PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Justify the Use of F*lters?

singularity2006
01-28-2003, 04:39 AM
For the design community at large, the use of f*lters is taboo. But is there ANY case whatsoever, little or small, that the use of ANY f*lter can be justified?

http://instillstudios.yoshi8me.com/gallery/fullsize/067.jpg

F*lters used in that pic obviously. So what is so necessarily and inherently wrong with their use other than the given:

they are a cheap way of doing things the traditional way
design isn't about filtering, it's about minimalistic design composition
they are tabo0
they make us lazy people... just like calculators

etc etc etc...

VestanPance
01-28-2003, 06:08 AM
To me it's a couple things:

1. Are you a starving artist or do you want to make some money? Most times quick-and-dirty pays the bills.

2. Are you doing things to be "pure" or are you just creating art for arts sake? This is so funny to me cause all of digital art was, and still may be, considered to be "unpure" by "holier-than-thou" artists. To some people, not using a brush, pen, or chisel is blasphmemous. Does that stop me from loving and creating 3D...nope. Is it easier than doing it by hand...probably...but who cares? I don't.

TMortan
01-28-2003, 06:17 AM
Good #2 VestanPance

I use filters all the time, in combinations, to ad the piece not to have them make it.

Got to love that Gaussian blur

singularity2006
01-28-2003, 06:23 AM
*Gasp* I've blasphemed and Frank Lloyd Wright is gonna come back and strangle me in my dreams... >.<

but yah, I've seen disgusting cases where filters were overused and scared me. But others... nicely...

tchook
01-28-2003, 08:06 AM
filters are tools like pencil or the airbrush.
it would be stupid not using it.
Like "i m-working-in-ps-on-a-single-layer-without-pressing-ctrlZ"
or not saving your work

it s the way you are using it that matters

but i ve seen a lot of people using filters very badly in a"yes-yes-next-next
-render" kind of way.

filters are like an alchemy recipe it takes time an effort to find a good mix

frog
01-28-2003, 10:08 AM
there's nothing wrong with using filters if they get the job done. Some of them, such as Gaussian Blur mentioned above, are very useful indeed.

The problem is not with filters per se, it is with cliches. They're the things you want to avoid :)

erikals
01-28-2003, 10:17 AM
That's not a problem,

When you have to do things fast, they are great/ unavoidable. But if you want to create "art", you might won't use any of them.

Pict to the left used a bevel/emboss effect.
(pict to the right shows the selection. After selection was done, I use that selection to right click on the pict and choose "copy to layer", then add the bevel/emboss effect. Makes great sand texture)

Erik

JackaL(px)
01-28-2003, 10:20 AM
I personally dont see what is wrong with filters. they are there for a reason why ignore them at make yourself at a disadvantage and have to do things 'long hand'.

:bounce:

erikals
01-28-2003, 11:12 AM
There is one thing that bothers me though. Sometimes PhotoShop doesn't merge the layer-effects correct. For example, sometimes the shadow-strenght will increase after merging layers. I think it's because of the "preview-layer-affects" mode that's not accurate in PhotoShop. Usually it doesn't matter, but sometimes it can create problems, even though the changes are minimal.

Erik

legadan
01-28-2003, 02:07 PM
filters are good only if one can't tell that one has been used. In most cases filters are enemy #1 IMHO.

dg
01-29-2003, 02:44 AM
I don't have any problem with filters, but to achieve some good results you must blend them with others filters and tradidional technics.

For example, you want to create a depth of field effect, for that the easiest way is to use some gblur and masks to create the levels of the dof.

PS is great!
Buy a tablet and he will be even greater ;-)

See Ya!

JoeSchmo
01-29-2003, 04:08 AM
I dont find any problem with filters
just another tool used in the design
process.
its the overall design that's the art.

many traditional artist still consider the use of a
computer taboo.

piajartist
01-30-2003, 05:34 AM
I can....no wait....f**k nevermind. Its just a quick and easy way to have some fun without effort wouldnt recommend it as a profesional.

