PDA

View Full Version : online portfolio and showing your textures question

artraider
09-03-2006, 07:21 AM
I recently posted a bathroom in progress and I have diffrent 512x512 maps, some with just a wall and some with just a floor and outhers with diffrent accesories to the bathroom. My question is if I should try to put all of the textures into a big 1024 and what to do with the diffrent bumps and speculars on one texture map? I am just currious what the best way to present this is because I asume you have to show your textures on a site and its good pratice to get the textures into one map.

AndrewRaZ
09-03-2006, 07:43 AM
you mean like this?

http://onlinewarriors.beyondunreal.com/GACLowResTemplate.jpg

appologies to RO for jacking his submission image from the latest GAC.

anyways, you see he has a lot of the major pieces there, diffuse and normals. i don't think he included any specular maps if he used any, but the same idea applies. however, if your specular map or normal maps, or whatever, are bland, don't show them. nobody cares about a normal map that adds pits to a cement material. they'll care about the rendered image and maybe the diffuse channel, but not the normals-it's basically just blue and pink noise.

other advice: clean up your textures. if you have stray painstrokes, cover them up with a fairly neutral colored mask. just leave enough room between tiles that you don't get bleeding from the mask if the texture gets mipmapped by the renderer. make your textures as appealing as possible. some people put watermarks on their textures when they post them in public places. you probably don't want to do that for stuff on your website though, but it depends on your level of paranoia, and how comfortable you are with the possibility of turning some people off with that watermark.

artraider
09-03-2006, 03:03 PM
I did not mean normal maps, I just mean regular difuse maps that I created.

RO
09-03-2006, 04:05 PM
use a thumbnail size of your textures of a 800x800 or something like that so you can click to get your higher res version so companies can see the details. The main textures that should be shown are color and perhaps a spec map. Normals and alphas are mostly side textures and do not matter in the long run to show. Though now that gaming companies are looking for normals I guess it is good to add a few of them. Also for the love of god if you make a normal map that is 1024x1024 or hell anysize and it has no kind of surface detail just the smooth bends your wasting your normal maps true power. I hate seeing flat looking normal maps with only bevaled edges. You can add a alot of minor details like dents, cracks, dirt, and many more just using photoshop nvida plugin.

CGTalk Moderation
09-03-2006, 04:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.