PDA

View Full Version : SMILE is finished!

amaised
09-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Hello! I am new to the boards. This is my first film, took me 3 years and was done as my undergraduate thesis.

thanks
-Chris

The trailer for SMILE is at www.smilethefilm.com (http://www.smilethefilm.com)

The entire film is available on iTunes:
click here to launch SMILE on iTunes (http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewMovie?id=184682275&s=143441)

Note: I will buy the film on iTunes for the first 10 people that can "private message" me their e-mail addresses. If you do that, then I can "gift" you the video.

You can also visit SMILE on Myspace. (http://www.myspace.com/smilethefilm) Here you can see the trailer as well as two 4 minute making of documentaries that feature filming background plates and motion capture.

mstram
09-03-2006, 10:05 PM
Hello! I am new to the boards. This is my first film, took me 3 years and was done as my undergraduate thesis. I would definitely appreciate any feedback on the trailer or the film itself.

The trailer for SMILE is at www.smilethefilm.com

The entire film is available on iTunes:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewMovie?id=184682275&s=143441[/font]]by click here to launch SMILE on iTunes (

Your Itunes link is broken.

And you're probably the first person that I've seen anyway to have posted in this forum with an Itunes link. Does that mean it's a pay/pay per-view ? Even it's free, I suspect you're going to get fewer viewings than if a direct link to the .mov/.avi/.mpg file. If it's a pay-per-view, I'm sure you'll get even fewer (at least one fewer :) )

Mike

darbble
09-04-2006, 12:52 AM
Hey! What's up with having to pay to see this?!?

Hopefully, this doesn't become a new trend, here. I can somewhat understand paying for an animation from a well-know AND well-established artist/company, but there's no way I'm going to pay to help critique an animation everytime someone makes it.

I understand that you want something out of this after spending so much time on it, but if you want people to look at it, you're going to have to let people see it for free.

Sorry.

amaised
09-04-2006, 01:03 AM
Hey! The reason it is on iTunes is because I signed a distribution contract, so I don't have the rights to post it here. I would just as much appreciate it if you checked out the trailer, which is free on www.smilethefilm.com.

However, I would love for some feedback, so... I will buy the film on iTunes for the first 10 people that can "private message" me their e-mail addresses. If you do that, then I can "gift" you the video.

thanks
-Chris

amaised
09-04-2006, 01:04 AM
Hey! The reason it is on iTunes is because I signed a distribution contract, so I don't have the rights to post it here. I would just as much appreciate it if you checked out the trailer, which is free on www.smilethefilm.com (http://www.smilethefilm.com).

However, I would love for some feedback, so... I will buy the film on iTunes for the first 10 people that can "private message" me their e-mail addresses. If you do that, then I can "gift" you the video.

thanks
-Chris

Batchem
09-04-2006, 02:13 AM
What a very sad trend this would be ...

Batchem

mstram
09-04-2006, 02:49 AM
What a very sad trend this would be ...

Batchem

Well I was curious and went over to Itunes.

The movie is only $1.99, (I was expecting $10-30 or something ... not having used Itunes before).

The trailer looks very professional (albeit a bit on the short side, especially with the rather quick cuts of the 3d action making it hard to critique anything ... with a rather annoying "miniature movie window format too), and for a ~10minute movie, 2 bucks is not a whole lot. Heck it's $13.00 now for a feature in Toronto. There are very positive reviews there too from satisfied customers who bought the movie.

On the other hand, CgTalk is more or less the domain of the industry "insiders" (though I am not one of them .. just a hobbyist at the moment and audience member), which is why I could pretty well guess what the response will be to an Itunes movie in the "critique section".

Mike

blinxpro
09-04-2006, 11:46 PM
We share work here on cgtalk for critique. I do understand having a contract hinders you from posting the full thing.

Who wants to critique a trailer? Perhaps next time you could give us a period of time to critique before tacking a price on it.

I guess this is one that I won't be seeing. Yes, I could come up with that amount of money, but why? It's principle. We all share here for critique. To better our work, ourselves and each other.

Next thing people will be charging on here for their advice or critique.

ivanisavich
09-05-2006, 12:06 AM
If you have to pay for this, my guess is that you should have posted this in the "cgNews" section.

