PDA

View Full Version : Cloning Polygons

Bmoner
09-09-2006, 12:06 AM
I'm following that Joan of Arc tutorial (but using my own model drawing) and was wondering how to clone a polygon from an object for use elsewhere?

I just got done forming the polygons for the eye area and have to clone one of those polygons for use in the mouth area. I did it some weird way and when I went in to go weld my points, it wasn't able to and gave me some error so I'm guessing I did that wrong.

Here's a link to the Joan of Arc head modeling (http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/head1.asp)

I know how to do this in max, but not XSI. Can anyone help me to achieve what they want in this tutorial?

Also...when I open a saved scene my objects are NOT in the same place that I left them. Anyone know how to remedy this?

Brandon.

NRG-Alpha
09-09-2006, 12:17 AM
Select a polygon, right-click to get the contextual menu, and select duplicate polygon.
On a side note, you should start making use of the F1 (online help manual).

Just start typing in words like clone or duplicate in the search field, and in the result window, there should be tons of info related to those.

F1 is your friend. (Not mine though.. I mapped F1-F5 to the various viewport displays.. i.e wireframe, shaded, hidden line removal. etc..).. and oddly enough, in the top menu, under Help>XSI Guides, it is still listing the keyboard shortcut as F1.. huh.. odd, really).

In either case, make use of the F1 online manual.. you can learn alot from it.

Cheers,

NRG

****** Edit... also.. in the event that key word searches like Clone does not get you what you are looking for, you can try more generalized searches..dfor example, type in 'polygon', and everything related to polygon should show up. End edit******

Bmoner
09-09-2006, 12:25 AM
Select a polygon, right-click to get the contextual menu, and select duplicate polygon.
On a side note, you should start making use of the F1 (online help manual).

Just start typing in words like clone or duplicate in the search field, and in the result window, there should be tons of info related to those.

F1 is your friend. (Not mine though.. I mapped F1-F5 to the various viewport displays.. i.e wireframe, shaded, hidden line removal. etc..).. and oddly enough, in the top menu, under Help>XSI Guides, it is still listing the keyboard shortcut as F1.. huh.. odd, really).

In either case, make use of the F1 online manual.. you can learn alot from it.

Cheers,

NRG

Ok I don't know what's up with my program, but I tried that so many times and it was duplicating, but was still attached to the object. Now that you post, everythings fine. Figures that would happen.

Oh and I'm very new to XSI so F1 has become my friend...just not at that time. lol

Thanks NRG!

NRG-Alpha
09-09-2006, 12:29 AM
No problem.. there is also the polygon menu on the left side interface (assuming it is set to Modeling). You can select a face, then goto poly.mesh (found in the Create panel), and there is 'Extract Polygons', with two options (keep or delete) as well as my first option.

Cheers,

NRG

Bmoner
09-09-2006, 12:30 AM
So now what about the problem I'm having where I'll save a scene, but when I bring it up later my objects aren't in the same place?

I haven't cloased XSI for the past 3 days because of this.

NRG-Alpha
09-09-2006, 12:34 AM
Hmm.. that doesn't sound too good.. That's a good question.. usually someone like JDex, Atyss or Jaco could help out with that one.. but in any event.. doesn't sound to good at all..

***Edit -Perhaps your scene is corrupt? Perhaps merging into a new scene would correct it? Just shooting in the dark here. End Edit ***
Sorry I can't help you with that one.

Cheers,

NRG

Bmoner
09-09-2006, 12:35 AM
Hmm.. that doesn't sound too good.. That's a good question.. usually someone like JDex, Atyss or Jaco could help out with that one.. but in any event.. doesn't sound to good at all..

Sorry I can't help you with that one.

Cheers,

NRG

Alright well thanks for your help for the other stuff guy.

Cheers,

Brandon.

JDex
09-09-2006, 12:51 AM
Your objects don't appear in the same place after saving and restarting? You probably have keyframes on the positions of your objects... it's hard to say without looking over the scene itself.

tuna
09-09-2006, 12:57 AM
So now what about the problem I'm having where I'll save a scene, but when I bring it up later my objects aren't in the same place?

I haven't cloased XSI for the past 3 days because of this.

You have probably set keys on those objects ("k" sets keys, so if you've accidently pressed that, it probably happened), in the KP/L tab on the right (keying panel), see if your objects have squigly lines or red/yellow boxes on the position x/y/z channels. if so, right click on them and choose remove animation.

Bmoner
09-09-2006, 02:08 AM
Yep that did it. I wonder how in hell that happened. I don't even remember being anywhere near those buttons...hmmm.

Thanks people! You guys are so nice.

Brandon.

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2006, 02:08 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.