Akuma
01-30-2003, 06:08 AM
filters... ummm cant say i use them.. all i use are layer effects. Or did i miss something?

VestanPance
01-30-2003, 06:16 AM
You know, Gausian Blur is the only one I use....how do you replace that one?

singularity2006
01-30-2003, 06:26 AM
lol yeah, i was about to say that too... this one designer doode said he curses any and all filters... but if u really look @ it, a lot of stuff is "filtered" because that's what they do. They take pixel data, filter it, and deliver output. Isn't that wut's going on with blurring, drop shadowing, and other layer FX? And what does that say about 3D CG? ... *shivers*...hehehehh :shrug:

blankslatejoe
01-30-2003, 07:03 PM
A teacher once said to me, 'you can judge someone's skill with photoshop based on how they use filters.' Since filters are just math based functions, you can use them to achieve results unparalleled by the hand, but unless your good the results are predictable, jaded and boring.

====================================
The teacher described filters in three leves:
1:beginner: filters = sexy, hip and sleek. They can spherize a face
or make clouds and swirl an image. At this stage, they're tacky but the artist doesn't realize it.

2:moderate: filters are cheap and tacky. An ultra anti-realization of filters goes on, and the artist will avoid any use whatsoever. Photoshop becomes about the adjustment affects, channels, masking, etc.

3:advanced: artist rediscovers filters, but uses them very carefully. Filters become tools that become hidden through adjustments. The smallest blurs, the most arcane combinations, the tiniest noise in the smallest selections. I'm not sure, but I think most texture artists may fit in here somewhere. They use filters to back up their actual grunge maps and paintings.

4:master level: artist writes his/her own filters for whatever they need them for.
=====================================

I don't know if I agree with all of that, but thats what the teacher said at least. According to that, I'm somwhere right above moderate then.

It kinda makes sense though, it translates sorta to 3d (with procedural textures). A really really good texture usually isn't procedural unless it's been handcoded, like pixar ones. But heck, those ones are pretty close to perfect.

wow this is long...

DannyB
01-31-2003, 12:01 AM
Combinations are the way to go, thats why actions are so good. Although I would only use filters very sparingly. Noise(invaluable), motion blur, unsharp mask(invaluable), radial blurs pretty good for the zoom effect, maximum and minimum are great, KPT 6 lens flare used delicately works for me also lighting effects can be handy.

Hmm though most filters are truly unusable.

The worst situation is when you get a lores concept to comp up in hires and the designer has not told anyone, and or forgotten how certain 'effects' were created.

Eye candy wasnt bad, is it still going?

singularity2006
01-31-2003, 12:56 AM
Yah, i totally agree w/ what that teacher said. And eye candy? I got bored of that really fast because it looked waaaay tooooo filtery... stuff like the firy text and all that jive... though it was cool when I was level 1. I'm like, i dunno. Based on my first post w/ that picture of that h0t korean pop star chick, what am i?

Beginner
Intermediate
Advanced

Give it a scale of 1-10 with 1 being beginner and 10 being advanced.

gmask
01-31-2003, 01:01 AM
When I first got into broadcast dsing ten years ago you could easily impress just about anyone if you could run a series of images through a PS filter. These days it is mor eabout motion, color and shape than about fitlers. If you are trying to create natural phenomenon then filters are essential for animation.

I think that if your viewer or client is at all knowledgble about what can be done and they are paying for design work then they will know the difference between a filter effect and real design work. Otherwise if somebody jus twants a wow factor and they ar ento too particular then fitlers are fine. For your porfolio I think you should stay away from anythign that says preset.

DannyB
01-31-2003, 02:12 AM
OK before I go any further let me just clear up about Eyecandy, I found the glass effect quite good, if applied at different angles to 4 or 5 rendered black type layers and then set to 'screen' over a base type layer. This to create a subtle shiny happy bubbly text feel. I used it on a poster title style for a kids film called 'Giraffe' and it worked well, it was a quick way to create an individual and bold title style. It was a tight deadline and it got me out of trouble
All the other features were pretty pants if I remember. The fur one being particular nasty.

