PDA

View Full Version : Challenge: Acting

dudeacle
09-06-2006, 06:09 PM
I would like to see these challenges related to acting. That's what the art of animation is all about. Each week there will be an assigned emotion or a description of an event. Since these are mini challenges weekly events are more appealing than monthly. Or if weekly is too difficult than by-weekly, we can see where everyone is at the end of the week. Having your character hit a few key poses that perfectly describe the topic is what im looking for. This is a great way to flex your animation muscles.

Here's a couple challenge ideas;

Child gets a new toy.

Paranoid thief.

Chef cooks bad meat.

med21
09-10-2006, 03:36 AM
:thumbsup: good idea

Junerahe
09-11-2006, 08:06 PM
All we need now is a format and a moderator to get things going..... :p this place is one of the more neglected sections of CGTalk unfortunately.. we might have to wait a while...

Vood
09-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Yeah. What's with that? :curious:

I seem to remember this place being pretty happenin' .. with lots of people participating in weekly challenges etc ...

btw dudeacle, i'm totally in if this thing gets rolling :)

dudeacle
09-12-2006, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the support everyone :thumbsup:

These challenges will be a lot of fun and inspirational. Since they will be one to two week deadlines it will be hard to get caught up in any one animation. So if your unhappy with your animation by the end of the challenge, learn from it and start the next one.

I started animating child gets a new toy and paranoid theif. I will post my progress tomorrow. By all means those topics are not the challenge, i just wanted to get started. So please post your topic ideas and we will vote on which one gets picked.

Im animating with no props or scenes. Modeling is far from animating, so if you have props already modeled then use them but dont bother trying to model something from scratch.
If you need a rig then head over to Andrew Silkes web page and down load Generi Rig. Hes an awsome rig and its free! Heres the link...

http://www.andrewsilke.com/generi_rig/generi_rig.html

I have never done challenges here so i dont know how to get this rolling. Vood and Junerahe do you know how to make this official? You seem to have done a few of these so i figure id ask.

keep on keep'n on

SAN-X
09-12-2006, 07:30 AM
Very interesting!
I'd like to try my strength in this chelenges!

As a suggestions...
- the first: i think, it wood be a good thing to name an axact deadline in the first topic.
- and the second: as we have only one thread for one challenge, i propose every competitor to make only one post for his work (starting with WIP and enlarging the post with intermediate stages and with the final work); otherwise it may become like a dump, i think... (or maybe its able to create a subforum for every new challenge and everyone may have a personal thread?)
And if you'll find this suggestion acceptable, or if you'll find a better way how to organize it - i propose to place this term in the first topic as well.

Anyway, i'll take a part with the pleasure (i only hope i'll find a time -))))).

Vood
09-13-2006, 03:06 PM
oooo this is gettin hot :)

dudeacle, actually I haven't ever participated in a challenge :p only observed past ones.

but maybe we can get Oritz or Sheep to tell us what to do .. (or whoever mods this forum :p )

As for challenge ideas: I figure most people (especially guys) just use a man's behavior when they're animating, but it could be quite a different challenge to animate a woman performing the same action.

here are some concepts that could be done for each a man and a woman:
-gets stomped or shot in the foot
-sees attractive person, does a double take
-loses at roulette
-given bouquet of flowers
-their baby stroller rolls away too quickly to chase
-clothes are torn off (like in cartoons, they have to cover themselves in that funny pose)

dudeacle
09-13-2006, 03:27 PM
That sounds like a great way to organize it SAN-X. We can post our WIP and then keep adding progress by editing the post. We should post a new thread for each challenge instead of adding to this one. The thread should be titled with the deadline so there is no confusion.

These should be two week deadlines. If we find its too much time then we can cut back to one week or 10 days or whatever is best. We should start the first challenge this Friday 9/15/06 and deadline can be 10/1/06. So we need to decide on a topic by then. Then the next challenge will also start on 10/1/06 and end on 10/15/06. We should all vote on a topic and we will tally up the votes Friday at midnight. Vood posted some great topic ideas, i have also posted some.

If you have topic ideas get them posted so there is enough time to vote on them.
I cant wait to get going on this! :)

Junerahe
09-13-2006, 03:44 PM
I am the moderator for the Micro Animation Challenge s at www.Happysack.org (http://forums.cgsociety.org/www.Happysack.org) where weekly and bi-weekly challenges run. They are small challenges (never more than 3 seconds) and cater to beginners and professionals alike. Yes I am selling my product, and yes, you should definitely check it out, you will most likely find it worth registering. We are a rather small group for now because the challenges are just over a month old, but we're a growing breed.

Vood
09-13-2006, 08:06 PM
I'm thrilled to start on Friday! :bounce:

My vote is either "child gets a new toy" or "clothes are torn off" ... i can visualize each one pretty well in my head right off the bat heheh...

dudeacle
09-13-2006, 09:06 PM
I vote for "child gets a new toy". (because i already started it, heh) If it becomes the challenge i will make myself have a deadline one week earlier so its fair.

Nice plug Junerahe, i am heading over to happysack.org right now and checking it out.

SAN-X
09-14-2006, 04:56 AM
i like the "paranoid thief"... it should be funny -))))
so thats my vote.

Vood
09-15-2006, 03:02 PM
hmm we should probably narrow it down to 2 options since we have so few people to vote, just for the sake of forcing a majority (like best out of 3 votes, hahahah)

dudeacle why don't you pick the topics... and keep the others in a text file for next time or something :)

dudeacle
09-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Thank you for the vote of confidence Vood :)

I will have to pick the two easier ones, "paranoid theif" and "child gets a new toy".

"clothes torn off" would be alot of fun to animate to but it would be hard to do without actualy tearing the clothes off your character and that would take alot of time. Unless there are suggestions of how to do it without using cloth simulation.

I will save all the topic ideas in a text file as Vood suggests. We can always refer to them in this thread if need be.

blurgh
09-15-2006, 07:22 PM
yay ! im in ! :D

hmm perhaps a new thread with the rules outlined properly? expected length and such

anyway im voting for the theif idea !

derekserra
09-16-2006, 05:20 AM
I just came across this thread and thought I would throw my 2 cents in. This is one way I see this continuing challenge working:

First, start making a list of ideas. Put them in the order they were mentioned. Here's what I've seen so far -

child gets new toy
paranoid theif
chef cooks bad meat
gets stomped or shot in the foot
sees attractive person, does a double take
loses at roulette
given bouquet of flowers
their baby stroller rolls away too quickly to chase
clothes are torn off

Create a thread that covers general rules, this list, and suggestions for topics. (The list can be constantly updated there). Also on this thread will be links to the challenge threads.

One new thread for each challenge. I like the idea of editing your post with updates. Also, putting the deadline in the title is an good idea.

After the challenge is finished, there can be vote on who did the best job. Maybe limit the voters to only the people who participated. Once a winner is chosen, that winner gets to pick the topic and time frame for the next challenge (1 week or 2 weeks). If the topic isn't chosen within 24 hours, the first item from the above list is what is used for a 1-week challenge. That would keep things rolling.

It sounds like a fun time!

Nerf

CGTalk Moderation
09-16-2006, 05:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.