PDA

View Full Version : Need help with game models

Mrpearlzildjian
08-30-2006, 10:37 PM
Hello all. I just have a few questions about Game character models, and maybe all you experts out there can help me out..please.

Ok, I was just inquiring about poly counts for:

-Main character(s)
-Sub-character(s), such as enemies
-Boss character(s)

Now I know it depends on the game engine itself how many polys can be rendered per frame, however like I said, just an inquiry..just enough for me to know what to model with and what my limitations would be in any particular game environment. Some info would be appreciated. Thank you much.

benclark
08-31-2006, 12:58 PM
This question has been asked hundreds of times, if you search the forums you should get some info

Its annoying when people say that there is no definite answer, but really there isnt. It totally depends on the situation, what platform, what engine, the situation in game and tons of other factors.

A lot of game assets are made multi resolution, there will be verying versions of a model each with different polycounts.

As a rough guide look at the character models posted in the Game Art WiPs forum. Most characters fall into the 3000 - 7000 polys range.

For textures again it totally depends on engine, but you can usually rely on diffuse and spec maps as standard, more powerful engines allow for normal maps, glow maps and procedural shaders too

Mrpearlzildjian
09-01-2006, 01:41 AM
That's about what I thought, and yes I realize there are many many factors relative to the poly count and textures, that's why I made that evident in the post. Like you made out, I really just wanted a rough poly count, similar to the WIPs in the other forums and the like. I was curious as well if main characters and boss characters have higher poly counts and higher res maps than sub characters with substantially lower poly counts. Like I said, unfortunatly I never made it to Game Design so I needed some reference to continue on with my models with. Thanks alot but the way.

CGTalk Moderation
09-01-2006, 01:41 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.