On rating your image it's difficult because the image just doesnt really say anything to me and the colour pencil effect wrecks the image of the girl. It just doesnt look drawn.

You know how to use layers and blur filters but theres no real concept behind it. Some noise at least would be nice. If you want a painterly effect, paint a rough brush wash and scan the thing in its more 'organic'. You can never replace the feel of something handpainted or roughed up in the real world.

Its like if you want really messed up/weatherd text, you'd print the text out. Fax it to your self on a shoddy machine, scan it back in and use that as your base layer. Or scratchboard, great for text that looks as if written by a psycho.

I would rate you as a three and a half.

singularity2006
01-31-2003, 02:58 AM
lol damn... I guess that's why i lost that last contract job... >.<

blankslatejoe
01-31-2003, 05:05 AM
but dont fret man. While I wouldn't rate that particular picture not too highly either (id agree with dannyb 3.5, 4 or so), I checked out yer site really quick and I can see a few tricks that mean you know more than your average joe.

I may be a design dummy, but I can tell you've got a good flourishy sense of opacity, and you seem to have control over layers to create interesting overlaps. Your site uses a lot tricks (glassy bubbles, scanlines) but behind all that, its still pretty intuitive and easy on the eyes. I can tell you have some skill going on. Keep it up, and you'll be amazed at how quickly youll learn!

oh, and thanks for optimizing your images. It really saves time for a 56k-er like me. You'd be suprised how many people will have 30 kb thumbnails...

singularity2006
01-31-2003, 07:26 AM
:beer: thanks for the commentary. Actually, that work on my site is over 2 years old. I've stopped doing photoshop at all lately. The pic u see on this post is my latest piece in a series of three or four images of the same korean chick. And my thing with the pencil sketch fading into the original picture is based upon my ideas of "dreams becoming reality" or the story of "Pygmalion" where he creates a perfect statue of a woman to scorn other women and their defects but finds himself falling in luv w/ his own statue. Thus the gods pity the fool and bring his statue to life... that kind of deali0. Yah, so in this case, it's kind of like the pencil artist who sees his object come to life.... kinda get that meaning behind the pencil sketch? I aimed @ having the sketch there even though it ruins the image quality as a whole... I find sometimes that the allusion is more important than what is there @ face value. But thanks again. :applause:

Per-Anders
01-31-2003, 08:24 AM
filters are useful. don't let them use you, use them instead, it's that simple.

i have to totally disagree with that guys teacher. he sounds like he thinks photoshop will only be used for compositing and photographic or dull typography work. photoshop is a lot more than the move tool, the text tool and the rubber stamp tool.

filters allow you to manipulate your graphic elements in a controlled manner. it's up to you how you use them. if you use them in a crass manner a filter for the filters sake, then you're allowing the program to control you. it should be the other way around.

a bad designer will always be at stage 1 of his list. it doesn't matter how good a photoshop user he is, he will still be there, it's simply about having an idea of what you want. a good desinger will if they don't know photoshop very well probably be at stage 2 of that guys list, they wont use filters because they don't know how and are scared of them, but they will still get the result they want in their head, they will probably be quite slow in photoshop, not because of being meticulous particually, simply because they don't know the app and are more likely to avoid using it and use either traditional media or some other app they're more comfortable with. a good graphic designer who knows how to use the filtersand knows photoshop will use the filters extensively or not. the difference being it wont look like they're "filters" or it wont be something you conciously think about. it will just be they're producing the image in their heads. they will use filters as much as is needed, no more, no less, they wont be scared of filters, they will be fast, they're a photoshop pro.

so really that art tutor seems to have confused becoming a better artists with a better eye, with knowledge of the package.

different styles suit different markets, and well, so often you need filters to get certain effects. think of it like using textures in 3d, or like using filters in after effects. after effects pretty much is the filters. you can use them in their default settings, but it will look like pants. if you know the filters well, you should be able to get pretty much any effect you want.

