PDA

View Full Version : File formats for Houdini

john
01-28-2003, 08:00 PM
Hello

Can anyone recommend a file translation software that will allow me to import files modeled in another package into Houdini?

Stuff modeled in Maya but needed to work in Houdini to finish the project? Any ideas?

Regards

John

Emrys
01-28-2003, 08:07 PM
Houdini reads obj's without a problem. They're probably your best bet. If you're looking for NURBS, then iv's or iges are a good solution. So as long as you can output these from Maya (which I'm fairly certain you can) then you should be fine.

Cheers

john
01-29-2003, 10:10 AM
I have tried and tried to import OBJ's into Houdini but to no avail. In the file SOP I get a red flag where it says no geometry available.

I can't even open IGES files now.....any ideas what or where I'm going wrong?

Thanks for the help.

Regards

John

MCronin
01-29-2003, 11:49 AM
You probably have a space in one of the folder names in the path to the object. Put the obj in a path with no spaces and it will load fine. Also, when you get the object in, you may have to apply a facet SOP and calcaulate the objects normals, or it won't shade properly.

john
01-30-2003, 10:41 AM
I got rid of all space in the folder names but nothing worked. Although I can re-open all the OBJ or IGES files I am exporting I cannot open them in Houdini. I am really confused now!! Is there a way of exporting to Houdini's native *.bgeo format from Maya or anyhting else for that matter?

Thanks again for the help.

Regards

John

dantea
01-30-2003, 04:48 PM
Try this. Create a folder named c:\home. Put your files in there. In the File SOP, type c:/home/mygeo.obj where mygeo.obj is the name of your file.

john
02-03-2003, 10:43 AM
cheers...thanks for the tip. It worked a treat!! Any reason why this would be?Thanks again for the great help...

Regards

John

MCronin
02-03-2003, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by john
Any reason why this would be?

Houdini uses a Unix type of directory structure internally on Windows, and it doesn't truncate paths properly if there are spaces in the directory structure. Side FX is aware of the problem.

Shannon
02-10-2003, 04:53 AM
I think most people using Houdini on Windoze just simply install to their root C:/ Same for prman. It just saves so much hassle.
In the end, its worth the reinstall.

Jaspar
02-10-2003, 03:53 PM
Anyone got any idea how houdini is with importing animated scene files? I'm thinking of adding Select to my pipeline, but would like to import character animations from LW or Maya. I've heard of Maya animations being imported to Houdini, but am not sure whether this applies to Select?:shrug:
Thanks.

MCronin
02-10-2003, 04:55 PM
I've never tried Select, but I don't think it has any character animation tools. You could import baked frames of character animation I guess. Not really sure now to go about it. Object level animation should be a snap to import though.

With Master and Escape you have character animation tools, and you can convert Motion Analysis, Biovision, and Acclaim motion capture through Houdini's command line tools, and load it into Houdini. So if you need skinned character animation, that'd be the way to go.

Houdini does allow you to load channels as clips which are just ascii files. It should be a fairly easy process to write a MEL script that will wite out properly formatted clips that you can import into Houdini. I think the City of Hong Kong Univerity actually has a tutorial about getting from Maya to Houdini right here:

http://cade.scope.edu/courseware/notes/houdini/integrate.html

main page here:

http://cade.scope.edu/

Jaspar
02-10-2003, 05:23 PM
Thanks alot MCronin, that totally answers my question.

arctor
02-11-2003, 01:03 AM
also check out Chan Dumper at od[force] > here (http://www.odforce.net/downloads/tools/chandump.mel)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.