PDA

View Full Version : GeForce FX review

elvis
01-27-2003, 07:20 AM
GeForce FX review (in german)
http://www.tecchannel.de/hardware/1109/

use http://babelfish.altavista.com/ if you want a translation.

elvis
01-27-2003, 08:42 AM
well it looks like the NA has officially lifted, and ther reviews are starting to flood in. by the time you guys wake up to your monday morning's (my late monday night / early tuesday morning) there'll no doubt be plenty more.

initial views seem a little negative. word is the quadroFX is a hit while the geforceFX seems to be lacking somewhat. still, we are yet to see the full potential of a DX9 card in DX9 (and openGL 2.0 for that matter) software with considerations like image quality and accuracy. nvidia are also pretty good at developing their drivers to perfection, so i guess we'll have to wait and see what the next 6 months brings us.

Solesurvivor
01-27-2003, 10:50 AM
it's only with their drivers that quadro fx seems to shine, just wait a few months for the X1 drivers to mature, then it'll be a bit different ;)

CgFX
01-27-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Solesurvivor
it's only with their drivers that quadro fx seems to shine, just wait a few months for the X1 drivers to mature, then it'll be a bit different ;)

I hope that smiley means you were joking. :-)

LeeTN
01-27-2003, 05:23 PM
Here's the link to Anand's review of the Geforce FX 5800 Ultra.

Read it here (http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1779).

Seems that nVidia has blown it on this one.

Now, people are saying that the Quadro FX is the saving grace? I think I will get a reasonably priced 980 XGL and a 191T LCD and still pay less for it than for one Quadro FX 1000.

I just don't see the point right now in spending all that money on the Quadro FX. Maybe in 6 months when the drivers and the apps are ready for it....and then again, maybe not....

Solesurvivor
01-27-2003, 07:40 PM
I hope that smiley means you were joking. :-)

nope i'm not, ati is supposed to release a new driver set for the X1 this week...
I really have good hopes that they'll keep on improving this chipset a lot....

And a just bought a TI 4600, modded it to a quadro, because i didn't want to buy an ati because of the drivers, but as soon as the drivers are optimised and stabilised, i'm switching to ati:buttrock:

Matt
01-27-2003, 09:17 PM
No one read any reviews or look at benchmarks until they're correctly done.

GeForceFX is a card made for DX9.

If you bench it vs. the Radeon 9700 in DX9 benchmarks, the GFFX will beat the ATi card every time.

This is the same case as people comparing Voodoo2 SLI setups to the original GeForce launch... (Sort of.)

Wait until the NV35 vs. the R350 and R400.

ATi R400 is the next 'magic' card. We'll wait and see if the NV35 is as good.

DeathCarrot
01-27-2003, 09:36 PM
I hope nV are still going to get some better drivers for the fx when theyre released, if not.. we'll just have to see what the nv31 and nv34 have to say in a few months...

Solesurvivor
01-27-2003, 11:58 PM
GeForceFX is a card made for DX9.

If you bench it vs. the Radeon 9700 in DX9 benchmarks, the GFFX will beat the ATi card every time.

errm, how many games are there who support Directx 9?? None..
How many games are there who support Directx 8? a lot

The battle is fought today, not in the future, cuz when you'll buy a r400 or NV35 they are made for directx 413, but if it isn't out there yet, the card has to prove itself with common technologies, and the geforce fx clearly doesn't do that too good...

And it's one hell of a vacuum cleaner too :p

maelstrom
01-28-2003, 05:17 AM
i just got through a few reviews and the FX gets CREAMED by the 9700 Pro in every antialiasing test. it seems to be faster in standard mode, but not significantly. and it is fricking LOUD! i seriously can't imagine working with a vacuum cleaner in my rig all day :surprised

Geforce FX booting into 3D mode and going back to 2D
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030127/images/geforcefx-boot-hq.mp3

FX in/out of 3D mode

http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030127/images/geforcefx-3dmark-hq.mp3

Radeon 9700
http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030127/images/r9700-boot-hq.mp3

i always was an Nvidian, but if ATI matures it's drivers some more, it seems i'm gonna have to get an X1 for my next rig. post stuff if you find anything concerning performances in Maya between these two cards please!
:)

maelstrom
01-28-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Solesurvivor
errm, how many games are there who support Directx 9?? None..
How many games are there who support Directx 8? a lot

most games don't even take full advantage of DirectX 8 yet. we'll see what happens with doom 3 but id software seems to work close with ATI. (they showed all their demos at the last E3 on Radeons) we'll probably see another two generations of graphic cards come and go until DirectX 9 really makes the impact.

