PDA

View Full Version : The Legend Of New Mankind, .:rapunzel:. (2D)

.:RAPUNZEL:.
01-27-2003, 10:48 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/26056/RAPUNZEL_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/26056/RAPUNZEL.jpg)

Hi,

first post in this in this awesome forum!!!

this piece was done for the current gameproject im working for.
(just for fun, but hopefully in the future as a full time job...)

One level is set in the arctic region, a part of the game is also a big tower-like city, called "New Mankind". This pictures doesent show the real tower, its only one of the legend how the building could look like...

feel free to post comments and advices, and excuse my poor english,

baba

photoshop 7, reference pictures for the snow, ice and mountains.
- my first try in photorealistic- and mattepainting

Royal
01-27-2003, 11:14 PM
Heh, that is one heck of a mattepainting, really nice work.
The only thing that I find confusing is the lower right part of the picture...what the hell is that? A rock bridge? Looks like some kind of animal hide to me. And the crack in the big rock doesn't look as realistic as the other stuff you got in there but anyways. It's excellent stuff.

freddy7133d
01-28-2003, 02:02 AM
that is absulotly amazing.. your first matte painting..
thought i was looking at a photo...
great work! :bounce:

bansh33
01-28-2003, 07:44 AM
:eek: amazing :buttrock:
looks wicked as :thumbsup:
possible we could get a bigger image :thumbsup:

BulletProof
01-28-2003, 08:07 AM
Would like to take a look at the reference images, if you don't mind...just interested...never made matte paintings....and therefore I'm interested if I can do it too.....hope i have enough photoshop-skills..

b u l l e t

erikals
01-28-2003, 08:25 AM
You got some nice work there Rapunzel, if you didn't tell, I probably would've thought it was a photo. There are three things though, the crack in the stone (less white around the crack), the lower right corner could be more blue instead of purple maybe, and the sky could be a tiny bit more saturated.

(do you see the blue snow-shadow by the "crater"? That shadow gets it's color from the sky, however, since the picture is taken straight forward and not up against the sky, the picture won't reveal that much of the blue sky.) I'm not 100% sure if this theory is correct, it might be other factors that count as well...

great work.
Erik

Deepray
01-28-2003, 08:35 AM
:drool: :eek: ... LOOK!!!... is Frodo and the fellowship on the bridge!!!... man!... great work!!! ;)

WhiteRabbitObj
01-28-2003, 08:57 AM
Simply stunning. I'm just waiting until I can afford to get an Intuos2 pad until I start off on my first matte painting myself. This is quite an inspiration, very awesome!

That being said, the things that bother me with it are the same things that have been said, the crack in the large tower of stone is fake looking, the snow running around the whole edge is the culprit I think. The bridge of stone in the lower right hand corner is also awkward, I had to stare at it for awhile before I understood what it was, because it looked like a wierd hole being cut into the mountain but at the wrong perspective. I eventually realized that it was just seeing through to the distance, but it was initially very confusing, I think that this case is kind of like those tests where you look at a black and white image and different people percieve the space differently depending on whether you first percieve black or first percieve white. Same lines. As far as fixing it goes, I think it would be a significant amount of work for something that may not be a huge problem (I may be in the minority having this problem, though there was at least one other guy who also had the problem who posted before me).

All in all, an exquisite painting, truly awesome.
I give it five buttrockers!
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Oh, and your english is just fine. Post in German as well if you want, seems to be plenty of Germans on these boards and I myself can read it fairly well. Plus, the spanish guys all doubt post in english/spanish! =P

prasa
01-28-2003, 09:16 AM
Man this one piece is stunning!! I'm also interesting in references ... can you show it??

cuse
01-28-2003, 09:41 AM
really fantastic piece of work... and first matte painting on the front page! well done :)

will be watching with eagerness...

cuse

ernie (WV)
01-28-2003, 10:10 AM
Congratulation .:RAPUNZEL:. I'm so proud on you...want you merry me?;)

SORRY I've pulled the wrong button, SORRY SORRY

ernie (WV)
01-28-2003, 10:14 AM
Congratulation .:RAPUNZEL:. I'm so proud on you...want you merry me?;)

lildragon
01-28-2003, 10:25 AM
What a way to introduce yourself to the site :thumbsup: Incredible detail, and attention to it ;) how long did it take? And dare I say this is on par with Henrik's work :argh:

Very very nice indeed

You have received the CGtalk choice award . Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! very inspiring work!

