PDA

View Full Version : Eggington Plug Ins for AM

binder3d
01-28-2003, 03:55 AM
Hi guys -

This forum is way better than the Hash email system - ah so passe.

I was wondering if the fine folks at eggington are planning on updating eggslice and skylight rig - both are outstanding apps! Love them. If your not can we let Marcel Bricman or Arthur Walasek (hope I spelled their names right-sorry!)
By the way do you guys offer any tips about bringing bvh files from AM to LW? Like what Anzovin is doing? Future plug-in maybe?

Cheers-

balistic
01-28-2003, 04:14 AM
Dan Shimmyo wrote both of those tools, we're just the distributor for them. It would be up to him if he wants to do new versions, but he's recently landed a job at Blue Sky, so I don't know how much time he has for programming these days.

They're great little apps. I use Skylight for both A:M and Lightwave all the time. I even paid for it, when I could've just nicked it off our server for free :)

binder3d
01-28-2003, 04:51 AM
Anyway to get Dan to "let go" of these apps and let some one like Marcel or Arthur to continue developing them?

Are they compatible with v10?

Wegg
01-28-2003, 05:57 AM
I'm pretty sure if he thought there was a market for them. . . he would continue to develop them further.

But as of right now, he is only getting a couple sales a month and thats not even enough for him to upgrade to 10. . . let alone develop for it.

Dan and I often toy with ideas on making his products better and developing new ones.

Eggslice was the result of numberous conversations and example files exchanged back and forth between us. We didn't really make any money off of it. . . but DAMN. . . I don't know how anyone can live without it. . . ':)'(First time using these dumb smiley things BTW).

Its pretty much the only way to render high resolution imagry from AM.

Ran13
01-30-2003, 08:57 PM
Billy...
In my last e-mail conversation with Dan he basically said he would never do another plug for A:M again due to v9 causing his Skylight rigs not to work and continuous promises from Hash to fix it that never came to fruition.

This was a little over a year ago. He was quite upset due to the fact that he had just released v2.0 of the Skylight app when somethin' they did in v9 rendered it useless. They never fixed it and he lost quite a few sales.

Wegg
01-30-2003, 09:05 PM
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Its not hard to get upset over all this is it. . .

Skylight ruled. . .

Kevin Sanderson
01-31-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Wegg
:thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

Its not hard to get upset over all this is it. . .

Skylight ruled. . .

Wegg,

No, it's not hard to get upset. I understand.

Do Eggslice and Skylight 2 work well with v8.5L and its NetRender?
I'd like to purchase both if they do.

I didn't upgrade past v8.5L until 9 came out.

Kevin

Wegg
01-31-2003, 08:08 PM
Yea they work great. Especially eggslice. Being able to render a single image accross your whole network is pretty kick ass.

koon69
02-01-2003, 05:32 PM
I emailed the list asking if eggslice worked with 10 and Steve booted me. I didnt think this was ot. I emailed and said I was sorry but didnt know this was ot. It dealt with AM didnt it? Even after saying I was sorry - and I was - I really didnt think it was ot - I am still off the list. For me this was the last straw. Im going to crossgrade to LW. I dont think they will miss my measly $99. But what I dont get that people post about Anzovin plug ins and so many other plug ins like stuff from Marcel and Arthur - whose plug ins are awesome - get this type of reaction. 3D Artz posted a cool plug in. Why did I bet booted over this? Im not going to miss the list since this forum showed up.

Squeakypics
02-01-2003, 06:57 PM
Good question though. Does anyone know if Eggslice works with V10?

Wegg
02-01-2003, 10:33 PM
Man they must be mad. . .

Its a real shame cause. . . eggslice is pretty damn cool.

koon69
02-01-2003, 10:46 PM
Actually I think I know what got me booted. I did say that eggington left Hash for LW and messiah and that is against rules. If I simply asked about the plug ins I think it wouldnt have been a problem. Since I did mention the whole LW thing I totally undersatnd Steves position. I guess I had a major stupid attack. I think Im going to shut up upgarde to v10 and create art. This whole bitchin has gotten to me. To much bad karma.
Thanks for listening.
But I do wish egglsice worked with 10 and skylights. Both were great time savers.

cyberdan
02-04-2003, 04:17 AM
Hey guys,

I just found this forum after Wegg suggested I check it out. I'm Dan Shimmyo, the author of Eggslice and Skylight...

