PDA

View Full Version : how can 450 users kill the server?

G Nilsson
01-28-2003, 07:36 PM
hello
i get these messages that the server is busy, but there are only 450users online... that doesnt sound like very much to me....
/G

stunndman
01-29-2003, 08:19 AM
that's a licensing issue - either by vBulletin or by the database server - not a server load issue - the server overload message is definitely misleading

Rabid pitbull
02-01-2003, 04:20 PM
that is amazing considering only a few months ago that message would appear around 220 users...

count your blessings after all this is a free site.

just keep hitting refresh and it will connect!:shrug:

seanr
02-06-2003, 09:41 PM
If that's a licensing issue than Jelsoft _SUCKS_. What right do they have to limit how many users a forum can have?

PixelShader
02-06-2003, 10:15 PM
It's not a licensing issue. It is a server issue - 450 users and all of you are viewing avatars and attachments, which needs to be pulled from the database. Searches and insertions also play a big load on the server.

Majority of forums out there that are this big have avatars and attachments turned off.

Geoff.

Leonard
02-06-2003, 10:32 PM
Geoff is right. It's not a licensing issue and I don't know why you guys all jump to conclusions so quickly.

L.

seanr
02-07-2003, 07:17 PM
Upgrade the server or turn off avatars, then. What's the point of having a site that if people can't access it? If money is a problem, you guys should start taking donations or sell shirts and stuff using cafepress.com - anything to avoid having the server block users.

Leonard
02-07-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by seanr
Upgrade the server or turn off avatars, then. What's the point of having a site that if people can't access it? If money is a problem, you guys should start taking donations or sell shirts and stuff using cafepress.com - anything to avoid having the server block users.

Yes it's that simple :) We must be blind to not see the solution.

:beer:

Leo

seanr
02-07-2003, 08:28 PM
I realize it's not a simple matter, but it defaintely cannot be left the way it is. You guys wanted popularity, now you've got to deal with the consequences.

Leonard
02-07-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by seanr
You guys wanted popularity, now you've got to deal with the consequences.

Dear seanr,

Thanks for you comments. We're doing everything we can given the resources allocated. I've been tweaking and improving performance on CGTalk intermittently over the last month and we're already far better than we used to be. We've turned off in-line viewing of attachments to encourage artists to find their own hosting solutions rather than use CGTalk as a freeloading website. I've also hacked VBulletin to store custom avatars as files rather than insert them into the database. That coupled with numerous improvements to the server (RAM, CPU), PHP Cache and Acceleration

All of these optimizations happen on the backend to improve the quality and performance of this website. For example, today the server is performing amicably due to yesterday's avatar hack and disabling in-line viewing.

Again, thanks for your comments.

Leonard Teo

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.