PDA

View Full Version : ZB to XSI expoding mesh

spj
09-06-2006, 02:37 PM
Hi,
I've been following along the XSI to ZB displacement guide pdf by Greg Punchatz.
I've managed to get good working results in the past, but this time I'm getting terrible results. As you can see from the image below its not pretty.
I've played around with settings under the geometry approximation as well as the material itself.(I should point out I'm new to XSI, particularly the texturing side of things)
The model is exported straight from ZB and I recorded and used the alpha depth factor from ZB.
I've tried replacing the red "R16" image exported from ZB, with the straight Black and White displacement. The results are a lot better but still not great. I may end up trying to get this map working instead, but I'd rather know what I'm doing wrong.
Do people tend to use the "R16" displacement maps instead of the BW displacements in XSI?
Does the "R16" image carry more information than the regular BW displacements and will this mean better quality from XSI? (seeing as the file is 3x bigger)
Another issue that may have caused problems is that the ZB model itself had one of those annoying stray points(you know the ones that shot out miles from the model) I've fixed that problem but I wonder if that is still causing problems some how.
Any help would be much appreiciated.
Cheers,
Sam

http://www.MyOnlineImages.com/Members/SPJ/images/XSI_ZB_issue.jpg (http://www.MyOnlineImages.com)

LemonNado
09-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Did you flip the texture? And R16 has empty G16 and B16 channels attached for your memory wasting pleasure. If you wish to be thorough... add an empty alpha channel!
Rainer

spj
09-07-2006, 01:36 AM
Thanks for your reply!
I don't think flipping the image was the problem.(I've made that mistake too many times before)
I tried adding an alpha channel but the results were the same. I decided to swap out the R16 image with a straight BW one and I'm starting to get good results, so I think it might be easiest if I go with that method.
One thing I did have to do to get the BW image working was swap the V image under Texture-Advanced-Alternate, although this didn't help the R16 image.
Cheers,
Sam

LemonNado
09-07-2006, 02:03 PM
NP. And I have to appologize.... I was being cynic by recommending the alpha channel and hope you did not spend much time on including it. I was refering to the idiotic waste of space if you use a RBG image to relay grey scale based information which only requires a single chanel. If it would be a highres normal map it would be a different matter, but this is just a highres bump map.... You did the right thing!
Cheers
Rainer

mikas
09-10-2006, 07:20 AM
I think that problem in too small scale of your object. Try to increase scale(maybe 2 or 3 times), freeze scale. Use fine aproximation, Lenghth edge-0,5, View dep is on, and deph of DispMap is 32bit per pixel.

CGTalk Moderation
09-10-2006, 07:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.