PDA

View Full Version : WORLD OF WARCRAFT hits $1 billion in revenue in 2006

RobertoOrtiz
09-08-2006, 05:52 AM
Quote:
"According to The New York Times, the WORLD OF WARCRAFT game is on pace to generate over $1 billion in revenue this year alone.

The game, made by Blizzard Entertainment, has over 7 million paying subscribers and is the first video game to reach such a large market in the history of Internet gaming. "

>>LINK<< (http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Games&action=page&type_id=&cat_id=270351&obj_id=52187)

-R

Saban
09-08-2006, 06:02 AM
All proceeds will go to olympic sized swimming pools filled with 100$ bills and assorted small change.

parallax
09-08-2006, 08:04 AM
And a 20 foot postcard that says: "piracy sure aint hurting us."

Kabab
09-08-2006, 12:52 PM
And a 20 foot postcard that says: "piracy sure aint hurting us."
Thats because you can't pirate it..

You can bet if you could their revenue would be no where near that.

pichoo
09-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Actually I believe there are quite a number of people running on their own server, which means no subsciption. I dont know how much of the gameplay they would have to sacrafice for that.

But this news is really no surprise.

DrFx
09-08-2006, 02:13 PM
:) OK, let's start taking bets... is EA going to buy Blizzard ot the other way around?

imashination
09-08-2006, 03:04 PM
O'rly?

Regarding private servers, these have utterly no effect on revenue, as you need several thousand on a server for it to be worth playing there. Private servers are pretty much just for messing about with and throwing 100 dragons in an orphanage full of children.

Signal2Noise
09-08-2006, 03:16 PM
Anyway...

That's great news for Blizzard. Hopefully it means we'll see continued support for WoW and plenty more add-on worlds and such. I actually bought WoW when it first came out a couple of years ago. But I haven't even installed yet! I guess I should give it a try one of these days but I'm afraid my life will be sucked out of me. :hmm:

pichoo
09-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Not sure how effective playing on private servers, as I dont even play the game. I only know a guy who did this who is from a 3rd world country. I guess there will always be those rebel/underground community. How do they get the fund to do this? I dont know really. Cheaper subscribtion maybe? But I agree this kind of thing wont affect much on blizzard revenue.

Grayscale
09-08-2006, 04:15 PM
YAY. I'm contributing to their $ 1 Billion! $12 dollars a month :)

schuubars
09-08-2006, 04:35 PM
YAY. I'm contributing to their $ 1 Billion! $12 dollars a month :)

I'm not..anymore..everytime the same...i wonder how long the price per month will stay at this level...not that i woul'd play again after a fee drop.

yeah suck the cow out.

Apoclypse
09-08-2006, 04:47 PM
Wi8ll they ever release a Word of Starcraft? How about a World of Diablo. They easily keep making World of titles forever.

gabe28
09-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Has a single movie ever made a billion I wonder. Or any other single entertainment release? Pretty amazing. How much did EverQuest make back in the day?

arctor
09-08-2006, 05:08 PM
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Pirates 2 will hit 1 Billion sometime this week.... but it's made that money in just 2 months...

Jadetiger
09-08-2006, 06:04 PM
I'm glad I was able to resist the urge to throw my money away into this game. Don't get me wrong MMORPGs are fun, but they will CONSUME YOUR SOULS!

....I'm a rehabilitated ex-player of Final Fantasy XI Online.

RobertoOrtiz
09-08-2006, 06:19 PM
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/

Pirates 2 will hit 1 Billion sometime this week.... but it's made that money in just 2 months...

The scary part is that Warcraft did this revenue this year alone. A movie to pull this off is a once in a blue moon kind of thing.

-R

Fonix
09-08-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm glad I was able to resist the urge to throw my money away into this game. Don't get me wrong MMORPGs are fun, but they will CONSUME YOUR SOULS!

....I'm a rehabilitated ex-player of Final Fantasy XI Online.

Hello my name is Stephen and I'm an ex WoW junkie.

man im glad i quit that game, it really does suck your soul.

noxy
09-08-2006, 07:16 PM
The scary part is that Warcraft did this revenue this year alone. A movie to pull this off is a once in a blue moon kind of thing.

-R

Also, there's no reason to think WOW might not make a billion next year too. Movies can't keep a sustained revenue stream like that, and before MMORPGs, neither could games.

Noxy

Caffeinemonkey
09-08-2006, 11:38 PM
The sad thing is most of the original team that made WOW is gone. Word is most of that money is going to vivendi and whats left over goes to the higher ups at Blizzard. Whats left from that goes to the managers.

nice.

