PDA

View Full Version : general help please?

krysiak
09-01-2006, 02:31 AM
I don't know if this is some where... I looked but I might have missed it...but I'm new to drawing. I've doodled in the past, but never anything serious. I've fooled around with shading and coloring my friends drawings but have never been able to actually do a drawing of my own. I'm extremely interested in drawing realism (bodies, animals, scenery, and so on) but have no idea where to start. I've done some reading and I remember hearing that to be really good at it, I need to study up on the human anatomy, such as bones, muscles, proportions, etc. My question is... Is there a site or something, that I can just sit down, and study (or numerous sites). A few good sites that I can read and practice and actually work to understand it all. I haven't been able to find any good ones for a complete beginner like me. I appreciate any help that I might get from this and I really want to learn to draw like some of the other people on this site. :)

Rebeccak
09-01-2006, 03:53 PM
krysiak,

Welcome to CGTalk and to the Anatomy Forum. :)

Your best bet if you have no experience drawing is to start here:

BEGINNERS' Drawing Workshop - Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=269026)

As well you might find the exercises useful here:

Beginners' Lounge (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=297229)

I really think posting your work to the first Workshop will get you going - buy the book that is recommended there, and follow the exercises, they are a good place to start.

Learning to draw takes years. Do you have access to drawing / life drawing classes in your area? Often community colleges have informal life drawing sessions which anyone may attend. If you can afford to take a basic drawing class of any kind, I would encourage you to do so. But the book recommended in the first Workshop I listed is excellent. :)

You are welcome to create your own thread here:

Personal Anatomy & Sketchbook Threads (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=200)

See this thread for details:

FAQ: Can I Create My Own Sketchbook or Anatomy Thread? (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=341167)

There are people of all levels who participate and who can give you feedback. Looking forward to seeing your work. :)

As a new user, your first 2 posts are manually validated. After your first 2 posts, your messages will appear right away.

Cheers,

-Rebeccak

krysiak
09-01-2006, 06:47 PM
:) Thanks for the quick reply and all the help. I'll be sure to check out those links and try to get my hands on that book. I'm not really sure if my local college has any art classes or anything to help me. I'm currently trying to get ahold of them and find out (here's hoping that they do). Once I start drawing and actually moving along I'll be sure to post things I do here for feed back and critique. I've seen alot of helpful people on these forums, so hopefully they'll be able to help me.

edit: Ok, I just ordered the book off of amazon and will be doing that as soon as I can. The only other question I have right now is how much anatomy I'll have to study. Is it possible to draw realistic people with out studying the anatomy and bone structures? or will it be best if I take a college course on it?

SpeccySteve
09-02-2006, 12:32 AM
The only other question I have right now is how much anatomy I'll have to study. Is it possible to draw realistic people with out studying the anatomy and bone structures? or will it be best if I take a college course on it?

Just learn how people are put together. You need to know how bones hang off the collarbones and spine and which large muscles connect them to the other bits, you do not need to know how the kidneys connect to the urinal systems.

If you can't see it or its effects on the surface you don't need to know it.

Get on the p2p networks (or search here) and get all of the Andrew Loomis books, good luck with your lifelong journey.

CGTalk Moderation
09-02-2006, 12:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.