PDA

View Full Version : Gimbal rotation help needed..

pete
01-28-2003, 03:43 AM
Hi there,

I'm setting up a character at the moment and I am trying to make sure I can use "gimbal" mode to rotate the hands and feet.

In the picture I have added you can see the affect I'm getting from 1, to 2. I can fix this by changing the rotation order From or XYZ, but I was wondering if there was a way to reset the gimbal rotaions so that they think this is their 0,0,0 or starting rotation...

I sort of got this affect in 3. by linking it to another box and moving that one instead but I don't really want to add to much clutter to the scene if it's not nessesary....

Please help me, or I fear my brain will explode.

thanks - pete

ragtag
01-28-2003, 01:28 PM
Firstly, you should get familiar with the Rotate Order. That way you can put the gimbal lock in the least likely pose. Then if you're not doing translations with the same handle, you can add groups above and/or below the hand control. You can then use the pick walk up/down function (arrow keys) to select these and rotate. It's clutter, but it's invisible clutter.

That's about it. The global/local rotate tools inbetween incorrectly when using Euler when animating (mathematically correctly, but not what you want). And I think the quaternion rotations are still only linear or buggy overshooting splines, with little control over ease in and out. I.e. nice to have on the feature list, but useless.

Ragnar

bentllama
01-31-2003, 04:43 AM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39515

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.