PDA

View Full Version : how to extrude flat mesh?

scrimshaw1803
09-04-2006, 04:44 PM
I have a flat mesh surrounded by boundary edges and I want to push up all the edges to create a volume with no boundary edges.

The best way to explain this is to start with a 3x3 polymesh grid. I would like to turn this into a polymesh cube with 3x3 grids on the top and bottom and 3 polygons on each side. Just imagine the 3x3 grid lying flat and then "extruding up" to create a cube.

Is there any way to do this in XSI without using to add polygon tool and doing this manually?

Bucket
09-04-2006, 05:15 PM
Take cover here comes the hate...

CiaranM
09-04-2006, 05:22 PM
You could just create a 3x3x3 cube, then delete the two exta edge lops along the side walls.

But if you really want to do it the hard way....

Start with a 3x3 grid
Duplicate the mesh
Select all faces on duplicated mesh and extrude (ctrl-d) up.
Invert polygons of original mesh
Merge meshes.

:shrug:

scrimshaw1803
09-04-2006, 05:36 PM
Thanks Ciaran. Actually, that is exactly what I was trying. I just forgot to check the normals and invert the polys though, which I why I was getting stuck. I slapped my head when I read your post and realized my dumb mistake.

BTW, I wasn;t after a cube, this was just the simplest analogy. I working with a more complex grid structure that I'm trying to extrude.

shadowedge
09-05-2006, 01:42 AM
bro,

that works well if you start out with a grid, but just in case you plan to start with a more complex shape, I suggest you make a flat surface (face) out of a curve, it comes with an extrude option in the ppg that opens.

good luck. :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-05-2006, 01:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.