PDA

View Full Version : human skeleton - where are the joint pivots?

aidanwilson
09-01-2006, 10:49 AM
i'm building a generic human rig at the moment, and while i've got plenty of reference for skeletons, anatomy etc one thing i'm finding hard to get hold of is a guide to joints pivot points. Most of the stuff you can guesstimate, but its be good to get hold of something more definitive - anyone got any pointers, or preferably some elaborately detailed pics they can link to ? :)

dunkelzahn
09-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Youīre gonna have lots of fun here. There are joints in the human body (for example knee, finger and toe bones) that donīt have fixed pivot points, but instead they change it during rotation. Google for a detailed femur picture and have a look at the condyle area. Itīs rounded so the lower leg bones can "slip" over it in the process of rotation.

Although these pivot changes are minimal they shouldnīt be taken lightly. Apart from that, pick up a Medical anatomy atlas (Gray or Prometheus). Those are quite good in explaining how the human body works and moves.

Cheers

Chris

aidanwilson
09-01-2006, 11:47 AM
luckily its games rig so it doesnt have to include any complicated slidey stuff!

thanks for the reply, i think i've pretty much got it figured out now

CGTalk Moderation
09-01-2006, 11:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.