Kaostick
09-08-2006, 11:40 PM
Around the next corner.. A small piece of hardware that will let you carry your character around in the real world and challenge people to PVP matches. :shrug:

francomanko
09-08-2006, 11:48 PM
yeah and socially interact....the virtual characters that is.

imashination
09-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Around the next corner.. A small piece of hardware that will let you carry your character around in the real world and challenge people to PVP matches. :shrug:

Been there, done that:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digimon_Battle_Pets

Saurus
09-09-2006, 12:33 AM
The sad thing is most of the original team that made WOW is gone. Word is most of that money is going to vivendi and whats left over goes to the higher ups at Blizzard. Whats left from that goes to the managers.

nice.

Vivendi leaves Blizzard alone...they don't want to mess with a good thing. There were several Blizzard employees who left and wanting to create their own version of WOW.

kOsMos3D
09-09-2006, 01:04 AM

nice.

I am sure whoever worked on WoW is getting a decent bonus this Christmas. :) I also wonder if previous workers will get something. I think we might even hear ex employers suing Blizzard. That's the problem with software, you can get someone to create it, pay them once, fire them, make infinite copies and resell the software/game as many times as you like and on top of it collect a monthly fee from all the millions of users playing this game.

Just my 2 cents! ;)

Howitzer
09-09-2006, 02:11 AM
My dad and stepmother play Everquest 2 on seperate computers to cooperate online. It's amazing to watch. Dad has told me it's better than reading a book, and a good way to whind down after work.

The only sad thing about it is that I can't buy them games for Christmas because they only play Everquest 2.

It only gets unhealthy if the person gives up higene, social life, and his job for the game. (yes, you can live off of them.........)

Kabab
09-09-2006, 04:36 AM
Just to put it in perspective Autodesk does about 2 billion in revenue...

Rick Flowers
09-09-2006, 05:56 AM
Woot Woooooot!!! *chugachugachugachuga* WOOT WOOOOT!

krazyrokr
09-09-2006, 06:08 AM
Hello my name is Stephen and I'm an ex WoW junkie.

man im glad i quit that game, it really does suck your soul.

same here i lost over a year of my life

spurcell
09-09-2006, 02:38 PM
also an ex wow junkie. I still play occasionally, but its maybe a couple hours a week instead of several hours a day. It was a good filler while my wife was deployed in iraq, but it was a bitch to finally quit. Even now, I just log in every once and a while to play some pvp with my twink.

They really need to come up with something post 60 that doesn't involve raiding the same dungeon time and time again to try and get that next epic.

CIM
09-09-2006, 06:24 PM
With their first expansion coming out soon, I'm sure they'll make another billion just selling that.

PhilOsirus
09-10-2006, 02:47 AM
I played WoW until I reached lvl 57 then dropped out. I'm a fan of consoles RPGs and yet liked this new type of RPG (to me it was new, the only other PC game I have is Battlefield 2), until I felt like I was no longer playing in an RPG but instead doing a chore. I was no longer exploring and making my character progress, instead I was spending most of my time completing extremely boring quests that functionned in the exact same way as the first few quest I had to go through under lvl 20. I would also waste a lot of time with trying to make money at the AH or grinding alone to finish some other quest or make my character's leatherworking go up, which was rather pointless anyway. It would have been worst once at lvl 60.

Basically, it didn't feel like playing an RPG at all at this point, it felt like a second job, and hence it wasn't fun at all. No more exploration, and I didn't care about the story one bit anyway (I would just read the summary of the quests or look for how to complete them on thothbot).

Chances are, I'll sign up for some other MMO sooner or later, until once again I went
through most of it and reach the same point I did with WoW.

kOsMos3D
09-10-2006, 03:02 PM
I used to be hooked on Warcraft 2 BNE about 9 years ago. But I was a teenager and it was fun. I donít play games any more or barely watch TV, I rather do something productive and practical with my time. For my entertainment I workout, play sports, go swimming, biking. and I read alot. Muahahaha. 2 years ago I used to be 200LB's and I am 6 feet tall so it was quite a lot. One day I was working on some 3D but I noticed I had no energy and I felt always bored and weak, so I got so fed up that day that I turned off the computer and went to sign up to a gym for 2 years and was addicted to body building since, 4-6 times / week! Now I am 160LBS and I have a ribbed/lean body, I have energy, I am fast, I look better, I can do chin ups and I can walk on my hands! Muahahahah. :buttrock:

I think if you donít abuse your 3D, gaming and television and are active then you got it under control. But if you're spending several hours playing games or watching television and donít do any sports or exercise then you need to do something, fast!

mlykke
09-11-2006, 10:24 AM

No offence.. but I'm so sick of these rumors that "x number of people from project y left blizzard". Ofcause people will change job here and there. But these rumor posts make it sound like 50 people left. It takes alot of people making a game like WoW, and if most of the original people infact did leave I pretty sure Blizzard wouldn't have been able to make all these patches with alot of content, if they at the same time were battling with getting alot of new people settled taking over a project from which all the old core people left.

If you are one of these ex-blizzard people and actually know first hand do tell (but I guess NDA/common sense will mean you wont tell), if not please don't be part of the rumor mill.

CGTalk Moderation
09-11-2006, 10:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.