PDA

View Full Version : curve lenght

themick_g
09-04-2006, 08:59 PM
hi
Is there a script which keeps the length of a curve always the same amount?i want to move the points but the curve should keep its lenght !
thx
mick

JDex
09-05-2006, 02:44 AM
I remember there being a discussion on this either here or at XSIbase some time ago, but you'd need to dig around for it.

grahamef
09-05-2006, 08:00 PM
If it doesn't need to be mathematically exact, you can deform one curve by another. The deformed curve should keep its length (more or less) as you modify the deforming curve. It's not perfect but any change in length is hardly noticeable.

ThE_JacO
09-05-2006, 11:12 PM
hi
Is there a script which keeps the length of a curve always the same amount?i want to move the points but the curve should keep its lenght !
thx
mick

what you describe is, if you only want one point to move, pretty much impossible.
what you actually want is IK like manipulation of the curve, which isn't too hard to trick your way around.

get your curve and duplicate it before you manipulate it.
get the originator curve and create chain from curve with it, use enough bones to describe the curve decently.
now envelope the duplicated curve to this chain.
modifying the first curve will deform the chain, which is constant length, and you get your second curve to follow and stay perceivably the same length of when it was created.

3DQUAKERS
09-06-2006, 07:09 AM
Hey mick. A simple solution to the problem would be this:

1. Create a curve
2. Create a Chain from this curve, but do check constrain.
You will get a new curve created for you, which you can dig up in the explorer. This curve will be constrained to the original. The original does stretch but this new one does not, and therefore keeps its length.

I hope this solves your problem.

themick_g
09-06-2006, 07:31 AM
thx a lot for all your tips!
cheers
mick

themick_g
09-06-2006, 09:27 AM
by the way...Charbel, are there any release-dates of the new quakers-tuts ? :P
thx
mick

3DQUAKERS
09-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Well, I can't give any exact dates, but I will be releasing the demo for the Automatic Rigging DVD next week for sure. It features the creation of a Rig Guide with symmetrical controls, and the creation of a custom rig (similar to RiggingPRO) with the click of a button.
More info soon...
The other titles I mentionned earlier will follow later.

CGTalk Moderation
09-06-2006, 11:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.