipsync on "cries of the carrots," (first time) and "terrified brothers" were sweet. But "holocost" was my favorite.

inspiring. :beer:

hugogt
09-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Awesome man!!!:applause:

I love the acting, the timming and superb spacing.
You rock!!!

Hugo.

nethus
09-13-2006, 01:56 AM
wow that really is absolutely incredible... really really nice work. So convincing. I don't think I've ever seen better :)

DJ-Nicke
09-13-2006, 03:19 AM
Nothing breakthrough here. I use character sets. The workflow is like it is in 2D. Key poses, breakdowns...work out timing. I use spline, no weights . No linear or stepped. I break a tangent here and there. I dont move keys sideways to get delay/offset timing. I do that using tangents or a breakdown pose. Usually keeping a pose on one frame(as opposed to offsets) makes it easier to edit.
I did a lot of acting out...much to my gitrlfriends amusement.

That's good to hear. Yeah, I've never been a huge fan of "offsetting" keys to get overlapp etc. I was trained by traditional guys and I also prefer to keep all my poses on a frame. It's just a better way to think about your scene: in poses rather than a collection of movements that happen to pass through poses.

Anyway, I'd love to get your comments on my reel. Just click on the link in my signature if you ever get time!

Paul B
09-13-2006, 04:55 AM
Watched it again and feel compelled to say, "Holy Crap!". It felt great from the moment the camera starts to push in as the music builds in the second shot and the tension just ratchets upwards from there. Superb camera work as well as animation. Thanks for posting it.

elGeneral
09-13-2006, 06:46 PM
Watched it again and feel compelled to say, "Holy Crap!". It felt great from the moment the camera starts to push in as the music builds in the second shot and the tension just ratchets upwards from there. Superb camera work as well as animation. Thanks for posting it.

Thanks. I never thought that people would notice the camera stuff.

spyxx
09-14-2006, 01:32 AM
good elGeneral .... very good exactly, I felt lack of the personage if to move a little… but congratulations

:buttrock: :buttrock:

Danmoreno
09-15-2006, 01:14 PM
Very nice! The audio quality looks a little strange to me. the animation is great! :)

akin
09-16-2006, 07:56 AM
good work and bright style

durashka
09-16-2006, 04:31 PM
Inspirational and brilliant...:love:

Helix44
09-20-2006, 04:19 AM
Brilliant! That was totally neccessary!

T4D
09-20-2006, 08:42 AM
WOW great work, MAN you nailed it :applause:
pose the timing very tight :thumbsup:

What software did you uses to animate with ?

edit - sorry Generick rig = maya ?

Joe Burnham
09-20-2006, 12:35 PM
Now animate, Message to Harry Manback. Or maybe Faaip De Oiad! :)

Fantastic work, man.

katana2665
09-24-2006, 12:07 AM
I believe Brother!...I believe...

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2006, 12:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.