PDA

View Full Version : The curse of the modeller

diazgl
03-17-2002, 07:29 PM
Ok, i need some advice. I have been into 3d for some years now, but I can't say that my skills are very good. I can't seem to model anything unless I have a drawing of it. I can draw, but since my drawing skills are not good either, i can only draw from one side )e.g. sideview) and cannot proceed to another view which is vital for me to build a model. What I need you to tell me, is, should I give it up (graphics is just a hobby for me) or, do you have any solution to either one of my problems? I mean, there has GOT to be people like me out there who got over this!

jereader
03-18-2002, 01:41 AM
Just keep working at the modelling part of things. Study up on your techniques such as subdiv surfaces, poly modelling, spline patching, etc. Find one that seems to work for you and stick to it.
I started out modelling exclusively with polys about a year ago, and as i worked and learned more, my work got better. Now i work mostly with subdiv surfaces, but different methods work well in different situations. Don't be afraid to ask people questions either. This forum is great for that.

DragomanJK
03-18-2002, 02:05 AM
I suck at drawing, I used to horribly suck- I'm getting better. If you are planning to work at a huge Fx department, (i.e. ILM), there are people that do drawing, and people that do modeling; you don't don't cross paths much... I've heard. There are some other forums- Sijun and TeamGT, that are great for drawing.

diazgl
03-18-2002, 05:05 PM
thanks, i will look up into these, maybe borrow some drawings and experimentate.

frank
03-18-2002, 07:51 PM
If your technical skills suck in cg I would say key doing cg modelling. But if you think your weakness is more the artistic side, I would suggest to work on that side.

I'm a modeller in a good FX house and my drawing and sculpting projects allow me to increase my skills as a CG modeller.

I think you should take some clay sculpting and life drawing classes. It really does a difference. The more you draw, the better are your sculptures and the more your sculpt the better are your drawings.

just my opinion

-F

diazgl
03-18-2002, 08:23 PM
heheh, i liked the last part. Well, i will definately get some classes as such...when I go to university that is. I've tried to make human drawings, but most of them failed. I only do the body, never the head..hehe. Well, there is one i'd like to show ya, i'll do that tomorrow, cos I have no scanner. till then

vizion
03-20-2002, 08:49 PM
Let's see some of ur drawings or 3d models..i can give u a much better response with some reference material in front...

lowlight
03-20-2002, 10:41 PM
Very true. Post away, Diazgl

lossy
04-11-2002, 09:02 AM
There is a secret that many artists use: visual aides. Photographs and real life studies are essential tools for most artists. The really talented ones who can draw from their mind's eye are admired by me, as I can usually only draw well with something in front of me (or else a whole heck of a lot of erasing and starting over.)

Don't be afraid to use photographs. Get a digital cam and explore. Suscribe to National Geographic. Have fun :)

transfer the images as bitmaps into your scene and work off those.

gnarlycranium
04-14-2002, 01:33 PM
I have passable drawing skills, but when I started trying to model everything came out looking FUNKY. What's helped me the most is picking up free meshes done by other people, and taking a really good hard close look at them. One of my primary tactics is to bring in such a model, make it see-through, freeze it, (this is MAX talk, but you get the idea), and then build my own object inside it or next to it, so I know I have the general proportions right, something for comparison is a massive help. It feels sorta like tracing, which is cheating, but if you can focus on using the other object as a guide, rather than copying it, it's a quick way of getting a feel for what you're doing. Once you -understand- and can picture in your brain how the side view ties into the front view, rather than just mimicking it, you'll have it down. Maybe you've already tried this, but it's all I can think of.

diazgl
04-14-2002, 05:23 PM
hmm, thanks for all the replies. Well, what I tried to do was well, get some reference photos. I had my friend draw something and I tried to model something from some photos i got me at eskeleton.com

diazgl
04-14-2002, 05:25 PM
and this one. They're both a little sloppy, and unfinished, but it's better than anything i've done without reference....well almost..i think

lossy
04-15-2002, 12:36 AM
Lookin' good! Don't give up, It looks like you've definately got potential!

