PDA

View Full Version : Crash at startup

timur04
09-07-2006, 02:28 PM
When I start XSI it asks if I want to recover my project form the last time. No matter if I hit yes / no it crashes. I already tried to reinstall XSI but it seems that I have to delete some corrupt project folder. Does anyone know what to do?

JDex
09-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Delete the user folder. By default it is at c:\users\[your username]\

May want to just move it to another location so that you can grab custom layouts, keymappings or toolbars/shelf after you sort it out.

timur04
09-07-2006, 03:09 PM
Oh man this sucks, I deleted the Users folder and reinstall XSI and STILL i get the same crash!

JDex
09-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Do you use a registry cleaner?

leigh
09-07-2006, 04:43 PM
That's bizarre. What version of XSI are you using, and have you tried contacting tech support?

timur04
09-07-2006, 07:02 PM
I'm using xsi 5.0
No, i dont use a reg cleaner. If I keep rebooting the cpu then xsi works sometimes, but I'm sure the problem will come back. The best fix would be to reinstall windows i guess.

leigh
09-07-2006, 08:05 PM
If, after cleaning the registry, it's still not working, then I would recommend contacting Softimage tech support. What's the point in buying a piece of software if you can't even load it? I am sure they'll be happy to help you out.

Nakary
09-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Hello, I am in no way an expert in XSI, but I had the same experience as you. I think the problem resides on the file, sometimes when I choose NO to the recovery command, it would give me a clean screen to which I could load any other file, but not the one with wich XSI crashed, When I chose YES, sometimes it didn`t recover anything and XSI would turn off automaticaly.

I always foudn this annoying, but I though I was having this problem because I am running XSI in a MAC computer.

The only solution to recover this file was to open another instance of XSI, and merge the corrupted file to a new scene, and then save with another name.

This has worked the two times I has to do this, and I hope it works for you too, it would be nice if we keep this updated with possible answers form the guys at Softimage ...

Thanks.

Richard Jr.

T4D
09-08-2006, 12:07 AM
Call tech support Avid has the best Support out there

Story,,sort Off topic But sort of relative =)

I had a XSI dongle Die early this year, I posted XSIbase asking if there's a way to test the dongle..

with 30 mins i got a email from Avid support,
I replied and 10 mins later He PHONE ME !! FROM Montreal to Australia ( it was 1 am Oz timefine by me = )

run some tests, posted the dongle, i was up and running again in 3 days
Dongle suck YES, but Avid support is TOPS :bounce: Call them :thumbsup: .. or they may call you :D

luceric
09-08-2006, 01:22 AM
Don't use a registry cleaner

These utilities always end up deleting all the Softimage keys because they think they are invalid. Nothing in the registry can make XSI crash.

Only opengl and a bad install of quicktime can really make XSI crash at startup. Try de-installing quicktime first to rule that out.

JDex
09-08-2006, 02:25 AM
Oooh... sorry about that. I thought I had finished my thought and typed

DON'T!

or something along those lines at the end of my previous post. Basically what Luc Eric said.

AnonyMouse
09-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Just an idea - try to turn off all applications you can without crashing the system. I had similar problem with other application about a month and even we tried to change the hardware, replacing RAM and reinstalling windows and so on until I found a little application for minimasing programs to the system tray - I forgot about it and never could suppose it can make this...

Felipe
09-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Only opengl and a bad install of quicktime can really make XSI crash at startup. Try de-installing quicktime first to rule that out.

I'm still having issues with quicktime 7 and XSI, whenever I try to install QT7, XSI crashes on start up. If I downgrade QT to 6.5.2 I have no problems.

If someone knows how to fix that, please let me know....thanks!

Felipe

Sbowling
09-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Here's an off the wall idea. Download and run spyware doctor. There are tons of spyware/trojan programs that can sneak into your computer and can cause all kinds of problems like this. It may not be the problem, but it is possible.

Sbowling
09-08-2006, 10:13 PM
I'm still having issues with quicktime 7 and XSI, whenever I try to install QT7, XSI crashes on start up. If I downgrade QT to 6.5.2 I have no problems.

If someone knows how to fix that, please let me know....thanks!

Felipe

Download and install quicktime alternative instead of quicktime. It not only seems to work great with XSI, but you're not stuck in the crappy quicktime player and can use whatever media player you wish to view quicktime movies.

JDex
09-08-2006, 10:22 PM
Just for the record... I've yet to see the QT7 issue using the iTunes/QT7 combo on several XPpro machines. I had a problem w/ QT7 itself on one of the machines, but after a system wipe (because it was due) that problem worked itself out.

Felipe
09-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Download and install quicktime alternative instead of quicktime. It not only seems to work great with XSI, but you're not stuck in the crappy quicktime player and can use whatever media player you wish to view quicktime movies.

Thanks SBowling

I have tried it. It seems to work fine with XSI, but I couldn't generate any .mov files from After Effects anymore since it can't co-exist with QT and it seems to be a player only option. Even just for playing it couldn't play some movies from Modo content while QT7 play them.

Cheers

CGTalk Moderation
09-11-2006, 01:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.