PDA

View Full Version : Game Showreel Help

j5ive
09-04-2006, 02:02 PM
Hi guys, I've decided to temporarily take a break from modelling and put together a portfolio showreel for job applications. Can you point me in the direction on how to do this, I have my complete models ready just don't have the first idea on how to composite them into a convincing animation showreel.

regards

*Apologies if this is in the wrong section*

Matroskin
09-06-2006, 03:48 PM
well,
it depends which job ur huntig ;)
if it is modeling only, so u need to make turnarounds of ur models (textured, untexured, wireframe or combination of wire over shaded model) plus texture samples (if u did texturing for it).
If for level design, so same thing, but just still images of level zones or camera flyby.
All can be rendered in ur 3d application of choice, but if u can make a screencapture from a specific game with ur work inside it`ll be cool.
if u did sketches for it, so u can present them also to show that u can stick to original design.
And don`t forget to make it maximum of 2 minutes with ambient music ;)

As for animations, game dev studios usualy look for short sequences, as if they were made for a game - walk, run, crouch, atack, jumps etc.

j5ive
09-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Hi, thanks for the response. I was more aiming towards how to composite a show reel rather than reel content. Ie. seemlessly joining several clips together etc, I've never done anything other than character animation, so this is a very foreign subject for me to broach.

FirstManOnMars
09-06-2006, 05:21 PM
It seems what your asking is how to edit video together, and that's a whole 'nother can of worms. I'd suggest you settle on a theme (High energy, mysterious, etc.) and choose your music first, then carefully story-board the entire sequence on paper.

After that you get your various rendered clips (Sorensen Compression seems like a common standard) and start cutting them together using After Effects. Basically put your turntables together and seperate with transitions and overlay with text.

I wish I could elaborate more but maybe if you do the first steps with the storyboard and show some of the content you intend to include I can help out more :)

-Matt

Matroskin
09-06-2006, 06:18 PM
yes, i agree.
Well, mastering basic tools in Premiere required to do stuff that FirstManOnMars was talking about would take a day or two ;) I don`t use AfterEffects, so can`t tell if it is more complicated (but I don`t think so :) )

heavyness
09-06-2006, 10:10 PM
AfterEffects isn't that hard [to do simple cuts and composites]. its the crazy advance stuff that takes time to learn.

but if you have a bunch .mov or .avi, you can use Quicktime Pro and or some free apps to stitch them together and put some sound to it. but i would aim for Adobe Premiere, pretty straight forward [if you can learn 3d, editing video should be a bit easier].

first off, sketch down how you want to do the video [cuts, fades, if your going to do straight turntable clips or what not]. having a quick storyboard will saving you many hours of wasted time.

CGTalk Moderation
09-06-2006, 10:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.