PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard Contest - Starcraft Env.

jfalconer
09-06-2006, 08:22 PM
Hi guys, thought I'd enter the contest too. Doubt I'll have a chance but worth a go. Started on this yesterday, its based on a concept from Starcraft Ghost which unfortunately never materialized - I thought it looked really cool!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/jfalconer/starcraft_wip.jpg

I still have about 1000 polys to spare, so I'll probably add more details to the ground and far background, the rest will hopefully be done in texture with standard color, spec, normals...

living_the_dream
09-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Hey, looking great so far. That's good progress for the first day. I've already spent several nights staying up entirely too late on mine :eek: I really like that concept you selected. What will be exiting is seeing the detail you can add in a textured 3d model. Are you planning on modelling some of that debris/damage/weathering? Some of it should certainly be done with texturing, but a little might be nice as modelled detail. More particularly speaking the metal grating looks like it should be modelled, and the whole that's in it and some of the larger craters on the terrain.
I think it's a great start, keep it up and get it submitted :thumbsup:

jfalconer
09-07-2006, 06:02 PM
thanks for the reply living. Here's day two, day three I did some normal mapping on the ground plane but I think I'm going to redo it again, then normal map some damage onto the fortress itself. Still under the poly limit by a couple hundred so I will probably add some details to the guns later, which I plan on finishing up last...

There's some weird stretching on the side of the dividers that I need to clean up still, and I plan on adding some damage to the front grating as per the concept....

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/jfalconer/starcraft_wip3.jpg

Matroskin
09-07-2006, 07:23 PM
nice progress ;)
I think that would look good with more monochrome colors - like a concept. I undrstand that it is drawn and not colorised, but anyways it looks cool exactly like being bluish and not rich in colors.

That render includes ur almost final lightning setup, or just temporary one?
Also I strongly suggest that u replace ur image of space - i think it is too violet and does not contribute to SC style. Anyways, those r only my thoughts;)

Good work.

jfalconer
09-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Hey Deryk, thanks for your crits.

I agree about the clouds in the background, they are just temporary, they will look better in the final version.

As for the lighting, I'm still trying to figure out how to light it best. I want to go with something functional, like searchlights off the fortress or something, but I haven't decided. I may just go with this set up, what do you think?

jfalconer
09-08-2006, 11:01 PM
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c113/jfalconer/starcraft_wip4.jpg
normal-mapped ground plane and a new lighting set-up, let me know what you think of it!

TychoCelchuuu
09-08-2006, 11:11 PM
I like the lights. The sky needs work but I assume it's still temporary.

Matroskin
09-09-2006, 02:44 AM
yes, looks good. But one suggestion ;)

Now it seems that light comes from behind the screen, like if there was a huge source of light. But since guns r facing same direction (for deffence purposes probably) I assume that there is nothing beside empty ground. So it seems a bit unlogical.
What I suggest is to make light sources attached to ur architecture. Or just place ur lights as if the real lightsources were hidden somewhere between parts of architecture, so u will not need to model them.
Anyways, lights should be placed in a manner that u can always explain ur lightning. that will be much more realistic.
keep up good work

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2006, 02:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.