PDA

View Full Version : Modeling long stringy low poly hair

shaunster
08-31-2006, 09:21 PM
Hey guys,

I was just wondering is there's any tutorials out there, or maybe someone could give me an example, of modeling long stringy hair for a game character? I'm on a poly budget and can't go crazy with geometry. Is there any good methods out there for doing this that will could out with a good result? Thanks.

Swizzle
09-01-2006, 12:50 AM
If you're trying to get good-looking hair that's also kinda stringy, you should probably use strips of polygons sort of dangling down from the scalp. This technique is used quite often for doing good-looking hair without having to do real strands or something. Just do a streaky sort of texture for the hair and another for the alpha map. If you only do a little bit of light color on your alpha, it should look really thin.

SquirrelyJones
09-02-2006, 03:53 AM
I dunno your budget but here's the main char from resident evil 4 and as you can see they go pretty crazy on the hair. http://www.capcom-central.com/concept/re4/LeonWireFrame.jpg

Carter88
09-04-2006, 05:07 PM
Going on the RE4 wireframe all of the main charecters poly counts were around 10,00 polys, so this should give you a rough idea of what you can aim for with your budget. The alpha/textured planes is probaly the best approach

CGTalk Moderation
09-04-2006, 05:07 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.