Well, you got my attention. You guys rock! Umm, I'd like to update my programs but since I don't use a:m anymore it's difficult to justify paying for the upgrade.

Well, give me a few days to think about it. I'll be back!

Cheers,
Dan

koon69
02-04-2003, 01:38 PM
Welcome Dan. You have to update the plugs - they are great. Coolest things for Hash. Your orking at Blue Sky? How is that? Stopped using AM? I guess your using whatever Sky is using. Wlecome again.

no0ne
02-06-2003, 11:24 AM
hi dan, cool that you're here too

wegg did advertise your proggys way too much around here, thx ;)

so ....
pleeeeeaaase, me wants my v10 eggs sliced :bounce:

don't dare to have a look at skylight (;
coz i might want it that much as well

bye :wavey:

Brett H.
02-11-2003, 01:40 AM
Dan,
I'm really interested in Skylight for Lightwave. I downloaded the trial, but apparently it's expired before I ever get to try it (it says trial period expired, and I just downloaded it yesterday). Any chance of trying this thing out? I've heard great things about it, and for animations this could be just the thing to get that GI flavor without the huge render times of radiosity or area lights.

Any way to upload a version that I could at least try? Do you still offer it for registration? Sorry to ask in the forum, but the site didn't want to let me past the download page.

Thanks for any help!

Brett

Kentaurus
02-11-2003, 07:15 AM
While on the subject, have you tried the Skylight Libraries (http://www.ypoart.com/tutorials/skylights-library.htm) over at Yves Poissants site (http://www.ypoart.com)? They are great and quite sufficient in many cases. I havenít tried them since A:M v8.5p++, I might add. Are they still working Yves? (Great site you have there, by the way. I think I have a crush on you catwoman:love:;))
Yves Tutorial on Skylights (http://www.ypoart.com/tutorials/skylights-intro.htm) are also very good. Donít miss it!
In those cases, when I need more control I use my own scrip (needs an application called MatLab and isnít tested for the latest A:M versions either). If there is a great demand for a skylight generator, however , I guess it wont take me too long to turn it into a more user friendly shape.
Let me hear of your demand:)

K.T.

cyberdan
02-12-2003, 05:07 AM
I'll post a new version of skylight for lightwave when I have time. I just got back from vacation and am severely deprived of sleep. I'll try to post something this weekend.
Cheers,
Dan

jayrtfm
02-12-2003, 07:01 AM
Originally posted by cyberdan
I'm Dan Shimmyo, the author of Eggslice and Skylight...

Well, you got my attention. You guys rock! Umm, I'd like to update my programs but since I don't use a:m anymore it's difficult to justify paying for the upgrade.

This reminded me of this essay:
http://davenet.userland.com/1994/10/29/platformischinesehousehold

maybe someone from Hash will see this and send you "flowers" for valentines day.

cyberdan
02-19-2003, 06:45 PM
Brett H., I looked at my latest rev. of Skylight for Lightwave and I haven't noticed any bugs that would cause it to expire in one day. I'm probably going to make it guilt-ware or annoy-ware (or whatever) so that it never expires. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
Dan

koon69
02-20-2003, 02:40 AM
Anyway that you can bring Eggslice and Skylights to 10.5? Please!

Brett H.
02-21-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by cyberdan
Brett H., I looked at my latest rev. of Skylight for Lightwave and I haven't noticed any bugs that would cause it to expire in one day. I'm probably going to make it guilt-ware or annoy-ware (or whatever) so that it never expires. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
Dan

Hey, thanks for taking the time. It honestly does say "trial period expired" as soon as I fire it up (right after downloading it), and won't export a scene. I wouldn't mind paying for it, I just want to try it out in a few instances where I think I might need it first.

Thanks again.
Brett

-----Edit------
Just downloaded it again to see if something was wrong on my end, but I still get "Trial Period Expired" on the splash screen as soon as I load it up. I'm on PC, by the way, if that matters any.
Thanks again.
---End Edit-----

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.