PDA

View Full Version : Painting weights issue.

Narratorway
09-03-2006, 10:17 PM
Let's get this outta the way first, I'm using Maya 6.5 raw (meaning no add ons or plug ins or anything).

Okay, I got one funky problem that makes no sense and I figure maybe someone 'round here can explain it fer me.

Alright, so I'm trying to rig this fella, human by the way so it's just the typical 2x arms/legs, 1x head etc. and I got the left leg rigged up the way I wanted, so I start up on the right. I get the right side hip to leg area the way I like and turn it around some to see how it worked and suddenly one vertices from the foot of the left leg follows the right leg. Now here's where it gets odd.

I went into the component editor figuring to just knock whatever influence the right joints had down to zero, but they weren't there. None of the joints on the right side were listed. I checked the skin wieghts on the actual geometry and sure enough, it showed up black for all the right joints too. So now I have a vertices following joints the programs telling me it doesn't even acknowledge and I have no idea how to fix it. Any suggestions?

lifire
09-04-2006, 04:14 AM
I'm not sure how much help this will be, but I know if you change the surface if it had any weights on it at all it will keep those weights but there will be no way to change them. For example, if you bind multiple pieces (head and body were sepereate), and realize you want them to be one piece so you combine them. The weights are still there, but you cannot modify or see them. This is the only thing I can think of. Hard to see how that would effect only one vert.

Best of luck.

Narratorway
09-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Well I am using seperate geometry for the character (pants and legs, shirt, arms, head), but I never combined them at any time. I did however delete one extra vertices I'd missed in the foot after I applied the bind skin, but that section has been just fine.

To be honest, the whole things been screwy. I couldn't fix the ankle issue so I started over and discovered new problems I can't explain. For one, no one vertices is being attached fully to one joint. What I mean is that I can't get a full value of 1 for any of the vertices. It only goes as high as .990 and distributes the rest to other joints. Vertices values are being transfered all over the place as well, to joints that are set to not take any values at all. My left knee has a vert set almost fully to the right hip in the component editor and in the skin wieght map, but doesn't actually follow it. It's like it's doing what I want, when the program indicates it should be doing something completely different. I don't know what it means, but I can't trust all this wonky weighting to not come back and bite me in the ass when I'm too far into rigging to go back and fix it. I don't know what to do about it. I've already deleted the old skin and tried binding a new one, but the problems are still there.

fanger
09-07-2006, 08:22 AM
have you tried prunin' small weights though....set the value to 0.01 an' prune an' check if that helps. Otherwise sounds like a case o' MAYA GREMLINS!:scream:

Darksuit
09-07-2006, 05:42 PM
Some general questions?
1. How many polys is the rig?
2. when you smooth bind, how many influences are you setting it to, and are you doing closest in distance or hierarchy?
3. When you paint wieghts, what method(s) are you using?

When I go over Paint wieghts in my 3d classes, I advise against subtraction and replace. When painting with add, set your value to 0.1 and to work up from there.

If forcing the value to 1 in the component editor is not working check to see what joints are being held. This is generally the culprit for the .990 issue.

Narratorway
09-07-2006, 06:33 PM
1) 4148 polys

2) Settings are:
Bind to Selected Joints
Closest in Heirarchy
Max Inf: 5
After Bind Maintain Max Inf is checked
Dropoff rate is 4
Remove unused Inf is checked

3) In this case, did a 1 value flood to the pelvis, then held everything except the pelvis and the left hip, then 'stole' from the pelvis and added weights all the way down the leg to the hip until the hip area was weighted how I like. Hold the pelvis, and unhold the knee and now I grab from the hip area and add to the knee. Continue till the one leg is done, then repeat for the other.

Not sure what that means. There is no option to subtract weights so far as I know.

When I did the flood, I made sure every joint was unchecked before doing the flood. Still did the distribution.

fanger
09-09-2006, 02:18 AM
eeerrr....question.....do you use smooth weights a lot?? well have realised using smooth indiscriminately does tend to make vertices act all senile.

mgrd
09-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Try rebinding with a max influence of 3, 5 is usually way to much. Try to think of anywheres on your body where there are more than 3 bones affecting any one position. Also if the UV's aren't laid out correctly weight painting has a tendency to mess up as its based on UV's. Using Add is definetly the way to go, and if you have access to a wacom tablet it'll make your life much easier. Set your max and min range to -1 and 1 and use .08 to add influence and -.08 to remove it. When using a tablet, the less pressure you use, the less the opacity is, allowing you to slowly add/remove influence.

Also on your bind settings, I usually use:

Max Influence: 3
Dropoff rate: 10

Which usually gives me decent results off the bat, making the weighting go quite abit faster.

CGTalk Moderation
09-09-2006, 08:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.