PDA

View Full Version : Starting out in matte painting

killiandw
08-30-2006, 08:39 PM
Ok I have just recently discovered matte painting and would love to learn how to do it. One problem is where do I start and how? If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be greatful thanks

roguenroll
08-31-2006, 01:10 AM
Dylans coles dvds at gnomonworkshop, also check out all the the others one too. I did some study before hand and did sorta ok, with many yrs experience in photoshop.

But untill you get a 2 hour walk through with all the correct techniques from a pro you're only guessing.

good luck its fun stuff.

SOE digital
08-31-2006, 02:03 AM
with all the correct techniques

I'm sure others will disagree but I don't think there is really such thing as correct techniques when it comes to matte painting. What works, works...and just because a pro uses them dosn't mean it's the 'correct' way.

Other than that yes though DVD's have a great following and have certainly helped a lot of people.

Also, practice makes perfect. That's the one thing people tend to forget.

jussing
08-31-2006, 09:54 AM
Buy this book (http://www.amazon.com/Invisible-Art-Legends/dp/081184515X/sr=1-2/qid=1157014396/ref=pd_bbs_2/002-8211714-5537647?ie=UTF8&s=books), and you'll have matte painting inspiration for a lifetime. :)

- Jonas

Staberinde
09-03-2006, 07:56 PM
Killiandw, youíve just asked the question Iíve been meaning to for months but havenít had the guts. Iím a bit in awe of this place and as I have never contributed to CGS I feel as though Iím not qualified to comment.

Rougenroll, thanks for the pointer to Gnomon workshops, Iíll be checking out their site. Iíve heard they have a great rep for training.

Also Jussing, thanks for your link, to The Invisible Art: The Legends of Movie Matte Painting. I clicked on the UK flag on Amazon and they sell it here in the UK as well. I have also just ordered ĎDíartiste Matte Paintingí from Ballistic (http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/dartiste_matte_painting/ (http://www.ballisticpublishing.com/books/dartiste_matte_painting/) )

Canít wait till it arrives.

Well, that was my first post, - it wasnít so bad, see you in another 6 months :)

christian108
09-05-2006, 08:04 AM
"I'm sure others will disagree but I don't think there is really such thing as correct techniques when it comes to matte painting. What works, works...and just because a pro uses them dosn't mean it's the 'correct' way."

Actually there is such a thing as correct techniques. In photoshop there are both destructive and non destructive editing techniques. It is almost essential to learn non destructive editing because you will almost always end up going back to change something. You have to be quick, and make changes fast. When you have a hundred layers in a matte painting, it becomes very difficult to make changes if the layers are not editable or you wish to make slight adjustments.This way you can go back and forth between adjustments to make it perfect without worrying about the original version and such THis includes non destructive techniques like making color change layers as well as masks instead of erasing for each layer (unless you are absolutely sure, or incredibely lazy) of what needs to be done. There are also alot of color correction techniques as well as other perspective, brushwork, and so on and so forth techniques. Each artist uses about a handfull of tools that work really well and they stick to them. Most of all the correct techniques come about with LOTS of practice. They do not come overnight and the learning curve is steep.

good luck
christian

Vold
09-06-2006, 05:49 AM
I have some (stupid) questions:

What is the main difference between a matte painting and a concept art piece?

Is there any rules to follow while making a matte painting?

Any tools that is handy/needed besides a keyboard, mouse and software?

Which software is good working with and why?

Thanks for taking the time to answer these silly questions if you do!

jussing
09-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Concept art is to pre-visualize how things will look in the movie. It's for design purposes only. Look in the "Art of" Star Wars books, and you'll find thousands of sketches and ideas for characters, vehicles and environments for the movies, most of which never made it to the screen.

Matte paintings are pictures actually used in the film, as a composited background (as opposed to a real background, or a fully detailed 3D CGI model).

- Jonas

JJASSO
09-06-2006, 05:42 PM
well killiandw matte painting is a combination of many techniques around, like traditional drawings, painting, digital painting, photography , 3D modeling lighting and rendering , miniatures and much more, my first advice is to see how your actual level is, if you need to learn more 3D or more technical stuff like software ( photoshop, after effects, 3ds max or maya or any other 3D package ) Later you have to test yourself in traditional drawing do you know the rules for nice linear perspective>> do you know the rules of image composition, color theory that is very important.
after that you should take a look at the matte painters around the web what tools do they use and why? how do they achieve those results.
practice is all you have to do for hours a day , matte painting is an actual highly detailed photorealistic image achieved by any number of techniques you want there's no one technique we all use, each one of the matte painters make their own technique , you have give training to your eye, it has to be perfect you have to stare to every place you go , how's does the light hits , how does the light respond to this kind of material etc.

killiandw
09-06-2006, 06:12 PM
well killiandw matte painting is a combination of many techniques around, like traditional drawings, painting, digital painting, photography , 3D modeling lighting and rendering , miniatures and much more, my first advice is to see how your actual level is, if you need to learn more 3D or more technical stuff like software ( photoshop, after effects, 3ds max or maya or any other 3D package ) Later you have to test yourself in traditional drawing do you know the rules for nice linear perspective>> do you know the rules of image composition, color theory that is very important.
after that you should take a look at the matte painters around the web what tools do they use and why? how do they achieve those results.
practice is all you have to do for hours a day , matte painting is an actual highly detailed photorealistic image achieved by any number of techniques you want there's no one technique we all use, each one of the matte painters make their own technique , you have give training to your eye, it has to be perfect you have to stare to every place you go , how's does the light hits , how does the light respond to this kind of material etc.

Well as for traditional methods I am versed in drawing and have a beginner level knowledge of perspective. As for color theory, image compostion I know very little. Although I have a lack of indepth knowledge in those thing I have identified that those are the things I need to learn more about and already have started to read up on them.

As far as programs good I have a great deal of knowledge in photoshop (not a pro but I know my way around it well enough. Its the first program I used so I have spent many sleepless night with it). I also know Maya and 3d modeling (majored in it in college but abadoned it for photoshop).

I was hoping I could find a easy tutorial where I could just follow some instructions and learn it quick, but it doesn't seem so. I understand I got alot of work ahead of me

CGTalk Moderation
09-06-2006, 06:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.