PDA

View Full Version : Can a Cat Count? (short-film)

AsaMovshovitz
09-03-2006, 11:32 AM
Hi,

>>>link<<< (http://www.savefile.com/projects/1006163)

or

youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFyhJ0spopM)

here is a short film i finished a few mounths ago, it is about this little cat that learns to count
(it has some cartoon violence)

hope you like it,

Cheers,

Asa

KevinKraeer
09-03-2006, 05:50 PM
Well animated, and nicely paced. I like the design of the cat too. Great work!

AsaMovshovitz
09-05-2006, 03:30 PM
Well animated, and nicely paced. I like the design of the cat too. Great work!

Thanks Kevin:)
here are a few frames for the film
http://img410.imageshack.us/img410/1559/catstillsjn8.th.jpg (http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=catstillsjn8.jpg)

bernoccoli
09-05-2006, 04:12 PM
the general movement of the cat is too floaty, the face is a little rigid.. i didn't feel any kind of personality into the character but..

i just love when cats get hurt.. in any way.. :) funny.

AsaMovshovitz
09-09-2006, 07:22 PM
the general movement of the cat is too floaty, the face is a little rigid.. i didn't feel any kind of personality into the character but..

Thanks ephixx for the C&C hope to do better and improve in the future, at least you thought it was funny.

AikoWorld
09-11-2006, 12:34 PM
the link is dead

AsaMovshovitz
09-11-2006, 02:45 PM
thanks AikoWorld, but both links seem to be working for me, if you know any better places to host mov please let me know

newellteapot
09-18-2006, 02:15 PM
very funny, dark humoured piece of animation.
Love the design of the cat, it makes it look so hopeless and projected towards his destiny... of death.
well done!

newellteapot
09-18-2006, 04:11 PM
the face is a little rigid.. i didn't feel any kind of personality into the character but..

Hi, I think that it's funny exactly because the face doesn't have many features and all his suicidal intentions are expressed only through his big eyes.
I think that the minimalistic design goes well with black humour, but also it's personal.
Cheers
Monica

AsaMovshovitz
09-20-2006, 10:45 AM
Hi, I think that it's funny exactly because the face doesn't have many features and all his suicidal intentions are expressed only through his big eyes.
I think that the minimalistic design goes well with black humour, but also it's personal.
Cheers
Monica

Thanks Monica:) I am glad you liked it, and you are right, it was a design decision to make him simple (less is more sort of thing) and test if i can still get him reacting to what he is doing. even if it is not perfect it still funny and makes people smile which is what i was trying to do for the start.

cheers,

Asa

lucavfx
09-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Hello,

I think the stiffness of the face works nicely with the slow body movements and the big expressive eyes because characterizes more the cat.
Asa designed a very expressive character which IMHO doesn't need exagerated animation to tell its story.

Perhaps a small critique about the colours:
I think there might be too many colours; I would reduce the colour palette down so to focus the viewers attention more on the gags :)

Anyway a great short, really funny.
(why don't you add a dog's picture on the end credits when the "like dogs" text appear...)

Regards
Luca

AndrewChang
09-22-2006, 05:40 AM
Clever story and cute cat animations. I liked it, hope you do a version with dogs too!

sachin3d
09-22-2006, 05:45 AM
nice work man. really liked the concept and look. nice animation too. keep it up.

GoGoMango
09-22-2006, 06:37 AM
It was cute, however I think the animation could use some work. The story is sorta slow to me and there is no real ending, keep it up though.

newellteapot
09-22-2006, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE=GoGoMango] The story is sorta slow to me and there is no real endingQUOTE]

Hi! to me that's exactly what is funny about it! Slow, rational, intentional progress towards inevitable death...Fastpaced wouldn't work, in my opinion. But it's personal, isn't it?
cheers
Monica

newellteapot
09-25-2006, 11:33 AM
Hello,
Perhaps a small critique about the colours:
I think there might be too many colours; I would reduce the colour palette down so to focus the viewers attention more on the gags :)
Regards
Luca

I agree with Luca, maybe a minimalistic palette would have focused the attention on the gags more.

Monica

AsaMovshovitz
09-26-2006, 02:23 PM
Thanks everyone,

AndrewChang and sachin3d - thanks and yes i hope to that my next project will be with a dog, but he will be the hero since dogs are just lovely...

GoGoMango - thanks, i know that my animation skills is are that good, that why i do my little shorts, to get better next time. As for it beeing a little slow, well even a silly cat will take its time to kill himself:) besides i find too many cg shorts have too many cuts and i prefered to let my shots breath a little, it might needed a little bit more tighting up but for me it worked.

monica-taddei and lucavfx - thanks, and you are right it did have lots of coloures in it, the film started as a few short clips each was different with different color, so they don't work so well when put one after the other...

Asa

newellteapot
09-27-2006, 11:15 AM
moni- thanks, and you are right it did have lots of coloures in it, the film started as a few short clips each was different with different color, so they don't work so well when put one after the other...

Asa

Ok, I see. personally, I would have done everything in shades of black and white with a splash of color, to focus more on the action.
Good job anyway :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-27-2006, 11:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.