DaForce
01-28-2003, 07:34 AM
i have just read the review on toms hardware and on anandtech.com and they both seem to give fairly different results.

I saw someone metion that tomshardware are full of it, is this the case?? and is anandtech any better.

Ta

CgFX
01-28-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by maelstrom
i always was an Nvidian, but if ATI matures it's drivers some more, it seems i'm gonna have to get an X1 for my next rig. post stuff if you find anything concerning performances in Maya between these two cards please!
:)

What two cards? You have some comments about the GeForce FX and the leap to a conclusion about FireGL X1.

The Quadro 980 XGL is currently beating the snot out of an X1 so I can't imagine the Quadro FX is going to be any different.

We will see when SPEC viewperf, apc, and application benchmarks and reviews come out but my money is on even the Quadro FX 1000 easily beating the FireGL X1.

elvis
01-28-2003, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by DaForce
i have just read the review on toms hardware and on anandtech.com and they both seem to give fairly different results.

I saw someone metion that tomshardware are full of it, is this the case?? and is anandtech any better.

Ta

my advice is ignore anything you read on tomshardware and hardocp. anythng you read anywhere else, make sure at least two other webistes have confirmed it (and not from the same source) before you believe it.

there are too many people out there there days who are either unqualified or biased. you have to be careful who you believe, even online.

DaForce
01-28-2003, 08:55 AM
Elvis: Noted, i thinks i will just get me one of those 9700 pro's and be done with it.

I can trade to the GeForce FX if they get better results once i see some decent reviews.

GregHess
01-28-2003, 03:49 PM
After moshing through all these reviews, I've come up with the following opinions about the Geforce FX.

1) The Cooling system. Though somewhat innovative and "neat" looking, this cooling rig has to go. Most of the negative aspects of the reviews (baring the lack of dx9 benchmarks) are centered around noise. Even when the card is running in low/slow performance mode, its still louder then the competing cards. I understand the card is running hot, but needing an additional power prong, the plunder of the primary pci slot, and the unacceptable noise level is rediculous.

2) Driver problems. Is it me or does this card look forced out the door? Reminds me of ATI's original Radeon 8500 release. Its pretty depressing when artifacts pop up in the benchmarks, and certain features of the card (like some AA settings) don't even work.

3) Performance. I understand this is a new card and it hasn't been optimized yet. But the currently price level (399 USD) is rediculous if its not even beating the competitions 250-275 USD card (pricewatch 9700 pro). Paint me with disappointment while I wait for the Quadro FX reviews.

Unlike the great Ti 4200 cards, I don't think many people will be placing the FX in their workstations...that is unless the workstation is in the adjacent building.

And about tomshardware...whoever gives them more products/money gets a more favorable review. Just a load of crap site, which isn't even run by the same people who originally founded it.

Flyby
01-28-2003, 09:15 PM
euh... kind as ever, huh Greg? :D

You know, the positive side of this "dissapointment" is that the Quadro 4 qards price tags are being pushed downwards...

So , even if the Quadro FX is unable to charm professionals, the next in line sure looks more attracktive.
On condition, of course, there are bug free maxtreme drivers available...

StefanDidak
01-29-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Flyby

On condition, of course, there are bug free maxtreme drivers available...

And on the condition they aren't CPU hogs... shame to see 'the fastest graphics *sub*system' turn into 'not fastest' once there's intense CPU activity going on. :)

Lee3dee
01-29-2003, 09:12 PM
Geforce FX is now portable.
http://www.nvnews.net/images/news/200301/blower2.jpg

01-29-2003, 09:25 PM
LOL... :) :)

DeathCarrot
01-29-2003, 09:28 PM
here was what nvidia originally used it for:
http://home.attbi.com/~typedef.enum/fxoops.jpg

Lee3dee
01-29-2003, 09:30 PM
hahaha yep, i saw that one a few mins later on the same site =)

StefanDidak
01-30-2003, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Hirigashi
Geforce FX is now portable.

And from the looks of that is also multi-functional as a snow-blower ! :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.