Sorry bro.....but I have a feeling you're going to regret having signed the contract with ITunes. Forcing viewers to pay to see your film on the internet is going to cause you to lose about 95% of your audience.

blinxpro
09-05-2006, 05:21 AM

thanks
-Chris

I did not mean to come accross too harsh. We as a community, just can't afford for this to catch on as a trend. (This is my opinion)

In the artists defense:

I guess to be fair I should have acknowledged the fact that he is willing to let 10 people critique his work for free.

I agree with Tyson. You should post this in the "cgNews" section.

Good luck.

vanlicht
09-06-2006, 02:39 AM
though, i gess Chris might got some unique experience from working with sponsorships/ contracts for an independent film. It'd be nice for Chris to share his experience sometimes.

i got it as a gift, thanks. For the whole piece, there's definitely hard work and it does shows kind of cinematogrphic sense. i especially loves the background and prop design. the camera work, the rendering of cg characters in the film is pretty sweet.

Story is fabulous, and it's very challenging for pantomime to last 8 min long. though, it could have been made shorter. Apart from that...the atempt of mo-cap is good...but it does require a lot of fixing and fine tunning...i even have some difficulty trying to identify what those jiggles and wierd twists were supposed to mean...those are movements not correctedly captured by the mo-cap, and not fixed...apart from that, the weight and timing of those characters need some re-touches too.

Regardless of the mo-cap zommbie performance (just like Polar Express), the other parts are quite sweet. If mo-cap were fixed, it could have been much better (just like Monster house.)

amaised
09-06-2006, 07:31 AM
Vanlicht, thank you for your thoughts. Also, I wanted to share this review SMILE just got tonight on Ain't it Cool News! I am excited they mentioned it!!!

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=24398#smile

"Chris Mais' Smile is a beautiful piece of animated performance art. Mixing motion capture, film, 3D animation and orchestral accompaniment the short film is akin to a whimsical magic trick. While being enthralling by narrative, you can't help allowing the mind wander a bit in considering how it was put together, and how the seams in its construction were so well hidden. Smile is a yellow bendy figures who is delighted when a child releases a helium balloon into the room in which Smile is housed. As the child leaves, both Smile and the scowling Pirate bendy try to coax the floating yellow balloon toward themselves. The pantomime micro-epic combines the joys of silent comedy and surprising inventiveness offered by animation. If this example of performance and technology complementing each other is representative of what's available on iTunes, the store should be a treasure trove."

Thanks AICN!

hairy_llama
09-10-2006, 07:28 PM
This is great to hear. I am glad you are trying to earn some money from this and not just posting for free. There are plenty enough "starving artists" who will do anything to get their work seen, and undersell themselves. And many very talented ones. I think it is good to have self-worth. And congrats on getting a contract with Itunes. I hope this trend continues, I know how much work this stuff is to make, and I think you earned every last cent of that $1.99 price tag.

Prob not a good idea to put it in this gallery though, as people expect it to be free...

warpy
09-11-2006, 05:30 AM
i do not think its a sad trend, people need to earn on their work, we are way way way used to having free stuff thrown our way. i wish you good luck chris. the trailer + behind the scenes is worth 5 stars :), it was very entertaining !

amaised
09-14-2006, 03:42 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v710/amaised/filmstrip.jpg
Hello! So far only 2 people have take me up on my offer to get SMILE for free. If there is anyone out there who would still like to see SMILE, please private message me your email address ASAP. I will "gift" SMILE to the first 8 people who message me.

-Chris

PS: You must live in the United States for this to work...

warpy
09-19-2006, 06:16 AM
hey chris,

sorry it took me a bit of time to write this. okay here goes :

i also got it as a gift, so first of all thanks chris (it does work for non usa people, you just gotta know what to do heh).

the movie itself looked very professionaly. i realy liked how chris combined cg work with real life video, it reminds me of those old tv series who tried to do that poorly, but it was realy refreshing to see it being done so professionaly. i especially liked the part with the dog, it was hilarious lol. i think that part should go into the teaser :)

there is a definite sense of cinematogrphic talent there, as if every camera angle was considered and planned in advance to the letter. its realy a great execution.

the story is so amazing, there isnt a single moment where you are left wondering whats going on, being able to convey all those emoitions for 8 minutes but without words is realy spectacular.

in contrary of what was said earlier i think the mocap was good enough and even though there are some minor tweaking involved, i actually like to see some non perfect moves from time to time, it makes everything feel a bit human. although there are times that i even thought the mocap was a bit too human though. but over all i realy enjoyed it, especially because i saw the short after i saw the behind the scenes video.

i was planning on showing this to my brother but again i didnt have the time, i will do it though, i am pretty sure he will like it, i'll try to come back and report how it went along.

