PDA

View Full Version : re: FluidShape's bells and whistles

darktding
09-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Reading from a couple of threads on this forum I have some questions re getting data (specifically fluid opacities) from the fluid shape node that I didn't find any answers to so I am asking them here.

a) From what I have seen the fluidshape node is both a shader and a fluidshape all wrapped into one. In the api the MFnFluid class has a falloff function which is supposed to provide me the opacity at the grid value I ask of it... but all I get back are 0's. It says it retrieves the values from what the static grid but what about the dynamic grid?
b) Under the fluidShape->shading->opacity, theres a wonderful ramp... anyone knows how to query that ramp?
c) When I change stuff in that opacity tab, the opengl feedback I get makes me to think it actually changes the density, temperature, etc grid values... but it doesn't. Anyone knows whats the calculations are going on so that I can use that to put for my own use.
d) is there a magic node I need to connect to this fluid box (something like the particle sampler info node ) that will solve all these problems so that I can query it in my plugin?

Thanks in advance

darktding
09-09-2006, 05:26 PM
sorry to bump this thread but anyways since I never got any replies, I thought of answering some of the questions I asked so that someone else might find them usefull

I realize now that the opactiy ramp is simply an array values under a coupound opacity attribute. It took me a while to realize that and it becomes very evident when one looks under the connection editor... So I have managed to get opacity from the ramp without doing any crazy gradient mel scripting (*whew*)
The same goes for incandescense and any other attributes that have ramps... every new knot added is actually a compound attribute.

Hope it helps

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2006, 05:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.