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/award_jan_2003_2.jpg

P.S. if you need a different background, please send me a PM with the RGB values.

salud

shoey
01-28-2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by lildragon
Incredible detail, and attention to it ;) how long did it take? And dare I say this is on par with Henrik's work :argh:

Very very nice indeed

Agreed, when i looked at the front page i thought it wa another of Henrik's work. great job, and your first post too:thumbsup:

Egyt
01-28-2003, 11:00 AM
holeee makabongaa! Absolutely stunning! And this is your first piece, I really do I hate you :eek: j/k, I hope to see more from you, henrik better watch out. =) gl!!!

podoba
01-28-2003, 11:27 AM
Hm. First reply, first succes. Well done texturing and lighting. The rock tower texture looks realics. :applause:

01-28-2003, 12:12 PM
thanks for this great "welcome"!!!!! :bounce:

your comments on the weak parts of the image are great. the thing on the lower right side is a natural stone bridge. i didnt get the possibly problem that someone could see a cave-like thing. and yes, the crack is the other part that sucks, but after several trials (lightnings between the rocks, glowing things, lava,...) i decided to let him natural with some mystery elements.

here some reference pics if used for structure and forms....

http://reinher.bei.t-online.de/ref.jpg

it took my about 9 hours so far...
its only 2000x1000- i have a slow machine....

again, thanks for your advices. a great motivation for me, and hopefully you like future works as much as this one.
:bounce:

baba

De-Cypher
01-28-2003, 12:57 PM
beautiful work... i need to get back into painting...

on my list of things to learn before my final days... haha

aurora
01-28-2003, 01:15 PM
9 HOURS!?!?!?!?! Crap I don't think I could do that in 9 days. That is a beautiful piece of work. I can't wait to see more.
WELCOME to CgTalk!!!:beer:

Tad
01-28-2003, 01:18 PM
um... ur not working??
why the hell not?

go get a job right now,
your better than most of the "professionals" out there right now!!

BC1967
01-28-2003, 01:34 PM
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Your work is a joy to behold and an inspiration to carry.
More Sir? Please?
:eek: :applause: :applause: :eek:

Greenlief
01-28-2003, 02:38 PM
I LOVE MATTE PAINTINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :buttrock: :buttrock:

This is beautiful, the realism is unbelievable!! Keep up the amazing work!! :thumbsup:

modeling-man
01-28-2003, 02:42 PM
Ok so just what DOES matte painting mean? I went to a bunch of different sites, and from what I gathered its like painting against a real sky background? I dunno that's what every site referred to it as. If someone could shed some light on this I'd appreciate it...cause I'd really like to learn how to paint like this...I just need to know WHAT it is:)
Thanks,
B

xLonewolfx
01-28-2003, 02:53 PM
great work and very sharp one

i like the left side better :)

can u post early progresses plz?

how did u get it tp look so sharp?

blackwulf360
01-28-2003, 03:54 PM
Beautiful work!:thumbsup:

idokalir
01-28-2003, 04:00 PM
That's amazing! great details, great lighting.
:buttrock:

iNFERNiS
01-28-2003, 04:22 PM
damn I love matte paintings, you guys are so talented!
I'm jealous :)

Very nice piece! Looks very realistic.

balistic
01-28-2003, 05:12 PM
You could stand to soften up some of your edges a bit, particularly in the distance. Everything's a bit too sharply-layered right now . . . in an environment like that, you have to consider that things like atmospheric haze and blowing snow are going to soften parts of the horizon. I'd also like to see a few more faint layers of mountains more distant than what's presently there, to really push the depth of the image.

Otherwise, it's well done. The rock textures are very nice, and the cratered area reads well.

Hugh
01-28-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by modeling_man
Ok so just what DOES matte painting mean?

Matte painting is creating a still backdrop to be used as the background for a shot in a film/animation. It will often have blue-screen footage composited over the top, or CG elements.

Some matte painters work traditionally, or in 2D, and there are others that will do it in 3D (there was a very nice one of a corn field and building posted on here a few weeks ago)

Hope this helps...

modeling-man
01-28-2003, 06:27 PM
ahh ok ok...gotcha
cool so just something like Bob Ross would do? hehe
j/k.
I'm jealous as hell..time to get to work!
-B

Cheers
01-28-2003, 06:31 PM
I've nothing else to say but STUNNING! Thank you very much for sharing :)

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

evan
01-28-2003, 09:21 PM

Very nice peice of work. One of the nicest Matte paintings I have seen in ages. Well done. Looking forward to seeing more from you.

