PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic, thumbnail driven image gallery

lildragon
01-28-2003, 07:22 PM
Heya all,

I'm looking to create a dynamic image gallery in flash. Images and their thumbnails to be pulled from a categorised database. ie. pick a category and the appropiate thumbnails are presented in the flash. Clicking the thumbnail gives you the big version.

I realise this is a bit vague but I am coming from the design side of flash. Feels like it is going to be a long process! Think of www.terminator3.com maybe that might help, just view their image gallery setup, this is pretty much where I want to go.

Any thoughts about tutorials, examples etc would be appreciated.

thx

salud

Clanger
01-28-2003, 11:26 PM
Sounds like a great idea, though the T3 site was a bit over the top, things had quite a delay and I'm on broadband.

I did like the way the large pics had their own window and would stay there even after choosing another.

PS. when I look at my profile I'm nearly 9 years younger! No complaints here but I guess there's something screwy with the code.

Per-Anders
01-29-2003, 12:06 AM
i used a dynamic gallery on my website, at teh time i didn't know how ot do databases, so it uses a text file, all i needed to do was change the text file...

i can offer help

(you can see my website which is very old, but it sitll works, check teh flash section of the homepage and teh gallery in there, it randomly brings up 5 images, but it's easy ot change the behaviour).

the way i would set it up is simply, a single table with index, thumbnail, full screen, name, text to go with image.

flash requests the image list from a php script that returns the thumbnails to flash as variable list, that flash then parses into an array.

flash creates as many movies as it needs based on the count of the image array. then it loads in jpg thumbs into these movies, and places them however you want. do your own behaviour

make each movie clickable, then when a movie is clicked falsh sends the index in a variable to pxp, php picks out the large image location and the text, returns this to flash, once flash has retrieved this info (use onData) it loads up the image into a new movieclip, once the movie has loaded go to the point int eh timeline where this movieclip is visible put the text next to it.

it shouldn't be too difficult, now just ask if you need any help with the code, but first off try to do this with just two images or something, not caring about layout so you can get teh code working.

-JT-
01-29-2003, 02:44 AM
You have to check this one : http://www.mjau-mjau.com/images/
I'm not sure but it could be dynamic. :)

lildragon
01-29-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by -JT-
You have to check this one : http://www.mjau-mjau.com/images/
I'm not sure but it could be dynamic. :)

Oh now this I love, wonder how it works :) and I'll try your suggestion today mdme_sadie thx ;)

salud

-JT-
01-29-2003, 10:55 AM
mjau-mjau are saying on their site that they'll release the source when the project is over, so let's be patient. :)

fig
01-29-2003, 07:05 PM
you might also check out the flash mx magic book, there's a chapter in there on setting up wallpaper thumbnails from a series of loaded JPGs that would work really similarly to something like this without using a database (just a numbered series of images i think).

chris

lildragon
01-30-2003, 07:44 PM
Okie found a way to load non-progressive JPEG using flash MX, now to learn how to feed them from a database :)

_root.createEmptyMovieClip("container",1);
container.loadMovie("photo.jpg");
container._x = container._y = 50 ;

_root.onMouseDown = function () {
startDrag ("container",false) ;
}
_root.onMouseUp = function () {
stopDrag () ;
}

salud

lildragon
01-30-2003, 08:02 PM
this looks even better http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/tip/025.html

salud

Per-Anders
01-30-2003, 08:22 PM
ah, you're going to want to brush up on the sendvariables commands and the loadmovie command. what needs to happen is you send stuff to a script that returns these values.

i would recommend getting the friends of ed books on php and flash or dynamic flash. these will seriously help you with getting database driven sites up and running. both with the server script side of things and the getting flash to retrieve info.

nowadays we have a couple of newer commands in there that allow us to retrieve variables and even give a status as to how much info is left to come (you didn't used to be bale to do this, only the loadmovie comand gave this info in v5).

good luck.

lildragon
01-30-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by mdme_sadie
i would recommend getting the friends of ed books on php and flash or dynamic flash. these will seriously help you with getting database driven sites up and running. both with the server script side of things and the getting flash to retrieve info.

Have both in my hands right here ;) reading....

This ain't to shabby either http://www.tableau.com.au/tutorials/create_dynamic/

salud

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.