PDA

View Full Version : Character: 17 yo boy

albynism
09-09-2006, 10:23 PM
HI, this is a character I made for a short animation i will be doing as well as a portfolio piece. Most of it is finish just need to do more work on the hair. His name is Tim, 17 yo and is a bit reckless. I will begin working on his buddy, Jeremy, soon. he is around 6500 tris. Do leave comments or criticism. Thank you.

http://users.tpg.com.au/susantio/art/tim_01.jpg

Stefander
09-10-2006, 10:51 AM
Looks nice... But if you don't give a wireframe and/or texture flats we aren't really able to crit...

ChozoRaider
09-11-2006, 06:47 AM
As for your textures, nice solid color scheme, but a little heavy on the yellows; try to spice it up a little. The flesh is a little to shiny, tone down just a little and give it a little noise in the specularity to create surface variety (helps get rid of the plasticky look). The hair, i think, is my favorite part, nicely done. Push the texturing some more though, i.e. tear up the jeans, stain the shirt, and wear out the shoes, ya know? He's too "pristine". Any further crit really needs the wire frame and raw model shots, though. Excellent start, though, even on the modeling judging by the silhouette line.

albynism
09-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the reply, exactly the type of crits i need. Will keep them in mind for future models. I wasn't aiming for realism, instead I wanted to have my drawing style to show through in 3D.

This is a pose i made roughly and I just realised his hands are a bit off....
Note to selft: do teeth, tongue. inner mouth, fix hair and hands.

http://users.tpg.com.au/susantio/art/Tim_03.jpg

wireframe is here http://users.tpg.com.au/susantio/art/Tim_02.jpg

living_for_cg
09-11-2006, 09:13 PM
thats nice. could you show us the textures?

Stefander
09-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Wires are pretty small, but it's enough to make out that your poly distribution looks nice enough, you may have too many polys in the face as you can fake a lot with a flat plane and a texture already, but that's OK. The forms are alright, pretty hard to see from such a small pic, but the arms could be a tiny little weeny longer. Also, the wrists are a bit fat, but that could just be his little personal problem ;)

Good work on the rest, the spec does look too shiny and plastic to be clothing and skin, it's almost Doom 3-like. You might want to add more color variation in the skin, looks too much like it's one color you picked for the skin, that doesn't really add to the believability of the character. It looks almost like he's dead now, he looks a bit pale... Give him a little color!

I do like the wrinkles in the clothing, but the star on the t-shirt is too... Red. It's not clear what material it's made of, whether it was pressed on (make it a little more shiny if it is), or if it's sewed on. A large part of the believability of the character depends on how the materials are set up, if you have a beautiful model, you can mess it up real good by giving it a bad texture. This could be one awesome piece, you just need to put the small details in, they give character to the guy. Give him stains, rips or holes in his clothing, dirty him up with mud on his pants... It's an awesome model, but the texture and spec doesn't really do it justice... I don't want you to think I have to shoot down everything you did, don't get me wrong, I like it, I just want it to be better, and I know you can do it... :)

albynism
09-13-2006, 11:55 AM
thanks for the critique. fixed the wrist and still having hard time doing the face texture. maybe i should just plop a photo in there... but that would be cheating? he has a lot of poly on his face cos i plan to do a lot of expressive facial animation.

will post the texture soon

PenguinVisuals
09-13-2006, 08:37 PM
I love what you got. Except for the clean textures it looks as good as the silent-hill game models.

His upper body is kinda huge. Looks like a full-grown man's chest on a child's proportion.

albynism
09-16-2006, 01:57 PM
well i'm trying to model him in a t-shirt that is way too large for him but i think its making him look fat. :P

I'm starting to do some facial test and to show off his new teeth :D

http://users.tpg.com.au/susantio/art/Tim_04.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
09-16-2006, 01:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.