the thing to understand is though. it doesn't matter what you as an artist say or do, at the end of the day you're going to have a client who's going to want something that looks exactly like clipart, but with a bevel and a drop shadow, maybe on a nice turbulence clouds background, and maybe with their logo on top of a lens flair...and there's nothing you'll be able to do about it :vomit:

kraal
01-31-2003, 08:51 AM
for the most part i also disagree with the teacher.....saying building your own filters is a sign of a master is someone who watched too many episodes of starwars....that is like saying a master airbrush artist must build thier own airbrush......i use filters all the time and my artwork doesn't look over filtered....why because i actually design the piece first i dont just turn on photoshop and start to work i have and idea first...work out the concept the finish the piece granted some tweeking is done 'blindly' in photoshop basically on a lets see what this does basis...but my say is this...the filters are there so use them just make sure you stuff looks professional

erikals
01-31-2003, 09:47 AM
I would've only have written point 1 and 3...

------------------------
1:beginner: filters = sexy, hip and sleek. They can spherize a face
or make clouds and swirl an image. At this stage, they're tacky but the artist doesn't realize it.

3:advanced: artist rediscovers filters, but uses them very carefully. Filters become tools that become hidden through adjustments. The smallest blurs, the most arcane combinations, the tiniest noise in the smallest selections. I'm not sure, but I think most texture artists may fit in here somewhere. They use filters to back up their actual grunge maps and paintings.
------------------------

That's it.

blankslatejoe
01-31-2003, 04:10 PM
wow im glad i generated some conversation, i respond more when i get back from class. This is getting good, guys!

blankslatejoe
02-01-2003, 12:00 AM
hey guys, sorry for the long delay, I was out all day.

As far as that teacher, I think she was referring to a general pattern. I'm not sure, she might have been sur-literal when talking about mastery (or I may have misquoted, I often misremember things). She didn't really talk about that, she just passed mastery off lightly as something WAAAYYY beyond whatever an advanced student would know.

singularity2006
02-01-2003, 05:29 AM
from my experience, it's easy to blast the competition in anything high school level in my area. After that, I'm screwed. >.<

jussing
02-01-2003, 10:54 AM
I think the only problems with filters is, that they allow Mr. Everybody with no knowledge of advanced Photoshop or graphic artistry to make "fancy, flashy stuff" in minutes, and THAT looks HORRIBLE. "Look, I make flashy lens flare"

Plus, people like that don't AIM at anything when they use filters, they just flip switches and say, "Gee, I wonder what that thing's doing". Which is also a great way to learn, it's just a horrible way to give your picture that "last touch".

But as long as you aim for a specific purpose with the filters, so they serve your vision, I say use 'em all you like.

Personally I don't use a whole lot of 'em... Gaussian blur (duh), Noise (of course), Lighting effects (NOT lens flare) and occasionally Render clouds.

Cheers,
- Jonas

singularity2006
02-02-2003, 06:52 AM
yah, I agree w/ that. I've never really used many of filters though so I'm not all too clear on what they do. In a few cases, I've seen the filter do absolutely nothing. But yeah, good learning process indeed...

Nobi
02-20-2003, 08:32 AM
I think the Ps filters is so like the 3Dmax's plugings!

As the ps brush is the same as the filters,they are the program too!So why we give them the difference attitude!

I thought Who doen'st like to use filters,is he don't be proficient in it!Or he is the monomaniac!

I'm new one in ps!This some picture use filters!
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38948

kraal
02-21-2003, 07:05 PM
done with filters i beleive.....
http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutorials/type/tutorial.asp?id=32710

singularity2006
02-21-2003, 07:51 PM
hahaha, how cool. I've actually always been a fan of the combo of filters used in creating a water texture. =D

kraal
02-21-2003, 08:55 PM
yep just like anything use it right and it is amazing use it wrong and be lynched.....