Cheers
Evan

(DARKELEMENT)
01-29-2003, 03:32 AM
That crack is lighter colored and curved to what looks like natural weathering dont touch it:D an nice job btw:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

singularity2006
01-29-2003, 04:38 AM
holy craziness.... okay, I've onlee done photoshop for the past several years and have not talked much to others about programs so I'm new to terminology... what is "matte painting?" And what program did u model all that in and how the !@#$ did u get the lighting to look so natural?!?!? Lightwave? or something??? wowwoowo, soooo cooool....

Tommy Lee
01-29-2003, 06:00 AM
OMG...das ist fantastisch. Wilkommen an board rapunzel und Grsse aus old vienna!!!:wavey:

Btw... I want to start a mattepainting by myself. Do ya have any tips or tutoriallinks to show us. Would be great.

@singularity: This is done with photoshop I think...so its classical painting. Yes... not everybody needs a 3d app to do realistics..hehe.

Cheerz:beer:

Tommy Lee

bibi5000
01-29-2003, 06:24 AM
Keep it up, Manuel! :thumbsup:
I want to see more ;)

Jelo
01-29-2003, 01:49 PM
Hi, Very nice work!

I haven't read all the post of this thread so I don't know what feed back you've already gotten but I want to give you my huble feead back.
I did a paint over/color-correction of you image. Though I belive it may be somewhat to saturated I think it shows the idea.

http://www.jeloart.com/pub/forum/mankind_wp.JPG

Emre
01-29-2003, 10:55 PM
that looks real.

ok let's see if i got it right...

you first cut parts from reference pics and modify and paste to your pic. then adjust lights and saturations etc... then paste the whole background and goes on...

is it it?:love:

01-30-2003, 09:03 AM
Thanks for your replies!!!

sorry, im very busy- lot of work and privat stuff is going on.
@Jelo: the overpainting is great. i will post an update, with some of your suggestion at the weekend.

i cant give you a pictured step by step explanation of my workflow, i only have one screenshot of one of the last steps- sorry....

how i worked:

Initial sketch- i will post this one at the weekend

Serching for reference pictures

A simple gradiant for the background, i painted the clouds when the picture was almost finished

A lot of cloning and color corrections

Paint parts and textures- when it was possible ive cloned some textures from the reference pictures

Ive tryed to use a lot of photomaterials for textures- thats why the picture looks so sharp

mistakes i did:
to small canvas size- only 2000x1000 (because of my slow machine)
and my old problem with my concentration. most of the pictures i do are scribbles and speedpaintings. its hard for my to work on an image longer than to days.

thanks,
baba

here is a scrennshot of one of the last steps. the crack is to small and the background is a simple gradiant....

Emre
01-30-2003, 11:00 PM
Hey thanks for the explanation.
now i got it.

:beer:

and, verrry good work again.:thumbsup:

pestopedo
01-31-2003, 12:15 AM
Man that is truely amazing. Really good job.:cool:

02-02-2003, 02:18 PM
I was realy busy and i could not achive to make an update-sorry :hmm:

Some of you asked for tutorials:

Sorry, I havend found one tutorial about mattepainting.... ...and this picture was my first one- so, Im still new to it. But I will try to make a good step-by-step description on my next image.

Here comes the initial sketch. Its not realy a sketch, first I thought i paint this motiv, but after sketching arround i decided to make some fotorealistic stuff.

http://reinher.bei.t-online.de/mankind_sketch.jpg

btw: We have updated our Gameproject-Website- now in English

seppomatik
02-03-2003, 08:57 AM
Great work! :thumbsup:

Wancieho
04-24-2003, 08:27 AM
Excellent job but I definately feel there's one thing that doesn't work properly and has been mentioned already. The sky is really the wrong colour for the image lighting. The lighting is brighter than what the sky portrays. U really need to give the sky some "brighter" colour and break away from the greys.

As for the crack that's been mentioned, I probably wouldn't have really noticed until somebody said something but I do have a feeling that the snowy edge should fade away further down on the crack (near the bottom). The quantity of snow is fine where the crack is wide but when it closes the snow really needs to be less.

Neo2
04-24-2003, 09:40 AM
amazing my friend .. :cool:

i thought i was looking at a photo .. nice work .. :scream:

how did u do all of that ? .. did you follow a tutorial ?

:eek:

rochus
04-24-2003, 10:19 AM
really nice one :)

and on - well, not really - german:*schwarzenegger style on* suber, bebe ;) *schwarzeneggerstyle off *

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.