PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard Art Contest - WOW/character/Tauren

Danko
09-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Hi there!
This is a WIP character that I started for the 2006 Blizzard Art Contest. Unfortunately, Spain is out of the elegible countries to participate on it so finally I won't be able to submit the model. I tried to make my own version of an overmuscled Tauren, trying to keep it strong and massive while stilyzed. Crits and comments are welcome!

Danko
09-05-2006, 04:06 PM
This is the model ready to be rigged without any texture. The polycount is <4500 tris. I planned to give him an axe as weapon but didn't modeled it yet as I was a bit upset of not being elegible to participate. I rather prefered to focus on the texturing and rigging.

Espen
09-05-2006, 04:20 PM
Hi Danko, I know well about your frustration concerning the Contest. Germany was not included in the list of countries at first and when I found out that they changed taht I had already lost 10 days. Maybe you can arrange yourself with a friend in one of the respective countries - just saying you actualy live at a friends place or something. I like your Tauren character - I was playing a Tauren shaman for a long time myself. Just one detail that irritates me: at the moment the flews are hanging down a bit too much I think what gives him kind of a doggish spin - if this was intende don't mind this comment.

Keep up the good work!
I am looking forward to the color map. Did you plan to do a normal and/or spec map as well? I am thinking about the same issue right at the moment, so I would be interested to hear your opinion.

Ah, by the way: can you show us some wireframes? and the UV layout if you already have it?

greets
--Espen

Danko
09-05-2006, 04:23 PM
Texturing progress...

Danko
09-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks for your comment Espen!! Yes, you're right, I agree on the doggish look at the face, it's something that I tried during the modelling process and as I liked the overall look I didn't finally change it. For the color map I just used a 1024 difuse texture for the whole body and head, and a separate 256 difuse map for the "clothes". I wanted to work on the specular and normal map but at the moment I gave it up to work on the riging and start posing the model. I'll probably work on those textures later! ;) Here I post some poses I tried, I also did some small animation just to practice and for fun. Regarding the contest, I just hope that next year Spain is on the list of elegible countries, can not really understand why it is not actually. Thanks for the crit! ;)

Brasil
09-05-2006, 05:39 PM
Great object and textures!!! Can you post wireframe and textures.. ?

Keep up the good work!

Danko
09-06-2006, 09:45 AM
Glad you like it Brasil! Here I attach a screen capture of the base mesh without clothes, in standard rigging pose and once posed. Later on the morning I'll post the textures. I would like to find a host also for a bigger resolution image. Thanks for the comment!

Danko
09-06-2006, 01:45 PM
And here's de UV layout... :)
I'm still looking for a hosting space to hold the textures, if I can't find a place I'll post them here although I'm actually short of 'attaching' space :shrug:

dpizzle
09-06-2006, 10:57 PM
this looks great, i really like the texture

did you do all of this in one day?

Danko
09-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Hi dpizzle, thanks for the comment! :)

Not at all, there's almost a whole week of work on that model, from the concept to the rigging. I just started posting yesterday cause I did it during my holydays and couldn't post it earlier. Now I'm trying to work on the normal map, hope to post something new later. Here I attach some reduced textures, are not 100% final yet, but I wanted to move to the rigging and animation. :rolleyes: I don't have the patience...
PS: I run out of space, I'll try to find some space to upload more images and keep updating the WIP :shrug:

Brasil
09-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks for sharing knowledge:) Yours model is looking realy good. But good normal map (maybe zbrush?:) will make object perfect:)

Danko
09-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Hi!
Thanks for the comment Brasil! :) I started working on the normal map model with Zbrush but had to leave it to do an animated composition of the character I had in mind. I'll post it here as soon as I find some place to host it :) As for the normal map model, I just worked a bit on the head and upper body. There's a lot of work to do on it. I'll post some updated shots when I move to the rest of the body!

http://www.3dvertex.com/Character/Teseo/Teseo_ZB_01.jpg

dpizzle
09-10-2006, 12:39 AM
lookin good dooood

Brasil
09-10-2006, 10:40 AM
Oh yes! This is what I'm talking about.... good nm for lores object is the key. Keep workking and remember to update this thread often with new pics:)

cheers

CGTalk Moderation
09-10-2006, 10:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.