PDA

View Full Version : Normal map viewing,

j5ive
09-08-2006, 01:52 PM
I've been told that in order to correctly view my normal map inside maya viewports i will need a realtime shader from nvidia. IS this correct, I am using Maya 6.0 will this work?

http://developer.nvidia.com/object/MayaCgPlugin.html

Even though its for 4.0 and 5.0?

Please help guys as I can't really continue until i can verify my normal map is sweet.

psychojohno
09-08-2006, 02:51 PM
hmmm good luck getting any help from somebody on this site i had the same problem a few weeks ago and nobody could answer! Mainly because most people use 3ds max for some reason lol. I tried instanling that plug in along with many others on my maya 6.5 which wasnt supported by anyone really so i had to downgrade to maya 5 and i still couldnt get it to work. The nvidia site didnt have any instructions on how to do it really and the download didnt come with any :D in the end i gave up and exported my model to the far cry editor and applied the normal maps in that where i could actually see them! Somebody please help the guy would be good if i could find out aswell :eek:. Maybe you should just export your model to a game editor that supports normal maps and put it on there if you can get the help.

Good luck

cyi
09-08-2006, 03:03 PM
You should check out this thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=129627

There is a TON of info on normal mapping for every software package. You should be able to find your answers there. Good luck!

Auctane
09-08-2006, 04:08 PM
IMO, that Normal Mapping thread is a lost cause. There is way too much to read through in order to find answers.

Sorry I cant help, I am not a frequent Maya user.

j5ive
09-08-2006, 04:37 PM
I've looked through that thread but theres so much, its literally finding a needle in the proverbial haystack, it either needs someone to sit down and segregate it into relevant sections or scrapping.

UnAlternate
09-08-2006, 04:41 PM
i've never used any plugin at all to view normal maps in mayas viewport. just turn on high quality rendering in the shading tab in the viewport. i'm not sure about older versions, but i've worked like this since 6.5 at least.

jfalconer
09-08-2006, 05:09 PM
i've never used any plugin at all to view normal maps in mayas viewport. just turn on high quality rendering in the shading tab in the viewport. i'm not sure about older versions, but i've worked like this since 6.5 at least.

...depending on your video card. Mine won't display normal maps because my card apparently doesn't support it - odd, considering they display just fine in Zbrush!

GradiusCancer
09-08-2006, 05:13 PM
You shouldn't need any plug-ins. Just cut on high quality render (as stated), and be sure your material is setup properly. The bottom section of this tutor explains how it's all setup:
http://chrisholden.net/tutor/util01.htm

CGTalk Moderation
09-08-2006, 05:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.