PDA

View Full Version : Aztec Tlacatecatl - Keeper of the House of Darts

gregsandor
09-05-2006, 08:00 AM
This is a Aztec general modeled from the Mendoza codex painting. I'd like to know what you think and how it can be improved.

"He is the maneuverer of troops - a courageous warrior, one whose mission is to go to his death. The good Tlacatecatl or Tlacochcalcatl is able, prudent, a holder of vigil, a maneuverer of forces. He devises strategies, he declares, he assumes the responsibility of war. He distributes, commands, supervises the provisioning. He lays out, he searches out the roads to the foes, he tracks them. He establishes the war huts, the prisons, the market places in enemy lands. He places the sentries, posts the chosen ones, the concentrated ones. He interrogates them, he discovers the places where the enemy will approach."

http://gregsandor.tripod.com/Mx/RenderMxTlacatecatlR.jpg

JamusT
09-05-2006, 11:31 AM
Interesting stuff. You dont see many Aztec works, well I dont at least. I would say your concept in the corner is pretty lacking in detail so thats a challenge. My recommendation so far is to vary the colors in his red robe for more contrast. Ingeneral I would go through all the textures and add some dirt and grime. If nothing else try to simulate the sun bleaching or traditional wear and tear of his items. Focus on painting in a bit of shadow, and maybe get your cap against a grey or black background, white tends to bleed everything out and hurts the presentation.

ChimpanG
09-05-2006, 01:02 PM
I love how vibrant it is, some people can't do vibrancy and it ends up looking over saturated, yours looks great :D

crits:
- the skintone on his feet seems different to his face
- can we see a wire?
- can we see texture flats?

Xeone
09-05-2006, 03:46 PM
Original theme but the character screams Poser...

gregsandor
09-05-2006, 06:17 PM
Here's a wire for you. My interest is in the regalia and weapons. The human figure is stock.

http://gregsandor.tripod.com/Mx/Re.jpg

DooFi
09-05-2006, 07:21 PM
http://img310.imageshack.us/img310/9578/aztecdudecd6.jpg

In my opinion there are a lot of polys you can save since there are many loops which are very close to each other and some of them just stop in the middle of nowhere ;). I marked the most noticable spots yellow and i dont know if there would be any use in it, but i think if you would make the shield-loops as shown on the picture, it would look cleaner and the polycount could be decreased. Maybe it'd light worse, but actually i dont believe that ;)

Oh and the crittle on top of the "umbrella" is full of polys which wont be noticed by anyone in the end, i think. Especially the tail could be replaced by some planes with nice alpha-textures :)

BlackTie
09-05-2006, 10:32 PM
Very nice, I must say. I have just a small critique. The feathers in the hat/shade go backwards (perpemdicular to the bottom of the shade). I think that they should go down with the gravity, unless they are ironed or something.:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
09-05-2006, 10:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.