PDA

View Full Version : Cold mountain facility | painting | feedback please >>>

everlite
09-03-2006, 11:17 PM
Hey Guys,

Do you ever get it when you sit for like, two hours just turning one layer on and off ?!!! does it work, doesn't it, does it ... -2% opacity .... mmm (30 minutes later) ....

Well that's me this evening.

http://www.thedaveidentity.co.uk/web/castle1_web.jpg

http://www.thedaveidentity.co.uk/web/mountain_2web.jpg

and yep i know his clothes should be moving in the raining one, oh well. http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon11.gif

One thing that's really bugging the hell out me is i'm using two PCs, one - my main base to create the work and the second, my laptop - i use for emails web, this kind of thing etc .. Now as i'm looking at it on my base PC the image looks finei can see all the detail down the side of the castle, but when i look on my laptop as i see it now its really dark, can you guys see windows down the left side of the main forground building? Also the scarf that drapes down the back of his cloak in the center? can you see this? mmm wonder which is correct, they both look fine???

Anyway so back to the pics, thoughts suggestions, to rain or not rain?

Cheers - Dave.

SOE digital
09-04-2006, 12:42 AM
I like it better with the snow.

everlite
09-04-2006, 12:55 AM
Hey cheers :-)

Staberinde
09-04-2006, 02:45 AM
To be frank everlite, I can just about notice the slight difference in images, so either one is as good as the other. Itís all down to personal preference I reckon.

As for your Ďdesktop/laptopí comparisons I discovered the same thing, it drove me mad. At home (Iím at work now) I have a dell 20 inch wide screen lcd monitor. I thought it was the beeís kneeís till I bought a new laptop, a Sony Vaio, 17 inch wide screen with x black technology, (what ever that is!). Anyway, long storey short, Iíve realised I can see a lot more fine detail on the Sony than I can on the Dell. This prompted me to check out colour profiles and monitor calibration gizmoís.

Iím only a CG beginner; I wish I worked for a studio, with all the decent gear. I canít afford decent stuff.

Oh and by the way, great scene, I think it has perfect composition and a great mood conveyed with the palette youíve used.

genji2103
09-04-2006, 11:51 AM
great beginning but you should add some texture to the rocks forwards... i really like the mood ;-)

psycho_matic
09-04-2006, 12:42 PM
Hi,
prefere the one with snow/rain, because it looks more alive than the clean one.
Tip: try it out to make the turbine fire orange/red-like, to bring in a bit of warm colors... Cool pic anyway :)

Velarion
09-04-2006, 04:46 PM
looks great.But as mentioned above the rocks beyond the road needs more photo material.I also liked the snowy version more.keep up:thumbsup:

everlite
09-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Hey cheers everyone.

So the rain one it is, should learn to trust my instincts :-)

Yeah, the rocks do have a texture applied but it probably needs beefing up a little, i'll do just that.

I'll also add an orange glow as suggested, see how that looks.

Watch this space, i'll be doing a few more in the next few days.

Cheers again - Dave.

everlite
09-12-2006, 12:14 AM
Second scene, any feedback?

http://www.thedaveidentity.co.uk/web/mountain_2web.jpg

Cheers :-)

jussing
09-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Very nice!

Seen from a visual effects perspective, I think you should do the mattes without the snow, because a moving plate of CG/practical snow would be comped in later.

Of course, you might do a layer of snow for the purpose of previzzing what it's going to look like in final comp.

Cheers,
- Jonas

Wizdoc
09-12-2006, 02:32 PM
I like these a lot. While I don't think they're photoreal enough to use as matte paintings, they're very strong pieces of concept art. Reminds me of stuff James Cameron did for Terminator(s) and Aliens.

everlite
09-12-2006, 07:25 PM
Hey thanks, the second one does remind me of aliens 3, the outside shots.

Cheers Jonas, i guess these lean more towards the concept side a little. I really like your demo reel by the way :-)

A third one's on its way.

- Dave.

CGTalk Moderation
09-12-2006, 07:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.