PDA

View Full Version : Modeling a Horse

croonstreet
09-09-2006, 03:12 AM
Hi, My name's Austin Hillebrecht and I'm taking a 3D animation course in New Zealand at the moment. Right now, we're learning to model in Maya and we have been assigned to model a realistic horse. I'm planning on modeling a Shire Horse, but I still need to work out the topology for it. I have some ideas on what to do for it, but mostly, I'm a little lost. Does anyone have any good tips, ideas, or suggestions on how I should plan this topology out?
Thanks.

maje3d
09-12-2006, 01:33 AM
what you need to do is block out the main shape. First start off with a cube for the main body. Place as many subdivisions in the mesh as needed, but just to get the basic shape. No need to go nuts with adding detail just yet.

Then, you need to go and extrude out the legs. After that, go for the head. Once the basic form and shape has been acquired, you need to gradually refine the model and tweak verts to perfect it.

Hope this answers your question.

brro
03-01-2007, 10:59 AM
you can see a tutorial called ''joan of arc'' it's about modeling a girl body ...i hope you found your answersimages/icons/icon10.gif.

Dann-O
03-05-2007, 12:31 PM
OK I don't advise starting with a cube. I boxmodel too but I start with a 12 sided cylinder and block out the shape . Get the basic body shape. Then mirror it. Then extrude out the legs from the side and down. Extrude out the neck from the top. Sice it is a horse I advise to work on the head seperate and then brige it on the body later so you can work on the head seperate and concentrate on that. I have only done 1 or 2 horses but a number of other 4 legged herbivores like deer llama's camels etc. a lot of similarities. Once you ge tthe basic shape so it looks good in smoothed mode commit subdivisions and then you have enough polygons to go into some detail cut dissolve etc. Good luck. Shire horses are my favorite.

Show us your progess.

ridix
03-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Good thing is that Shire horse is boxy. I started a first cut trial run from 2 x 4 x 3 box, and it seems to work ok.

Dann-O
03-13-2007, 03:32 PM
Hey it is a start.(too early gor godo critiques.) I am working on a Shire myself . they are my favorite hoses after Imade freinds with one while stayign in Britain. Their face is actually easier too because the nose is very straight. My WIP is in the wings forum.

CGTalk Moderation
03-13-2007, 03:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.