PDA

View Full Version : Ma.k: Gans project needs your crits..

taehoon
08-31-2006, 04:11 AM
Well.. This is my first WIP through "game art design".

I'm a senior artist in one of the best game company in California.

and this is my private work for fun.

This time, I'd like to make Ma.k: Gans with game style..

I'm thinking this one with less than 8000 tris and one 1024 x 1024 texture

I'll update the process as many as I can. and here is the reference..

http://www.taehoonoh.com/gans/006.jpg

And I started the modeling.. This is one day work...

See you soon..

* The latest one

http://www.taehoonoh.com/gans/010.jpg

RO
08-31-2006, 04:27 AM
seen your stuff in the 3d highpoly fourms. Welcome I am sure this will rock. :D

taehoon
09-02-2006, 11:10 PM
Recently updated..

http://www.taehoonoh.com/gans/007.jpg

ArchangelTalon
09-02-2006, 11:32 PM
That's really nice, man.

Quite a unique looking machine, you've captured the shape very well, near perfect poly distribution :)

TychoCelchuuu
09-03-2006, 03:05 AM
Looks real nice. You could probably reduce the number of polys you use for those spheres halfway down the "thigh" since they're tough to see even when it's standing still, but other than that I'd say it's really well done.

taehoon
09-06-2006, 07:18 AM
Last few hours work.....

http://www.taehoonoh.com/gans/008.jpg

taehoon
09-07-2006, 06:35 AM
almost finished modeling.. I guess I should make face budget lower around 6000.

Well.. now it's time to UV layout (most un_exciting part ^^;)

All right..

http://www.taehoonoh.com/gans/009.jpg

Swizzle
09-07-2006, 03:48 PM
This is looking absolutely incredible. I do have a couple of minor critiques, though:

The arrangement of things on the bottom (instruments of some sort?) is a bit confusing in the shaded view. It just seems to look like a jumble of random shapes and it just doesn't read very well. That might change once you've started texturing, but the little boxes and stuff you have down there don't add much to the overall form or silhouette of the thing. You might try simplifying this stuff and putting some of the details in the texture.

Second is the tri count. In this last image, the triangle count has jumped from 5136 to 12836! In your first post you said that you wanted a tri count of 8000 or less, so you should start doing optimizations before you start laying out the UVs. There's a lot of extraneous detail in there anyways, considering it's a game model, so you should really think of putting some of the detail on to normal maps and alpha planes.

Those things said, keep going! I want to see this finished. :)

taehoon
09-07-2006, 05:44 PM
..This is looking absolutely incredible. I do have a couple of minor critiques, though:

The arrangement of things on the bottom (instruments of some sort?) is a bit confusing in the shaded view. It just seems to look like a jumble of random shapes and it just doesn't read very well. That might change once you've started texturing, but the little boxes and stuff you have down there don't add much to the overall form or silhouette of the thing. You might try simplifying this stuff and putting some of the details in the texture.

Second is the tri count. In this last image, the triangle count has jumped from 5136 to 12836! In your first post you said that you wanted a tri count of 8000 or less, so you should start doing optimizations before you start laying out the UVs. There's a lot of extraneous detail in there anyways, considering it's a game model, so you should really think of putting some of the detail on to normal maps and alpha planes.

Those things said, keep going! I want to see this finished. :)

Thanks Swizzle.. I'm so happy to meet an advisor like you.
I agree with you silhouette issue... Actually, the Gan (real model) has details like what I modelled.
that wierd fat engine part and some jumble shape is the issue of Gan.. ^^
and that's what I want to express with good shape and texture skill.
well anyway, I have to shrink some geometric detail and save face counts... soon

and the # of poly count from bottom image is the double size of model...
hehe.. I duplicated one more gan and screenshot.. that's why it said big #..
So actual # of itself is "6418",, Thanks for your concern..

Cheers

Taehoon

Swizzle
09-07-2006, 07:38 PM
and the # of poly count from bottom image is the double size of model...
hehe.. I duplicated one more gan and screenshot.. that's why it said big #..
So actual # of itself is "6418",, Thanks for your concern..D'oh! Should've caught that you duplicated the model. My bad. :D

As for the very detailed area I mentioned, the only reason I mentioned it was because there are some things that just won't read very well. If this is meant to be viewed in a game engine, then you'll want to make sure that the overall thing reads well as opposed to every single one of the little details being present. Even if this thing was a few meters tall in-game like it is in your reference picture, I don't think that the average player is going to notice some things very much or at all. I've circled some areas that could use some paring down or elimination altogether:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/xkostolny/problemareas.jpg
Notice that I've circled areas with high mesh detail that won't be seen very much by somebody in a game. The little bump thing on the front of the sort of jumble between the legs could easily be normal mapped or simply painted on, the rivets on the ankle joint plates could be normal mapped as well, and the two sort of bolt shapes on what looks to be the front would probably never be seen unless somebody was looking for them.

These are just some suggestions for optimizing it. You don't necessarily have to do as I've said, but I don't think it would hurt. Game models should read well at low resolutions since many people don't have HDTVs and a lot of people run games at fairly low screen resolutions since they can't run them at the best res. A lot of the details you have here would only read well at high resolutions, and only if somebody was actively looking at all the details.

taehoon
09-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Thanks for your advice and indications on picture..

I totally understand what you mean and I'll optimize face counts following your direction..

haha. Thanks.. I'll work on it soon

Taehoon

taehoon
11-19-2006, 04:14 AM
I'm back from long break...

Well.. I was so busy my real work from my job.. So I didn't pay attention with my private work. and Last a few days, I could finished the first pass of color map. and I'll fix and render again..

Critique is welcome ~

and I deleted many faces and now it has about 5500 tris...

http://www.taehoonoh.com/gans/010.jpg

JustChris
11-19-2006, 04:32 AM
The textures really give out the form very well. I think it looks a bit too rocky for my tastes, but it may just be because of the noise in the texture.

ArchangelTalon
11-19-2006, 12:28 PM
Looking reeeally nice.

I agree that it's a bit too muddy/noisy in places. Especially the large armor plates. They look like they've been caked in runny mud.

Looks to be a fair amount of seams around the head area (but I'm guessing you're aware of those :P).

Por@szek
11-20-2006, 06:02 AM
Darn this one is sweet.
Great work on textures ;)
Keep it up.

taehoon
11-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Thanks for kind comments. I think I made the texture too rocky and bold.

I like more stylish and interesting looking. but it's a little too much. I guess I should change color map another a few days...

all right.. thanks for your interests.

Cheers

Taehoon

CGTalk Moderation
11-21-2006, 05:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.