MasonDoran
02-24-2003, 03:55 PM
from my experience.....especially from coming from an airbrush background.......when it comes to art....there is no such thing as cheating or cutting corners. Everything goes!! The secrets behind filters or anything for that matter.....is HIDING the technique so that nobody can recognize just how the artist achieved the look. The same principles hold for doing airbrush paintings....it all gets boring and lifeless look...unless you mix in some other media to hide the airbrush. If there was only one person that had photoshop....and all he used were filters...everybody would be amazed....but because everyone is familiar with the tools....they become bored.

Gamoron
02-24-2003, 08:41 PM
**** the purists! :D. Use filters if you have to. Good ones are useful. There's a ton of cruddy ones out there. My 2 cents is filters are better for design.

Gamoron
02-25-2003, 03:45 PM
Oh yeah. When making art I always ask myself this, since DaVinci experimented a lot with media, would he have used it. If I can justify it, and I think he would have said yes, then I do it. Think about all the artists you admire, and ask yourself if they had access to the tools we have today, would they have used it. Remember Mozart from Bill and Ted's excellent adventure? Shit yes, I think if he were alive today he'd be spinning and scratching and doing all kinds of crazy stuff.
Don't hinder yourself.
Probably a good example of modern day artistic genius is Hendrix. If he had of been born at an earlier time his music would have been different. But remember by the end of his carreer he was messing around with all kinds of effects and getting fantastic results.

MasonDoran
02-26-2003, 09:53 AM
you are absolutely right gamoron....people just like to limit themselves in their head......and justify their own limitations

dg
02-26-2003, 03:12 PM
Show me some creativity please,
using preseted filters without blend them and add some hand touches is good to do hamburgers not art, filters are awesome if you have the brain to use them, else they sux. Any idiot can do a lens flare, add a spot light, turn a photo into paint and things like that, sorry but this is not design, design is the art of combine elements to achieve a result that have your feeling (your touch) not the application touch. Nothing is more scary then a project where the person can recognize and certain effect and worst the application who made then, that proofs that you are using them in the wrong way.

Sorry about my english, I hope that you can figure it out.

My2cents,
See Ya!

ASCIISkull
02-28-2003, 12:36 AM
I know that I could convert an image to polar coordinates using the same tools that Escher would use on his artwork, but if that's a small part of the image I'm working on I can do it in seconds with the polar coords filter.

Filters are just more tools. Would Escher have thrown out his ruler just because it allowed anyone, of any skill, to draw a straight line and measure along it?

kraal
02-28-2003, 08:52 AM
i again disagree design in my opinion is creating a piece that portrays a measage......if using a noticable filter portrays a message then it IS design....... i can tell things are airbrushed....i can tell things are oil paint....i can tell things are water color, charcoal or chalk...i can tell things done in illustrator...photoshop or painter... why because that is the medium used it is time to realize that computers are just another medium and will have a certain look that does not mean bad design.....to be exact most really good design i see now a days uses plenty of filters......
here is a simple effect using filters again i can keep posting millions of these people cause filters are your friends
http://www.savvy.net/rust.htm

singularity2006
02-28-2003, 08:57 AM
but this is a smart application of filters.... in some instances though, people abuse them and it looks horrendous... this rust tutorial is a beautiful application of multiple filters to achieve a very fine look.

kraal
02-28-2003, 04:43 PM
but bad design has nothing to do with filters....dont blame filters cause someon can design well. i just think that a lot of new users read these forums and are told not to use filters and then they never l;earn the imporance of filters

Goatfuzz
03-04-2003, 02:43 AM
I see nothing wrong with filters as long as they aren't used improperly (poorly). I tend to use filters all the time (Photoshop 6.0), but I know the abilities of them and use multiple filters to get a desired appearence of an image. (I've gotten pretty good at textures and patterns by just messing around with filters. I was even able to accidently stumble upon a photorealistic orange peel, I was stunned when I did that, but it was lost somehow. :cry: )

I would agree that filters are used poorly by the majority of people (one filter over a photo and they call it art :annoyed: )...