@chris, if you have another project like this planned in the future and you want some more realistic characters, creatures and what not. i would definitely like to help you with it.

cheers.

Akoa
09-20-2006, 02:07 AM
Chris was kind enough to gift the animation to me and I have to say this was an extremely entertaining short. The compositing work was great and the way the story is conveyed was incredibly well done considering there was no voice work.

It was some of the best mix of 3D and real video that I have seen. The characters are integrated so well that it looks like they belong where they are, which is rare with this kind of thing. And the lighting on the characters is so well done, I would love to know how this was achieved. Though there was a few issues with the dog and the pirate at the end where the movements didnít match exactly.

My wife and son also enjoyed it, and at a year old it must be pretty darn good to keep his attention for that long.
Great work and amazing quality for what seems to be a pretty small team.

amaised
09-21-2006, 10:42 PM
Thank you so much for viewing the film and for your kind words. For anyone else that is interested, I still have 4 more I can "gift" to anyone who will private message me their e-mail address. Don't be shy! I would appreciate anyone willing to watch it!

Akoa, as far as the lighting goes, the characters were rendered in 3D studio max. The yellow man had a sub-surface scattering material which helped give him that rubbery look. For the pirate I used an custom HDRI reflection map to give him some extra shine and help his reflections match his environment. The compositing was done in 3dsmax as well... I created dummy objects for the ground that were transparent but could recieve shadows. For all the camera tracking, I used 2d3 boujou, which really is a miracle program! I used mental ray as the renderer. (I started the project with max 4, then, over the years I was working on it ended on version 7).

mindovermatter
09-27-2006, 04:23 PM
I watched your preview and found it very appealing. I also like the mix of CG and live action.

I personally don't know what the big fuss is about. There has been more than one preview I've seen here on CGSociety, sometimes the full short is only available on DVD. I would much rather be able to buy and download it than only be able to buy the DVD.

I wish you the best with your short and am happy to hear we can make money from our entertainment.

good luck

mindovermatter

webhead
10-04-2006, 03:44 PM
I accepted the offer of having the film "gifted" to me. I just watched it this morning.
I really enjoyed it. I thought the pacing was very good and it kept my interest throughout, which many shorts do not. The characters were very likeable even though they never spoke. The musical score was excellent. Some very few small crits on a couple of the movements, but, other than that, I found it to be a well directed, and very entertaining short.

zyron99
10-04-2006, 08:22 PM
I got it also as a gift. Thanks again. :) I liked the film. very good seemless intergration with live action.

I'm not very skilled to see any flaws. Where I stood I saw none. I look forward to seeing what other projects you turn out.

Zyron

Womball
10-30-2006, 12:07 AM
I got the gift as well. The music, lighting, life action mixing, cinematagraphy were excellent. Wasn't wild about the mo cap, since some of the actions looked weird with the style of character and I think this style benefits a lot from manual animation.Didn't see any squash and stretch which I think would have really improved things. Also the plot was a little tricky to follow for me, but I was entertained, and that's not an easy task for a 10 minute short. Excellent production values and the first time I have seen a smiley face with SSS shading.

nicoGuy
10-30-2006, 02:09 AM
NIce Stuff

amaised
10-30-2006, 04:47 AM
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I have some good news about SMILE, I just found out that SMILE won 1st Place today for Best Animated Short at the Chicago International Childrens Film Festival. This is the worlds largest Children's Film Festival so I am beyond surprised and pleased. Anyway, thanks again for all the wonderful feedback.

-Chris

CGTalk Moderation
10-30-2006, 04:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.