PDA

View Full Version : displaying an HDRI map in the viewport?

yolao
09-03-2006, 03:03 PM
hi everyone.

I was wondering if there is a way to display in the viewport an hdri map that has been loaded in to the enviromenta in an spherical way.
I want to have a visual representation of the map in the viewport to adjust the position and rotation.

I know that i can map the hdr image in to a sphere but how can i have control of the amount of lighting and reflection that is emited from it individually like in the enviroment settings?.....

thanks in advance

Cheers;)

GeneralLethal
09-03-2006, 04:26 PM
Hi, as I see it HDR environment maps will be displayed by default, unless you lower the "background" value to 0 in the environment shader. (That is, if you add your shader to the pass environment shader stack, if you add it in the render tree for a specific material, it won't be visible).

yolao
09-03-2006, 07:05 PM
thanks Antonin, i can turn down or up the background value and the hdri map will show ON and OFF but just at render time....not in the viewport, and i already try to put the display mode to texture and open GL...although perhaps my video card does not support open gl...

GeneralLethal
09-04-2006, 07:23 PM
Oh right, when you said in the viewport I didn't realize you meant in realtime. I'm not sure that would be possible, since the environment is not applied on actual geometry... I tend to use render regions to place my environment correctly but if anybody has another way I'd be interested in knowing too.

JDex
09-05-2006, 01:42 AM
The only way I know of is to map the image to a sphere (or cube) in the scene. I usually make a small temporary piece of geometry with the clip attached. If you get a sphere primitive and use a spherical projection you can see exactly how the clip is at it's defaults in the environment shader. Then you can rotate the sphere as you want it and manually transfer it's rotation values to the env shader relatively quickly.

yolao
09-05-2006, 01:54 AM
thanks alot guys, i have mapped before an hdri map to an sphere, but is there a way to control individually the amount of reflectivity and light just like the way the enviroment shader does..?

JDex
09-05-2006, 03:54 AM
Use the environment shader... just use a sphere to figure out the positioning.

yolao
09-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Use the environment shader... just use a sphere to figure out the positioning.

good idea, thanks Jason

CGTalk Moderation
09-05-2006, 01:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.