kraal
03-04-2003, 02:49 AM
i must run in different circle than you guys cause the majority of people I know use filters well.......

singularity2006
03-04-2003, 04:36 AM
yes, yes, that is probably te case. I live in a world of high schoolers... they trash stuff up with filters horribly... -.-"

Goatfuzz
03-05-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by singularity2006
yes, yes, that is probably te case. I live in a world of high schoolers... they trash stuff up with filters horribly... -.-"

I know of this world...
;)

singularity2006
03-05-2003, 07:04 AM
I am immersed in this world.... :thumbsdow

I have to make their ID cards ... it's such a hassle..... in a school of nearly 5000 kids, they sure do like to lose their ID cards a lot.... maaan.

But hey, it's cool. It's kinda like this:

I'm underworked and overpaid.

But yeah, filters are what the photo company used to make the design for the student body card... looks pretty bad though.

Filters filters filters.... do u like the filter of this piece?

http://instillstudios.yoshi8me.com/gallery/fullsize/021.htm

Goatfuzz
03-06-2003, 11:00 PM
You think it's a hassle to make the ID cards? I'd say it's more of a hassle to wear the card (I hate my ID card)...

I like the water filter; could you tell me how you did it, please? :D

(I saw that in your site quite a while ago actually...)

Gamoron
03-07-2003, 04:00 AM
Nice effect. See, when I look at it, I say to myself how did you achieve that? I know it probably involded filters. Big deal, it looks good. Who would actually paint that stroke for stroke when a filter could do it. Somebody who is a gluton for punishment.

Now before somebody says, then why not use Poser or something like that?... like maybe they'll make a face generator for Photoshop. Painting the likeness of something that the brain recognizes as unique ( actually I have a weird list of what an artist should create free hand and not, is long and a different argument ) should be done by the artist.

I guess I'll just say this, when someone uses filters poorly, give them a break, they'll learn and if someone wants to add paint daubs to a photograph and say they painted something, REALLY laugh. Either way those who use the TOOLS like a pro still make Professional work. Thats the difference.

kraal
03-07-2003, 08:40 AM
tru to what you said but if someone wanted the ripples to look an exact way i am sure they would paint them also with out being a glutton for punishment......the point being the real questions is filter for design vs filter cause you are lazy

jah
03-08-2003, 10:28 PM
filters must be used wisely and in a way that they complement ur work instead of beeing ur work

Goatfuzz
03-14-2003, 03:52 AM
I've been thinking...

Would you consider it cheap to use the 'lighting effects' and 'blur' options? Because I tend to use those quite a bit. :surprised

(I mostly stick to painting textures and such; I tend to keep my distance when it comes to portraying a human in a painting...)

kraal
03-14-2003, 06:09 AM
who are u asking cause if you read i myself am completly pro-filter or what ever it takes

singularity2006
03-14-2003, 06:37 AM
filters are koolioz I suppose. But it's the person that can use them in such a way that u can't tell they've been used that is good with them and knows how to use them.... :beer:

jah
03-14-2003, 04:40 PM
heheeh if u know how to use them go ahead... if not don't use them? and don't complain if someone uses them (badly or not) ;)

i'm off to :beer:

singularity2006
03-14-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Goatfuzz
You think it's a hassle to make the ID cards? I'd say it's more of a hassle to wear the card (I hate my ID card)...

I like the water filter; could you tell me how you did it, please? :D

(I saw that in your site quite a while ago actually...)

on a blank canvas with foreground color in your pallete black and background white:

render cloud
gaussian blur 2
radial blur (spin) 70
gaussian blur 2
bas relief: 10 7
chrome: 5 7

singularity2006
03-14-2003, 06:23 PM
that was weird ... I don't remember posting the post I just edited .... scratch that. Some moderator is putting words in my mouth methinks. -.-"

jah
03-14-2003, 07:32 PM
dude... that's pretty wrong man, I think u should remove that ... :thumbsdow

done m8... truly sorry if it bothered u :hmm:

i just don't like people to just say 'this is wrong 'cause i think so'... like they know everything there is to know and have all the skill in the world and who step in their way with some new direction is wrong from the start...