henry
04-17-2002, 12:12 AM
yay..... an den peis to onoma!! wow! mou enna se :) dero !! DERO!!

keep up the good work!

diazgl
04-17-2002, 11:43 PM
......ok, since henry will be bugging me for a long time, he did the drawing for me, the leg, and might I add that, THERE IS NO PRAISE to be given, since till now, he's only done the leg, and I'm still waiting for the rests of the body, as well as STILL waiting for a Raziel/Angel drawing he was gonna do for the Gods and Demons Contest for me to model..........

there you go henry, happy?

BTW, what'd you think about a Raziel/Angel pic? Like with wings, a huge sword, cloths that float onto him, angelic face and all.....?

henry
04-18-2002, 12:53 AM
as far as i can recall my friend, i DID draw something for that angel thing, but it wasn't good enough for you, noooooooo, you wanted something that would look sorta like you but with a more rounded face.... yea.........that makes so much sense huh....

oh well
you suck

fxjeane
04-26-2002, 01:09 AM
Working with images as templates in very acceptable. Actually a lot of mayor FX houses do it this way. Use template images and keep on practicing . It takes years before you are able to look at a picture of an object and then model it

refining your tradicional art skill is a big plus. it will help you in many ways. It will specially teach you to OBSERVE things a lot better

cheers

Fxjeane

Marcel
05-02-2002, 12:30 AM
Really, you do not have a problem at all.

First of all, people who design things (industrial designers) study for years to be able to do that. It's a real art. You can't push yourself to become a great designer overnight.

And why would it be bad to use reference material? It's the first thing I do when I start a new project, get as much reference as I can get. I love reference!

Marcel

diazgl
05-02-2002, 01:20 AM
thanks. I guess i just figured using foreign reference (especially for art, eg the bot leg henry drew and I made in 3D) was like cheating.

windarr
05-08-2002, 06:57 PM
If you're having difficulty drawing your own concepts, the only thing I can say is practice, practice, practice. If you aren't already enrolled in a figure drawing class, enroll yourself. Draw everyday, draw people (nude studies will do a lot of good for you), pay attention to form, detail, shadow, everything. Study what you're drawing, and after enough practice you'll have all the details burned into your mind. I think you should focus more on that than on the computer though. Because just think about how long it takes to model one character...It could take hours it could take days. And yet it will only take you half an hour tops, to do a fantastically detailed sketch on paper of a figure in front of you. So obviously you'll have a chance to get more experience that way.

Good luck.:)

Kameel
10-11-2004, 06:28 PM
Diazgl, thanks for starting this thread. Lastnight, I started a thread almost identical to yours, before I read your thread. My thread was curse of failure, furstrated modeller! This is spooky. I'm glad to know that it's not just me, because I to, have been modelling for 3yr., and don't feel like I'm any good. I know terminology, and method, but I still haven't completed a model to this date. I guess my expectaions are too high. But, once again, thanks for starting this thread,and check out how close my thread is to yours, and I hadn't even seen your thread yet.Peace.

Test.
10-14-2004, 10:02 PM
I think the most important aspect to modelling is your understanding of form. It's difficult enough to draw/project objects in 2D, let alone model them from every angle in 3D. I think what will help you increase your skills the most rapidly is furthering your ability to comprehend form, similar to how windarr said. I think what you should practice doing, is drawing and sketching objects from every angle, all the time. I found that after I spent about 2 weeks studying anatomy, not only did my traditional/drawing skills get better, but my 3D modelling got much much better as well as I knew exactly where to place form on my models.

Best Regards,
Joseph

mnp
10-15-2004, 01:03 AM
try what I have done,

For my current project I done some side refernce drawings (front was too hard for some reason) and then I got some clay and made it up in clay (took about 3-4 hours (first attempt at it)) I got to look like how i want it in 3D then walla full accurate refernce images (with the help of a digi camera of course.

I think im going to do every project like thins now :D

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.