PDA

View Full Version : F3 not working

toonafish
09-05-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm trying to use the F3 key a lot to navigate quickly through my object properties but most of the time when I want to open a deformers properties panel this way I only get "there are no nodes to show in this view". All I can do is go to the scene browser on the right or open the explorer to get there.

anyone else noticed this ? And is there a setting I have to change to make the F3 popup work all the time ?

JDex
09-05-2006, 09:18 PM
The explorer (using F3) will open in the last viewing mode that was open when it closed... If you press F3, you can press the button in the upper left and choose scene, then close it. The next time you open it it will be in scene mode.

toonafish
09-05-2006, 10:16 PM
I can only select scene if I have nothing selected. But when I have an object selected I get only the objects hierarchy which is what I want.
But when I then select anything within the hierarchy, I very often get the "there are no nodes to show in this view" error and no properties window opens.

or did I misunderstand you ?

edit: I just noticed that what I select actualy gets selected, but I have to use Ctrl+enter or enter to open the panel.

JDex
09-05-2006, 10:27 PM
Ah... I see. I don't use the F3 (sorry was thinking of "8").

Not sure what to offer there. I usually have an Explorer or XSIExplorer in one (or more) of the viewports open all the time. I agree that the F3 explorer should always default to the parent node of the selected operator if the selected has no nodes to display.

Wishlist!

toonafish
09-05-2006, 10:47 PM
ah, well I use 8 or the explorer a lot too. But someone mentioned the F3 beeing quicker to elect stuff so I thought I'll give it a shot. And initialy it worked great but now it goes all nuts on me.

The thing is there are nodes to show. Right now I'm rigging a character and i have a shrink wrap node in there. When I double click in teh explorer on the shrink wrap node teh properties panel opens up nicely. But when I do the same with the F3 explorer, nada....

thanks for trying Jdex.

btw, there's not much activity on this xsi forum. You seem to be one of the few that knows his way around xsi and helps the new kids out here. But it seems a lot of my posts slowly sink to the bottom of the forum without any answer.
Do you know of other forums that are a bit more crowded ? I also subscribed to xsi base, but it's almost the same story.
Or maybe I'm spoiled with the overcrowded LW forums ;-)

dwigfor
09-05-2006, 11:29 PM
I only use F3 for synoptic viewing... Have you tried using the select button on the right side of the interface (near Scene, cluster)?

toonafish
09-05-2006, 11:39 PM
thanks dwigfor, good tip. Didn't know that one. Always used the scene button.

but a working F3 would be nice so I don;t have to move around so much. Does the F3 work for you besides for the synoptic view then ?

JDex
09-05-2006, 11:57 PM
As to the frequency of responses... many times people are too busy and forums are viewed by many as a time sink. It's a shame. The XSI community is still small, so as a group we must muddle through as it gets bigger. The fact of the matter is that alot of people just don't give back to the community... there seems to be a bit of a take but no give mentality prevalent among many XSI users... shame to say.

The other thing, and this is not targeted at you, is that many questions that go unanswered are just not clear or even understandable, so often those fall away. Language barriers and simply rushed questions cause much of it, others are phrased in ways that make people think that no effort has been put in my the poster to find the answer him/herself and this generally pisses people off.

I'd just say keep asking questions, be happy when you get a response, and if you don't get any, see if there's a way you can make it more clear... when there's a question you can answer, please do.

toonafish
09-06-2006, 07:16 AM
Suppose you're right JDex, teh xsi userbase needs to grow. And so for I've been only sucking up knowlegde in this forum. But I'll promise, as soon as I'm over this newby hill, I'll start giving back.

CGTalk Moderation
09-06-2006, 07:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.