PDA

View Full Version : Blizzard Art Comp - Protoss Sword Master

blacker
09-02-2006, 09:56 PM
http://www.hostrealm.com/todd/protoss3d-7.jpg

This is what I'm modeling for the Blizzard Art comp. I decided on the Protoss for a few reasons.

No one else seems to be working on a 3d Protoss..
There is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO little reference for them that I feel OK about taking certain liberties with the design.
Protoss freaking rock.. They're like the Covenant Elite from Halo, but they predate Halo!
The changes I made from the original Protoss designs.

They're supposed to be very strong, and very intelligent (telepathic, too). They evolved on a jungle world.. so.. I changed the placement of the toes. With two in front and two thumbs in back, they are now capable of using their feet to grab or hold just as they would do with their hands. Basically I thought of them as chimpanzees.. alien chimpanzees.
The Protoss face/head on the Starcraft box was.. pretty vague and boring.. I decided to give them the head crests that some of my reference pictures had.
For inspiration, I thought of trying to make something akin to an Orcish Blade Master, with a heavy Japanese feel. The Protoss have unique hands with two fingers and 2 thumbs. I'd imagine this would give them fantastic strength when gripping. As such, (and with the Blade Master as inspiration) I wanted to give them big 2-handed swords (not yet pictured). The Protoss are also known for their energy swords, so I've added one to his left gauntlet (not turned on). The frustrating thing about playing as the Protoss in Starcraft was the inability of the infantry units to attack airborne enemies. Running with this frustration, I'm considering adding a barrel for some sort of projectile to the spine of the sword.

I'm currently at 5255 tris for a model which is limited to about 5000 tris. So, I've got some cutting to do. I was going to take this into Zbrush so I was trying to keep all quads on the body. I later decided that it was adding FAR too many extra polys and I'll now have to go back in and collapse some edges.

Comments, questions, concerns, suggestions, critiques would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!

BakerCo
09-02-2006, 11:15 PM
nice clean mesh man I like it alot
lets see some textures! :D

lost...

blacker
09-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Updated

This is about 60% textured. I'll be addind a scale texture to it after the base colors are finalised. I still need to build the sword and texture it and the armor too. I think it's coming along fairly well though.

Please comment.. ;)

http://www.hostrealm.com/todd/protoss3d-8.jpg

living_the_dream
09-11-2006, 12:58 AM
blacker...that looks great. And yes, the Protoss Rock! I chose Zerg instead for mine just cause I like both and I was able to get some really cool creative ideas going with the zerg, but enough of that you can check my post if you are interested in reading/seeing more.

I like the start you have there. I like the asymmetry although I feel like the visual weight tilts a little too much to one side. I know it's a picky detail, but balancing it a little more would make it look great, but don't sacrifice the asymmetry. I think it'd be cool to have scabbards to hold the swords on the side that lacks the heavy armor. That might do the trick.

keep up the great work!

blacker
09-11-2006, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the comments!

I've actually checked yours out. Looks very cool, I think the texturing is where you'll really shine! It definitely matches Zerg-style!

Yeah, it's asymmetrical since he'd lead with his sword hand (and thus, need more protection there) plus it just helps it look more dynamic. I totally agree about adding the sword to that side. Haven't really decided if it will have a scabbard or not though! :) I have one sword already sketched out, but I'm not thrilled with the design. It wouldn't have a scabbard. The other idea I have (not yet sketched) would look a bit like a katana with a hollow barrel along the back edge. We'll see how that goes. :)

Thanks again and good luck on yours! I look forward to seeing more progress!

Tad
09-11-2006, 06:52 AM
I like the mesh a lot.

about the polycount though,

you can shave some from his hair and feet.
hair especially.
you didn't put many polys running along it the long way, where it bends..
but then it has many edges running the other direction.. not very efficient.

and the toes probably won't be seen up close,
though they do look to be built well regaurdless.

blacker
09-11-2006, 07:24 PM
I like the mesh a lot.

about the polycount though,

you can shave some from his hair and feet.
hair especially.
you didn't put many polys running along it the long way, where it bends..
but then it has many edges running the other direction.. not very efficient.

and the toes probably won't be seen up close,
though they do look to be built well regaurdless.

Very true about the hair. That's unfortunately where I made some cuts, too, to get it under budget. I should have improved it before texturing but I may still tweak it. I was a little unsure of what to do. I thought of using tried and true alpha'ed hair, but their hair in the concepts is always in a dreadlock form, and I didn't think it would work well alpha'ed. I may be able to fix it up a bit though.

I also agree that the toes are too detailed, but for this character I wanted him to be able to use his feet as hands (holding things, or hanging by them), so I left all the detail in there.

I was able to cut enough tris to get it down to (I think) 4912 tris. I'll add another few for his plasma sword (which will be alpha'ed) and self illuminated.

Is a 256x256 a good size to use for alpha and illumination maps for the plasma blade & eyes or should I try for even smaller? I don't want it to appear low res compared to the 1024x1024 I'm using for the character or the 512x512 I plan to use for the armor.

blacker
09-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Well, I'm done! If I had more time I'd go back and obliterate those ugly seams but I'm just out of time and energy. Everything was looking GREAT till I went and added some overlays. I'll fix this up but not in time for the contest so I'm submitting a larger version of this to Blizzard.

http://www.hostrealm.com/todd/P_SwordMaster.jpg

Hanska
09-17-2006, 03:25 PM
Nice work man, I like the changes you did in the design. I would make the sword handle a little bigger, it seems too thin and small for his hands. But I might be wrong, cause I havent seen him hold it yet ;) Ow, and the textures look nice. Good luck!

Matroskin
09-18-2006, 01:54 PM
good looking work, man!
I just think it would be better if u had made texture with a bit more of contrast and saturation.
Anyways, it looks nice and u can always imporve it the future :)

keyframekid
11-28-2006, 08:20 PM
Very nice!
My only thought, as a protoss, wouldn't his big sword have some kind of psi-infusion, like the forearm blades? The slight blue glow seems to be a characteristic of their weaponry.

blacker
11-28-2006, 08:40 PM
Very nice!
My only thought, as a protoss, wouldn't his big sword have some kind of psi-infusion, like the forearm blades? The slight blue glow seems to be a characteristic of their weaponry.

Probably should have. :) I just didn't want to give him something everyone would say was a lightsaber. :) At the very least I should have added a glow to it. I just ran out of time to work on it. I'll probably fix him up again in the future though. I'd like to normal map him and completely rework the texture. Hell, since the Blizzard comp is over with, I'll probably re-model some parts, too. ;) I need to give him more personality.. Maybe I'll add some Zerg body parts to his ensemble.

ldgree
05-27-2007, 11:19 AM
Uow i like it... very nice model and mesh... nice work!

G0st
05-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Ill be very bluntly honest with you...

Give this thing a normal map right now, even if just for fun, it deserves it so bad.

Great great work man

blacker
05-28-2007, 09:26 AM
Haha, thanks for the bump guys! ;)

Yeah, I'd like to go back in and redo this guy when I get a chance. There are a few things with the mesh I'd like to fix up a bit and I want to redo the sword and the all of the textures. I've recently given it a go in Mudbox and I really liked the results, so if I'm able to get the time, I'll gladly work on him.

Thanks again for the interest! :)

CGTalk Moderation
05-28-2007, 09:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.