PDA

View Full Version : x2 4800+ VS Opteron 185 VS FX60

CHRiTTeR
09-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Ok, which one is better (using max) coz I cant seem to find any comparative benchmarks with google...

-Thanks,
CHRiTTeR

lots
09-04-2006, 04:49 AM
The Athlon 64 X2 4800+ is a 2.4GHz CPU. The Athlon 64 FX-60 is a 2.6GHz CPU. The Opteron 185 is a 2.6GHz CPU.

They are all based on K8. The 4800 is 200 MHz slower than the other two, thus it will be slower. The Opteron 185 and FX-60 are pretty much the same CPU. The FX-60 has unlocked multipliers though, so it can be overclocked fairly well. Otherwise these CPUs are all identical minus clock speed, so thier performance should be very close to eachother.

Factor in price, and the win will likely go to the 4800 at $295. At that price its performance is "close enough" to the others that the money you save can go into something else, such as better graphics card or more RAM, or both :P

If its not close enough for you, overclock the CPU by 200MHz, and it will perform just like the FX-60 and Opteron 185 (at stock).

CHRiTTeR
09-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Good info, thanks! But why such big differences in price if they are the same? :o

Price doesnt really matter... so is it best to take the opteron 185? Is it more stable or can it be more overclocked or something? Sure there most be something different? :shrug:

lots
09-04-2006, 06:32 PM
Not really, they're pretty much the same. I'd go for the FX-62 though, if price doesnt matter... Or better yet, Intel's Core 2 Duo.

The FX series of CPUs can generally overclock pretty well because of the unlocked multiplier, but the Opteron CPUs tend to go through more quality testing, and thus have better stability at higher clock speeds. Though really, you shouldn't buy a CPU based on how well it overclocks :P

CHRiTTeR
09-05-2006, 06:52 AM
Not really, they're pretty much the same. I'd go for the FX-62 though, if price doesnt matter... Or better yet, Intel's Core 2 Duo.

Yah, I know but I have to choose from these 3 :(

The FX series of CPUs can generally overclock pretty well because of the unlocked multiplier, but the Opteron CPUs tend to go through more quality testing, and thus have better stability at higher clock speeds.

Ok, so the opteron is a more stable CPU and the FX is more suited for overclocking.

Though really, you shouldn't buy a CPU based on how well it overclocks :P

Agreed and I think if someone does long renders on an oc'ed system then that person is asking for troubles :D

I think I'll go for the opteron then, fast & stable = good for rendering!

lots
09-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Dont get me wrong here. You really shouldn't experience any problems with an FX either, even an X2. All that changes is how much money you spend really. I'd shoot for the 4800 because of its price. The extra premium you pay for 1) the Opteron name and 2) the MHz isn't quite worth it.

So long as you buy quality parts (good motherboard, RAM, PSU) you shouldn't really have many stability problems.

CGTalk Moderation
09-05-2006, 01:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.