heck they remind me of an creative director i used to have... :thumbsdow

again truly sorry... let me buy u a :beer:

Goatfuzz
03-14-2003, 10:40 PM
on a blank canvas with foreground color in your pallete black and background white:

render cloud
gaussian blur 2
radial blur (spin) 70
gaussian blur 2
bas relief: 10 7
chrome: 5 7

Thanks, I'll go try that. :D

-I tried it out and came up with this (I only did it once, I'll have to play around with it some more.):
http://www.geocities.com/mentalrabbitus/water1.jpg.txt

singularity2006
05-08-2003, 05:40 PM
eeehy, that's a savage texturing. :scream:

Cannon454
05-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Two Words : : Drop Shadow.

Jk

Just like with anything if they are used correctly in the right hand they can "help" to create something buitiful(not unlike my spelling).

Drive On
Brent

singularity2006
05-08-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by jah
done m8... truly sorry if it bothered u :hmm:

i just don't like people to just say 'this is wrong 'cause i think so'... like they know everything there is to know and have all the skill in the world and who step in their way with some new direction is wrong from the start...

heck they remind me of an creative director i used to have... :thumbsdow

again truly sorry... let me buy u a :beer:

i totally forgot what that thing to remove was ... reading the original quote, it looked fine to me ... so I thought some mod was playing mean and put words in my mouth ... so i scratched that ... hahahah, forgiven and forgotten, go figure. =D

coldbloodedkiss
05-09-2003, 01:22 AM
I think you would be crazy not to use fliters! They are excellent tools and offer such a wide range of effects when used properly and in combination. However I've seen tons of pics which have been ruined because someone decided to just throw a filter on them. But that's mostly because the user didn't have a clue what they where doing. ( In my opinion anyway) I use Gausien Blur and Noise all the time. And Unsharp Mask can be a real life saver. Like someone said in another post, they're tools just like a brush or a pencil so use them!! And if some pretentious wanker gives you flack about using filters then tell them to BURN!

singularity2006
05-09-2003, 01:51 AM
oooh, how cool, haven't seen that word in a long time... "wanker." how neat. and yes, filtery dreams indeed... toooools!! >.<

Goatfuzz
05-09-2003, 11:16 PM
eeehy, that's a savage texturing. :scream:

Is that a good thing? Sorry I'm not up to date on the latest slang, savage is now good...right?

If so, then thanks. :p

VShane
05-11-2003, 09:35 AM
Filters! definatley...cartoons and comic strips (not the mainstream comic hero stuff.) Goofy wild stupid cartoons. I use 'em because they make the cartooning even funnier :)

fandalis
05-12-2003, 08:58 AM
my own opinion :rolleyes:

photoshop/filters = 3dsmax/procedural map

:beer:

abductedMind
05-16-2003, 07:36 PM
Filters are great. The problem comes when the only thing you see is the filter, not the point of a design.

What conservative designers often suffer from is a lack of talent and creativity. If they rely on a standard accepted design style there are fewer decisions to make and fewer chances to create a mess. Also consider the content - if a design relies on a strong concept why take the chance of disgusing the message with a strong style/texture/look?

If *beauty* is the concept filters are often a good option. Good taste still applies :)

Goatfuzz
05-16-2003, 11:30 PM
Is my use of filters too obvious? Also, which one looks the best?

1. http://www.geocities.com/mentalrabbitus/thingy2.jpg.txt
2. http://www.geocities.com/mentalrabbitus/thingy3.jpg.txt
3. http://www.geocities.com/mentalrabbitus/thingy4.jpg.txt
:curious:

fandalis
05-17-2003, 10:00 AM
hey Goatfuzz!

nice filter studies! just play with it a little bit and visualize your
targeted effect or it's functionality.

you can also post your filter studies in this thread:
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=56023&perpage=15&pagenumber=4

tnx :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.