PDA

View Full Version : Rendering Basics

EricCartman
01-27-2003, 07:00 PM
Hey guys,

I am "new" to 3D stuff and would like to ask for some help.

I've done some modeling but I never really got into rendering and lighting.

My question is this:

What renderer was used here and how was this set created (see render picture below). I would really appriciate it if one could explain it to me or point me in the right direction.

Thanks a million.

http://www.dutch-gamers.nl/~karabo/honda/vtx7.jpg

saturen3
01-27-2003, 10:02 PM
hi dear eric

i can explain you somethings that i know .
first i must to say that this picture uses gi
( global ilumination ).
this system of lighting calculates the reflect of lights in the real world .
this part is new in the softwares such as 3dsmax .
and if you want to know that in max , i can tell you somethings ;
1.in the 3dsmax5 in the light psrsmeteres select skylight and place it above of yur object .
2.use a lightblue for inviroment background .
3.at rendering\advanced lighting check the light tracer part .
4.set the lighttracer acttive .
now render the scene .
if you cant mean it contact me .
bye now

EricCartman
01-27-2003, 10:22 PM
Wow!

That worked great. I used Brazil 1.0 :)

Thanks a bunch.

Would you mind, if I contact you if I encounter any more problems?

saturen3
01-29-2003, 07:06 PM
hi dear eric
i hope that you used these commands properely
thank you
yes i get happy if i can to help to you.
contact me
bye

Mauritius
01-30-2003, 11:45 AM
saturen3: your first assumption is wrong.
It uses ambient occlsuion.

Ao calculates the occlsuion of every point on the surface against a hemisphere who's axis of revolution is defined by the surface normal at that point or the average of the directions rays are reflected to.
It has nothing to do with global illumination though it requires a ray-tracing capable renderer.

If the image did use global illumination, the downside of the bike would be much brighter due to the light reflected from the ground plane.

Cheers,

.mm

joconnell
01-30-2003, 01:14 PM
That's brazil with a diffuse depth of 1 - no bounce light as mauritius said - It is using a skylight but not GI - It's definitely brazil, I know the look of the undersampling on the skylight anywhere ;)

Khepri
01-30-2003, 01:42 PM
GI isn't the same as radiosity. (allthough it can use radiosity)

and this looks like brazil indeed

saturen3
01-30-2003, 04:39 PM
i think that i was wrong .
thank you friends for your replies .
i thought that its system is gi .

Mauritius
01-30-2003, 07:25 PM
It's definitely brazil, I know the look of the undersampling on the skylight anywhere

I doubt you could tell the look of monte carlo irradiance undersampling artifacts in PRMan 11, MRay 3, Brazil or 3Delight from each other. They all look the same. ;)

.mm

dflipb
02-05-2003, 04:34 AM
hemmm.... am I hearing a challenge? =D

joconnell
02-06-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Mauritius
I doubt you could tell the look of monte carlo irradiance undersampling artifacts in PRMan 11, MRay 3, Brazil or 3Delight from each other. They all look the same. ;)

.mm

Also it's the default skylight colour with brazil :P - I'll concede on the undersampling ;)

Gunnah
02-07-2003, 03:13 PM
if *we* cant be sure of the undersampling aritfacts, how can *you* be so sure it's 'ambient occlusion'?(when in fact, it could also be a clever standard lighting trick :) .. Just because there's no bounce light, doesn't mean it's ambient occlusion :)

G

Originally posted by Mauritius
saturen3: your first assumption is wrong.
It uses ambient occlsuion.

Ao calculates the occlsuion of every point on the surface against a hemisphere who's axis of revolution is defined by the surface normal at that point or the average of the directions rays are reflected to.
It has nothing to do with global illumination though it requires a ray-tracing capable renderer.

If the image did use global illumination, the downside of the bike would be much brighter due to the light reflected from the ground plane.

Cheers,

.mm

joconnell
02-07-2003, 03:51 PM
Let's have a dance off!!!

playmesumch00ns
02-12-2003, 12:36 AM
My vote says it's GIJoe

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.